Easypal does not run

  • Ron Grossl
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 16, 2009
      Hello, I am very new to Easypal and my new radio, so I am probably
      doing something stupid. I have two computers, one laptop and one
      desktop. Both have Windows XP Professional on them. Other programs
      that use the sound card for SSTV or psk31 work fine. Easypal installs
      and runs fine on the desktop, but since the laptop is the one I want
      to use for my ham radio, it does not work. Easypal installs without
      any errors, but when I try to run it, nothing happens. No error msg,
      no window appears, Task manager does not show that it is running.
      Anyone have any ideas ? Is there a required dll that I might be
      missing ?

      Thanks
      Ron
      WD4LAZ

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
          I installed the latest version (Jan 10 2009). It does put the icon on
          the desktop and puts files in the installation folder. I noticed on
          my computer that it works on, that after the first time the program is
          ran, it adds other files and folders, but on this laptop, that
          doesn't happen. When I start the program from the desktop icon, an
          hour glass comes up for about three seconds and then nothing happens.
          It just goes back to a state as if I hadn't click the icon.
          Strange. I have disabled my virus program, uninstalled Adobe Reader,
          cleaned my registry and even copied the files over from the computer
          that is working. I can't think of anything else.

          By the way, are there any other programs that will work with these
          digital formats ?

          Thanks
          Ron

          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
            Hi Ron:
            Uninstall easypal and run registry cleaner.. reinstall easypal and do not let it put it in program files folder ,, but instead make a folder in the root directory ( c:\EasyPal) and install to it.. This is usually a fix for Vista but may work with this one..Also is this 64 bit XP ? if so try right clicking on the EasyPal icon , properties, and change to run as XP 32 bit ( that one is a guess) and close it down and try running it..
            Let me know what happens..

            Garrett / AA0OI

            I installed the latest version (Jan 10 2009). It does put the icon on
            the desktop and puts files in the installation folder. I noticed on
            my computer that it works on, that after the first time the program is
            ran, it adds other files and folders, but on this laptop, that
            doesn't happen. When I start the program from the desktop icon, an
            hour glass comes up for about three seconds and then nothing happens.
            It just goes back to a state as if I hadn't click the icon.
            Strange. I have disabled my virus program, uninstalled Adobe Reader,
            cleaned my registry and even copied the files over from the computer
            that is working. I can't think of anything else.

            By the way, are there any other programs that will work with these
            digital formats ?

            Thanks
            Ron

            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups .com, Dave Jones <djones@...> wrote:

            > Hi Ron,
            >
            > What version of EasyPal did you install? Did you get an icon for it on
            > the desktop? You might verify that the install program actually put
            the
            > "EasyPal.exe" file in the folder at: C:\Program Files\EasyPal
            >
            > 73 Dave KB4YZ
            >
            > Ron Grossl wrote:
            >
            > > Hello, I am very new to Easypal and my new radio, so I am probably
            > > doing something stupid. I have two computers, one laptop and one
            > > desktop. Both have Windows XP Professional on them. Other programs
            > > that use the sound card for SSTV or psk31 work fine. Easypal installs
            > > and runs fine on the desktop, but since the laptop is the one I want
            > > to use for my ham radio, it does not work. Easypal installs without
            > > any errors, but when I try to run it, nothing happens. No error msg,
            > > no window
            appears, Task manager does not show that it is running.
            > > Anyone have any ideas ? Is there a required dll that I might be
            > > missing ?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > > Ron
            > > WD4LAZ

          • Ron Grossl
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
              I do appreciate the try Garrett, but I did exactly what you said and
              it still doesn't work. It is installed in C:\Easypal and my XP is not
              64 bit. I may have to try reinstalled Windows, but I will wait a
              little while to see if anyone else has ideas.

              Thanks
              Ron

              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
                Hi Ron:
                Ok, do you have any other digital programs installed and do they work??  Is soundcard working on anything else?? (sometimes if easypal can not find a sound card ,,it get confused)  Also sp1 , or 2 or 3  ??

                Garrett / AA0OI

                I do appreciate the try Garrett, but I did exactly what you said and
                it still doesn't work. It is installed in C:\Easypal and my XP is not
                64 bit. I may have to try reinstalled Windows, but I will wait a
                little while to see if anyone else has ideas.

                Thanks
                Ron

                --- In digsstv@yahoogroups .com, AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

                > Hi Ron:
                > Uninstall easypal and run registry cleaner.. reinstall easypal and
                do not let it put it in program files folder ,, but instead make a
                folder in the root directory ( c:\EasyPal) and install to it.. This is
                usually a fix for Vista but may work with this one..Also is this 64
                bit XP ? if so try right clicking on the EasyPal icon , properties,
                and change to run as XP 32 bit ( that one is a guess) and close it
                down and try running it..
                > Let me know what happens..
                >
                > Garrett / AA0OI
                >

                > ____________ _________ _________ __

              • Ron Grossl
                Message 7 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
                  Yes, I have Ham Radio Deluxe and DM780, Digipan, Multipsk, and
                  Digtrx, though I haven't figured out what it does yet. They all
                  detect the sound card fine and decode everything from psk31 to RTTY
                  and regualr SSTV modes. I do have SP3 on this computer and was
                  wondering if that may have something to do with it. Because the
                  Desktop that Easypal works on only has SP2 on it. Has anyone had
                  problems with Service pack 3 ?

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
                    Some have had minor problems with sp3 but it usually just says it can't find a .dll or won't run waterfall text
                    in the program.. multiply instances of EasyPal can also cause problems.. ( Try taking out Digitrx and only installing EasyPal) and try.. ( the other ones will not make a difference).. Did I ( or maybe not- I'm getting old) can not have more than 1 (one) instance of EasyPal on the computer,, ( can but takes some tinkering)
                    Try these,, we're thinking about it and looking for answer..Let me know..

                    Garrett / AA0OI

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
                      Try WinDRM.  It is not able to decode RS encoded files unless you add the RS decoder.  Might be worth a try just to see if it will work on the laptop.
                      http://n1su.com/windrm/download.html
                      http://www.tima.com/~djones/rsdecoder.htm

                      73 Dave KB4YZ

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jan 17, 2009
                        OK, I tried all of that and it doesn't work. However, I restarted in
                        Safe Mode and tried running the program. That does give me an error
                        code which says the hamdrm.dll couldn't be found. Does that mean
                        anything to you ?

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jan 18, 2009
                            Yes, hamdrm.dll "usually" mean that it can not see the sound card, or just can't find it.. but if thats in safe mode, I would think that the driver for the sound card is not being loaded. (safe mode means a min of drivers are loaded, sound may not be one of them)  .. still thinking at this end..

                            Garrett / AA0OI

                            OK, I tried all of that and it doesn't work. However, I restarted in
                            Safe Mode and tried running the program. That does give me an error
                            code which says the hamdrm.dll couldn't be found. Does that mean
                            anything to you ?

                            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups .com, AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

                            > Some have had minor problems with sp3 but it usually just says it
                            can't find a .dll or won't run waterfall text
                            > in the program.. multiply instances of EasyPal can also cause
                            problems.. ( Try taking out Digitrx and only installing EasyPal) and
                            try.. ( the other ones will not make a difference). . Did I ( or maybe
                            not- I'm getting old) can not have more than 1 (one) instance of
                            EasyPal on the computer,, ( can but takes some tinkering)
                            > Try these,, we're thinking about it and looking for answer..Let me
                            know..

                            > Garrett / AA0OI
                            >

                            > ____________ _________ _________ __

                          • Ron Grossl
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jan 18, 2009
                              Well Garrett, I do want you to know that I appreciate all of your help
                              and all the others that chimed in also, but I finally got it fixed.
                              I did it the brute force way, I completely reformatted and
                              reinstalled XP. After getting all drivers and a virus program on
                              there, Easypal was the first thing I installed and it worked fine.
                              Now I have to learn what it is all about :)
                              One thing I did notice that was different, in the sound card mixer
                              that comes up, I now have to select Mic input to get a loud enough
                              signal, whereas before, I used Line input. Can't figure why that
                              would be, but it works and also works with my Psk programs.

                              Anyway, thanks for the input.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jan 18, 2009
                                Ron,

                                Now that you have a clean working system, if you can, take an image of it
                                with Ghost or similar.

                                It saves a lot of messing about if you need to do the same thing again.

                                Andy

                              • Ron Grossl
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jan 18, 2009
                                  Already ahead of you Andy. Been meaning to that for a while but
                                  always forgot. I did it today. Thanks

                                  Ron

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jan 19, 2009
                                    Glad you got it Ron,, hurry and join us on 7.173 almost all day long and into the night..everyday ( barring contesters and turner upers)

                                    Garrett / AA0OI

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 19, 2009
                                      Sitting here monitoring 3.733 and having a quiet read, only to get
                                      distracted by a little squeeky tune every so often.

                                      I find that it's coming from the PC internal speaker, and seems to be
                                      when something happens in easypal, however I'm not sure exactly what
                                      triggers it.

                                      I can't find any setting to tell it to shut up. Is there one that I've
                                      missed?

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 19, 2009
                                        Andy:
                                        Its under setup, called "disable taskbar and pc sounds alert"  about 16 from the top. click and disable.

                                        Garrett / AA0OI

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 19, 2009
                                          Many thanks Garrett,

                                          that's stopped the sounds.
                                          I must have seen that entry in setup dozens of times and still I missed
                                          it. :-)

                                          Andy

                                          On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:10:47 -0800 (PST)
                                          AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

                                          > Andy:
                                          > Its under setup, called "disable taskbar and pc sounds alert"  about 16 from the top. click and disable.
                                          >
                                          > Garrett / AA0OI
                                          >

                                          > ________________________________

                                        • W6IDS
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009

                                            I noticed that upon loading EasyPal, there's a request for problem reports.
                                            So, here's one.  If it's a known problem, sorry.

                                            My Info -=

                                            Acer Aspire M5461

                                            Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.2Ghz  2.2 Ghz
                                            RAM 4 Gb
                                            OS  64-bit  SP1  Vista Home Premium

                                            EasyPal ver. 28X/JAN/09 BETA  Compiled on Windows7

                                            I noticed that WFtxt and WFpic are inoperable.  These functions will not
                                            work on Vista 64-bit, the flag says.

                                            FWIW

                                            Howard W6IDS
                                            Richmond, IN
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                              Hi Howard:
                                              Erik reads this reflector, so I'm sure he will see this,, I "believe" that is a know problem and it has to do with the 64 bit system...  But wait and see if Erik doesn't answer you,, if not I will forward it to him ( Jim W9PKC) has same problem and is running 64 bit Vista..

                                              Garrett / AA0OI

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                                Many thanks, Garrett.

                                                It's a point of interest for me.  Previously, I had been using EasyPal on a WinXP computer
                                                which was considerably slower, less RAM, etc.  When I had tried to send my callsign, or
                                                a pix, etc I found that it would appear in the EasyPal directory for a moment, then it would
                                                disappear.  Nothing would be transmitted of course.

                                                It was alluded that most likely it was due to my system limitatins.  Then, my computer took
                                                a major crash one day, four months ago.  So, I wound up with a new computer and VISTA.
                                                That said, I've had no problems whatsoever with it, other than properly using the system's
                                                multi-media/HD components;  it's certainly not like the XP audio configuration I used, but
                                                I've got it working.

                                                EasyPal installed and loads up just fine

                                                All my ham applications work.....except my "legacy" XPwin for my PK-232.  I still have an
                                                interest in PACTOR I QSOs to this day.  To be honest, I'd switch back to XP just for that,
                                                if I could, silly as it sounds, so I could run my XPwin program.

                                                Anyway, many thanks for the kind reply.

                                                Howard W6IDS
                                                Richmond, IN
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                                  That warning is generated within EasyPal to advise what it says.

                                                  Unfortunately there is a small file "C.EXE" which is a 16bit DOS
                                                  program which makes these wav files from text.
                                                  64bit OP systems will not run 16bit applications.

                                                  "C.EXE" was compiled in the old MS QUICK BASIC, and so is a 16bit
                                                  program and cannot be changed to 32bit with the QB compiler.

                                                  I have tried to compile it to 32bits with other Basic compilers.
                                                  "Free Basic" is said to be somewhat QB compatible.
                                                  However there were many compiler errors and I just did not want to
                                                  spend endless hours getting up to date with Free Basic.

                                                  I have the source code for "c.exe" and would be absolutely
                                                  delighted and thankful if anyone could re-compile this for me in
                                                  32bits.

                                                  This would solve the problem for all users.

                                                  Any takers ?

                                                  Erik

                                                  --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "W6IDS" <w6ids@...> wrote:

                                                  > I noticed that upon loading EasyPal, there's a request for
                                                  problem reports.
                                                  > So, here's one. If it's a known problem, sorry.
                                                  >
                                                  > My Info -=
                                                  >
                                                  > Acer Aspire M5461
                                                  >
                                                  > Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.2Ghz 2.2 Ghz
                                                  > RAM 4 Gb
                                                  > OS 64-bit SP1 Vista Home Premium
                                                  >
                                                  > EasyPal ver. 28X/JAN/09 BETA Compiled on Windows7
                                                  >
                                                  > I noticed that WFtxt and WFpic are inoperable. These functions
                                                  will not
                                                  > work on Vista 64-bit, the flag says.
                                                  >
                                                  > FWIW
                                                  >
                                                  > Howard W6IDS
                                                  > Richmond, IN

                                                • Jim Hiley
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 2, 2009
                                                    Erik,
                                                    I am learning Liberty Basic after many years of being happy with QB.
                                                    I am very green when it comes to Windows programing but at least I
                                                    can follow Quick Basic.

                                                    Send me the source and I will give it a try.
                                                    I only have XP here but Liberty Basic runs on Vista OK with the usual
                                                    permissions fiasco...

                                                    Jim VK7JH

                                                    >Unfortunately there is a small file "C.EXE" which is a 16bit DOS
                                                    >program which makes these wav files from text.
                                                    >64bit OP systems will not run 16bit applications.
                                                    >
                                                    >"C.EXE" was compiled in the old MS QUICK BASIC, and so is a 16bit
                                                    >program and cannot be changed to 32bit with the QB compiler.
                                                    >
                                                    >I have tried to compile it to 32bits with other Basic compilers.
                                                    >"Free Basic" is said to be somewhat QB compatible.
                                                    >However there were many compiler errors and I just did not want to
                                                    >spend endless hours getting up to date with Free Basic.
                                                    >
                                                    >I have the source code for "c.exe" and would be absolutely
                                                    >delighted and thankful if anyone could re-compile this for me in
                                                    >32bits.
                                                    >
                                                    >This would solve the problem for all users.
                                                    >
                                                    >Any takers ?
                                                    >
                                                    >Erik
                                                  • eriksradio
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 3, 2009