EasyPal stopped working after one day, what happened?

  • billdz.geo
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
      Hi,

      Just started on analogue SSTV a week ago with DM780. Had good success with DM780. Then started looking at nice digital SSTV pics on the web and decided to give EasyPal a try. Downloaded it yesterday morning, got it working with no problem, and made a couple of nice QSOs.

      But yesterday evening, even though I did not change any settings, EasyPal stopped working. At first, clicking on transmit would not key the rig. Then it started keying the rig, but there was no audio at all to the rig (even though I could hear the tones if I plugged earphones into the computer). Tried for hours to get it working again, finally gave up, deleted the program, reinstalled it, and now it is working again, at least for now.

      Any idea what might have caused the crash? And how can I stop it from happening again?

      Using 15/MAR/2009 BETA on a Lenovo desktop running Windows Vista Home Basic. I know that HRD and DM780 must be closed before starting EasyPal, as I only have one COM port to the rig.

      73, Bill NZ5N
    • billdz.geo
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
        It stopped working again and I received an "Input/Output Error" message.

        I wonder if his has something to do with my other rig software tied to the same COM port. For example, when I want to use the WSJT program, I must first exit HRD and DM780. I exit other programs before starting EasyPal, but EasyPal still won't run properly, even after a reboot.

        Thanks for any help and 73,
        Bill NZ5N

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
          Where did you install the program?

          Vista can get very fussy with programs installed under the "program
          files" tree.

          If you do not get any more specific advice and IF it happens again you
          might like to try installing in the root of c: and see if that helps. I
          know it does for some other programs, so it might help EasyPal as well.

          Andy

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
            Hi again Bill,

            Are you using the com port for TxRx switching in EasyPAL?

            I must admit that I gave up on such switching some years ago when I
            installed a Signalink SL-I+ I let that do the switching now...

            I run ICOM equipment and I did try HRD, and I had a big fight with it, in
            the end I came to the conclusion that is was so badly broken with Icom
            equipment that it was not worth the effort. (It does not work with the
            CI-V CT17, so you cannot control multiple radios without using separate
            com ports and separate interfaces.)

            While I was playing about I cam across a very nice utility that might
            help if you have come port issues. However as you use HRD, be wary of
            what I said. It does get confused.

            The utility is a virtual serial com port system. This allows you to set
            up any number of com ports and create software links between them, it
            also allows you to create a one to many arrangement, this allows you to
            share a physical com port with several programs.

            I set this up with several virtual com ports, say com 10,11,12..these
            connected to com4 my real com port. I then told HRD that there was a icom
            xyx on com 10, another on com11 and so on. It worked - almost, however
            HRD could not sort out the common messages coming down via the CT17.
            I'll guess that it ignores the rig identifier as it already "knows" what
            rig is on what com port. However the virtual serial port system worked
            perfectly, and I've used it a couple of other times to test comms
            programs and such like.

            It might be of some use to you, better yet it's freeware.

            http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

            Andy

            On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 19:15:38 -0000
            "billdz.geo" <billdz.geo@...> wrote:

            > It stopped working again and I received an "Input/Output Error" message.
            >
            > I wonder if his has something to do with my other rig software tied to the same COM port. For example, when I want to use the WSJT program, I must first exit HRD and DM780. I exit other programs before starting EasyPal, but EasyPal still won't run properly, even after a reboot.
            >
            > Thanks for any help and 73,
            > Bill NZ5N
            >
            > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "billdz.geo" <billdz.geo@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Just started on analogue SSTV a week ago with DM780. Had good success with DM780. Then started looking at nice digital SSTV pics on the web and decided to give EasyPal a try. Downloaded it yesterday morning, got it working with no problem, and made a couple of nice QSOs.
            > >
            > > But yesterday evening, even though I did not change any settings, EasyPal stopped working. At first, clicking on transmit would not key the rig. Then it started keying the rig, but there was no audio at all to the rig (even though I could hear the tones if I plugged earphones into the computer). Tried for hours to get it working again, finally gave up, deleted the program, reinstalled it, and now it is working again, at least for now.
            > >
            > > Any idea what might have caused the crash? And how can I stop it from happening again?
            > >
            > > Using 15/MAR/2009 BETA on a Lenovo desktop running Windows Vista Home Basic. I know that HRD and DM780 must be closed before starting EasyPal, as I only have one COM port to the rig.
            > >
            > > 73, Bill NZ5N

          • billdz.geo
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
              Hello Andy,

              Thanks for the replies. It looks as though EasyPal, at least this version, is not going to work on my computer. As you suggested, I tried installing directly to C:, and I downloaded the virtual serial port program and tried that, no joy.

              In fact, things have gotten worse. Before, each time I did a reinstall, it would work for a few hours. Now, it never runs properly, even after a fresh reinstall. When I click on LoadPic, my whole screen goes black.

              Also tried running on VOX instead of PTT via the COM port, also no success. What's weird is that, if I plug headphones into the computer, I can hear the tones, but for some reason my VOX is not being tripped.

              Is there an earlier version of EasyPal that might be more stable? Or another Digital SSTV program I could try?

              73, Bill NZ5N

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
                Some people do have problems with Easypal, but from the postings I see it
                is normally a missing dll message, which is strangely a message meaning
                that the sound card is not being seen, or some similar issue.

                I only have two copies of Vista, and they stayed on the machines for the
                time it took me to boot up to check the machines were working, then I put
                linux on them, which is what they were bought for. I use Xp on the
                windows box.

                The fact that easypal did work and now does not suggests that something
                is hanging about somewhere. When you did the reinstall did you completely
                remove the old copy, or was it a reinstall over the top? I'm wondering if
                there is a bit of garbage in the registry that is causing problems.

                As things are not working it would be worth cleaning out everything
                making sure the registry and anything else is clean then trying a new
                install.

                Does the screen really go black, or is it the monitor switching off.
                The monitor might be detecting a bad screen mode and just cuts out. If it
                is, that I might be able to point you at another utility for some graphic
                cards to help control that. (I've never seen any reports of EasyPal doing
                that )

                You prob. already do this, but it's a good idea to create a system restore
                point before you start messing about installing things, it makes for an
                easy get-out if things go wrong.

                Andy

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 26, 2009
                  --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
                  > I only have two copies of Vista, and they stayed on the machines for the
                  > time it took me to boot up to check the machines were working, then I put
                  > linux on them, which is what they were bought for. I use Xp on the
                  > windows box.

                  Yes, I have seen the horror stories about Vista, but so far it has worked fine for me, except for this issue with EasyPal. Maybe I'll try EasyPal on my XP laptop just for a test.

                  > The fact that easypal did work and now does not suggests that something
                  > is hanging about somewhere. When you did the reinstall did you completely
                  > remove the old copy, or was it a reinstall over the top?

                  I deleted EasyPal using the Uninstall tool in the EasyPal folder each time before reinstalling.

                  > As things are not working it would be worth cleaning out everything
                  > making sure the registry and anything else is clean then trying a new
                  > install.

                  How would I do that?

                  > Does the screen really go black, or is it the monitor switching off.
                  > The monitor might be detecting a bad screen mode and just cuts out. If it
                  > is, that I might be able to point you at another utility for some graphic
                  > cards to help control that. (I've never seen any reports of EasyPal doing
                  > that )
                  The screen just goes black and stays black until I click on the black screen, and then the program comes back up.

                  > You prob. already do this, but it's a good idea to create a system restore
                  > point before you start messing about installing things, it makes for an
                  > easy get-out if things go wrong.

                  Yes, I did create a system restore point.

                  Thanks again, Andy,
                  Bill NZ5N
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
                    On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 01:17:09 -0000
                    Using the uninstall should do the job.

                    The big toolsuite for all sorts of things is here:

                    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/0e18b180-9b7a-4c49-8120-c47c5a693683.aspx

                    Autoruns, process monitor and process explorer are good to have around,
                    however they can be VERY complex.

                    I've just looked at Easypal on my system and it uses many of the system
                    reg. entries, but does not appear to use any of it's own here. It
                    tries, but there are no entries. so they may not have been created. (I
                    don't use many of the functions in Easypal so that might be the reason)

                    A silly thought: when you click on the black screen, are you sure that
                    this is not simply Easypal running in full screen mode?

                    ( settings > disable tx/rx click to full screen )

                    That confused me until I disabled the feature. Then I could seethe
                    waterfall and everything else as expected.

                    The two main areas in vista that causes problems are sound and user
                    security.
                    The sound system was pretty much revamped and many of the older programs
                    failed. Lots of complaints about this. The rewrite was done because the
                    sound was sort of embedded into the kernal of the OS and if it crashed
                    so did the system. If I remember correctly the sound system was moved
                    out of the kernal and it runs more as a user type system so if it
                    crashes the kernal can do something about it.

                    The other things was the increased security in terms of what was allowed
                    to run from where.

                    There are of course lots of other things that changed, far more than I
                    know about :-) Of course the other thing was the big increase in
                    processor grunt needed to run everything :-)

                    The reason why I don't run vista is very simple, I don't need it.
                    Everything I have runs fine on XP and if there is one thing I've learnt
                    about windows, is that if it's not broken, don't fix it...

                    I will admit that I am slightly unusual in that I don't use the windows
                    machine for thigs like games, nor do I keep loading lots of things
                    on it, I try things out yes, but they either get used and stay or
                    areremoved. It's mainly used for microcontroller development and the odd
                    bit of work related stuff (office suite type apps) So my windows box does
                    not change very much.

                    Most of my online stuff is done via the linux box, as is the
                    filestore/backup system.

                    Andy

                    "billdz.geo" <billdz.geo@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
                    > > I only have two copies of Vista, and they stayed on the machines for the
                    > > time it took me to boot up to check the machines were working, then I put
                    > > linux on them, which is what they were bought for. I use Xp on the
                    > > windows box.
                    > > >
                    > Yes, I have seen the horror stories about Vista, but so far it has worked fine for me, except for this issue with EasyPal. Maybe I'll try EasyPal on my XP laptop just for a test.
                    >
                    > > The fact that easypal did work and now does not suggests that something
                    > > is hanging about somewhere. When you did the reinstall did you completely
                    > > remove the old copy, or was it a reinstall over the top?
                    > >
                    > I deleted EasyPal using the Uninstall tool in the EasyPal folder each time before reinstalling.
                    >
                    > > As things are not working it would be worth cleaning out everything
                    > > making sure the registry and anything else is clean then trying a new
                    > > install.
                    > >
                    > How would I do that?
                    >
                    > > Does the screen really go black, or is it the monitor switching off.
                    > > The monitor might be detecting a bad screen mode and just cuts out. If it
                    > > is, that I might be able to point you at another utility for some graphic
                    > > cards to help control that. (I've never seen any reports of EasyPal doing
                    > > that )
                    > The screen just goes black and stays black until I click on the black screen, and then the program comes back up.
                    > >
                    > > You prob. already do this, but it's a good idea to create a system restore
                    > > point before you start messing about installing things, it makes for an
                    > > easy get-out if things go wrong.
                    > >
                    > Yes, I did create a system restore point.
                    >
                    > Thanks again, Andy,
                    > Bill NZ5N

                  • billdz.geo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 27, 2009
                      Well, I figured out why it was not working in VOX mode: on my IC-756 Pro II, VOX only works with audio that comes in via the mike jack on the front. VOX does not work with audio that comes in the back ACC port, as it does with my Donner interface.

                      I gave up on trying to run EasyPal in PTT CAT mode, did a system restore, tried everything, crashes every time, it's just not going to work on my computer.

                      But, knock on wood, I seem to have found an acceptable work-around. I bought a USB-serial adapter and was able to get it working stably in PTT rts/dtr mode, on a different COM port. So I have the CAT line running from the rig to COM1, for Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780, and then another cable from the ACC port to COM2, for EasyPal. I do not have to close EasyPal while HRD and DM780 are running.

                      I can even set my receiver to Dual Watch, with one VFO on 14.230 and the other on 14.233, and receive analogue pictures on DM780 and digital pics on EasyPal. I assume this doesn't work if signals are being transmitted at the same time on both frequencies? But I left the radio for several hours and when I returned there were new pictures on both programs.

                      Andy, thanks for the tips, hope to meet you on the air.