Re: Thankyou Dana for c.exe translation to 32bit

  • eriksradio
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 28, 2009
      Yes, there is much multi-threading in EasyPal.

      It is not much use talking about it; this could go on forever.

      I can supply you with the Delphi Source code of one of my first
      experiments with EasyPal. It worked fine.

      You could attempt to compile it in 98. That would reveal the
      problems more than talking.

      I simply do not have the time, but would be delighted if someone
      would do it.

      Erik VK4AES

      --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "jdow" <jdow@...> wrote:

      > You are using multi-threading. That is not compatible with
      Windows 3.1

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
        Erik, I am agreeing with you. You cannot make the project work with
        ANY of the Windows 3.1 family through Windows ME because of the
        threading. That family does not support real multi-threading with
        thread priorities.

        So *I* certainly am not going to try to recompile it for '98 or
        whatever. It's pointless because it won't do the job.

        {^_-} Please I am AGREEING with you by it is pointless as well
        as very hard to do.
        Joanne W6MKU

        > Yes, there is much multi-threading in EasyPal.
        >
        > It is not much use talking about it; this could go on forever.
        >
        > I can supply you with the Delphi Source code of one of my first
        > experiments with EasyPal. It worked fine.
        >
        > You could attempt to compile it in 98. That would reveal the
        > problems more than talking.
        >
        > I simply do not have the time, but would be delighted if someone
        > would do it.
        >
        > Erik VK4AES
        >

        > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "jdow" <jdow@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> You are using multi-threading. That is not compatible with
        > Windows 3.1
        >> family products.
        >>
        >> {^_^}

      • Siegfried Jackstien
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
          the older version runs on my system .... digtrx does and many other software too ....
          so the problem is just the needed time .... so far so bad :-(
          i like to have a small os cause the pc is about 3-4 times faster with win 98 as with win xp
          i have only a laptop with 1.2 ghz and 512 mb ram .... xp does a big pagefile and the harddisk is
          slowing down the system ..... with win 98 and the desktop ready to start an application the system says: 86% free of the 480mb ram ..... win98 is really small :-)
          okay i know i have not enough ram for win 98 .... with 1 gig or 2 it would work ....
          so i asked if it was possible.... if the soft could be compiled to win 98 ....
          i use multipsk on this pc and it works superb .... so most digimodes can run on this system
          i would like to try the newer easypal but i don´t want to install xp .... it slows down my pc
          and there is almost nothing that is better in xp as it is in this old win98 machine ....
          so thanks for your answer erik
          best 73´s de dg9bfc

          <siegfried.jackstie n@...> wrote:

          > dear erik
          > is it possible to compile easypal that it works on an old win 98
          machine
          > would be nice
          > dg9bfc

        • Siegfried Jackstien
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
            i am not a programmer .... so i can not do that ..... maybe another guy out of this group could help with this ....
            greetz
            dg9bfc
            Yes, there is much multi-threading in EasyPal.

            It is not much use talking about it; this could go on forever.

            I can supply you with the Delphi Source code of one of my first
            experiments with EasyPal. It worked fine.

            You could attempt to compile it in 98. That would reveal the
            problems more than talking.

            I simply do not have the time, but would be delighted if someone
            would do it.

            Erik VK4AES

            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups .com, "jdow" <jdow@...> wrote:

            > You are using multi-threading. That is not compatible with
            Windows 3.1
            > family products.
            >
            > {^_^}

          • austin.ve3ncq
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
              Have you tried Windows 2000? I have EasyPal running on a Pentium 500
              MHz box with 256 MB of RAM. The same machine also runs EchoLink, HTTP
              Server, Mail Server, DNS Server, and FTP server. The only thing I had
              to do was raise the priority of EasyPal to real time, and close
              EchoLink so I could access the radio and sound card.

              Meanwhile, I have trouble with Windows XP and associated bloatware on
              a newer, faster machine.

              I'm also working on EasyPal under WINE in Linux. WINE can be set to
              emulate any Windows version, including Vista and 7, which is good
              since I'll never purchase them. So far, it will do everything except
              RS encode/decode - the c.exe update should solve the waterfall issues.
              Any insight into the RS implementation would be appreciated.

              At some point I wouldn't mind trying to get it to compile under native
              Linux, but I understand that such a venture would be extremely
              difficult, unsupported, controversial, and probably futile.

              Austin

              <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

              > the older version runs on my system .... digtrx does and many other
              software too ....
              > so the problem is just the needed time .... so far so bad :-(
              > i like to have a small os cause the pc is about 3-4 times faster
              with win 98 as with win xp
              > i have only a laptop with 1.2 ghz and 512 mb ram .... xp does a big
              pagefile and the harddisk is
              > slowing down the system ..... with win 98 and the desktop ready to
              start an application the system says: 86% free of the 480mb ram .....
              win98 is really small :-)
              > okay i know i have not enough ram for win 98 .... with 1 gig or 2 it
              would work ....
              > so i asked if it was possible.... if the soft could be compiled to
              win 98 ....
              > i use multipsk on this pc and it works superb .... so most digimodes
              can run on this system
              > i would like to try the newer easypal but i don�t want to install xp
              .... it slows down my pc
              > and there is almost nothing that is better in xp as it is in this
              old win98 machine ....
              > so thanks for your answer erik
              > best 73�s de dg9bfc
            • eriksradio
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 1, 2009
                Hi Siegfried,

                There is a very skilled programmer having a look for you.

                Erik

                <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

                > i am not a programmer .... so i can not do that ..... maybe
                another guy out of this group could help with this ....
                > greetz
                > dg9bfc

              • Siegfried Jackstien
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 2, 2009
                  hi erik
                  tnx fer answer .... :-)
                  hopefully there could be a version built that can be used in win 98 ..... i like this old system
                  and many hams use old pc´s for their hamstuff
                  this hobby is expensive enough so why not use an old pc out of somebodys junkbox?!?
                  and with a small os like win98 is ... it runs superfast ...
                  closing windows .... 21 22 23 .... windows closed and pc of
                  3 seconds for ending of windows and switching off .... some of the users that have a new dualcore 4.8ghz with 2 or 3 gig of memory couldn´t do that :-) ( if they use xp or vista)
                  almost any soft runs on win 98 .... or sometimes you have to search for an older version of same soft.
                  many of the older versions can be found as freeware so another way of having a bit more money for the rest of the hobby .... okay in a few years .. xp will be old stuff .... vista too will be old ....
                  every few years you have to switch to another system that is bigger and bigger and so your pc has to be bigger and faster ... grrrrr i hate that ..... if you are a pc user you have to buy another one in a few years .... i try to stay on an old system as long as possible .... no need for the bings and boings and all that colourful scroll down menues .... i need what most others need .... i-net browser, something to write text like in word, excel, powerpoint, mediaplayer and a soundcard for the digi-modes and rs232 and usb for ptt and cat .... thats it! .... and i think that many other hams have the same needs for a pc ..... stable fast with some hamsoft and with internet connection ..... why is there every few years a new system that can NOT do more , do better or can do faster ..... okay enough of that.....
                  have some fun with our hobby and don´t spend to much for pc´s .... better buy some hamgear :-)
                  best 73´s de dg9bfc