Easy Pal

  • mike cox
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
      I have an old IBM thinkpad 600E [1g P2 132m ram] running W2000 sp4
      used for ham stuff only CQ100 etc
      Can anyone tell me why this wont run EasyPal?. It runs most other ham
      software OK. Cant find system requirements for Easypal .Any ideas please
      thx
    • Siegfried Jackstien
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
        dear mike
        i have the same problem with my laptop
        it runs almost any software for hamstuff
        system is win98 .... you see it is an old system but with xp it runs a lot slower so i uninstalled xp and installed win98
        now the machine runs very fast BUT easypal won´t run
        many other hamstuff work great on this pc ...
        would be nice if the programmers of hamsoft would pay attention for the hams that use
        old systems for hamradio
        just my little thoughts
        greetz
        sigi
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2008
          If you are doing things in the software that DOS (Win98 in an leaky
          overcoat) cannot handle don't expect it to work.

          My understanding is that some of the EasyPal features pretty much
          require at least XP. So you have a choice between features and old
          versions. It would also take the author twice as much time or more
          to get what features he could salvage running. Newer compilers do
          not support older OS versions very well.

          {^_^}
          > it runs almost any software for hamstuff
          > system is win98 .... you see it is an old system but with xp it runs a lot
          > slower so i uninstalled xp and installed win98
          > now the machine runs very fast BUT easypal won´t run
          > many other hamstuff work great on this pc ...
          > would be nice if the programmers of hamsoft would pay attention for the
          > hams
          > that use
          > old systems for hamradio
          > just my little thoughts
          > greetz
          > sigi

        • rickprice407
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 10, 2008
            Have you considered putting Linux on the older box?  Without all the overhead that Windows puts in, most Linux versions run on older PCsat an amazing speed with far less memory.  While the only digital SSTV program I found with a Linux version was Digitrx, EasyPAL might be able to run just fine within a WINE emulator instance.  And WINE doesn't kill performance nearly as bad as Windows.  Usally keep an old Linux box down here in the shack but my daughter recently stole it to have an email and chat machine in her room (not allowed to have chat stuff on her work laptop).

            Also is the EasyPAL source available?  Might be worth gettting a group together to do an EasyPal Linux port.  I'm game - can do Java but  my C, C++ and assy are way rusty these days.

            Rick Price
            KC4RP

             No trees were harmed in the making of this email however some electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Siegfried Jackstien" <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

            > dear mike
            > i have the same problem with my laptop
            > it runs almost any software for hamstuff
            > system is win98 .... you see it is an old system but with xp it runs a lot
            > slower so i uninstalled xp and installed win98
            > now the machine runs very fast BUT easypal won´t run
            > many other hamstuff work great on this pc ...
            > would be nice if the programmers of hamsoft would pay attention for the hams
            > that use
            > old systems for hamradio
            > just my little thoughts
            > greetz
            > sigi

          • Greenman
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 11, 2008
              Hello,
              Sorry if this is a dumb question, but can you tell me where to find
              Digitrx for Linux? Can't find it anywhere, just windows stuff.
              Thanks.

              --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, rickprice407 <no_reply@...> wrote:

              > Have you considered putting Linux on the older box? Without all the
              > overhead that Windows puts in, most Linux versions run on older PCsat an
              > amazing speed with far less memory. While the only digital SSTV program
              > I found with a Linux version was Digitrx, EasyPAL might be able to run
            • embark999
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2013
                Just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted suggestions and assistance regarding setting up Easy Pal. Great group!!
                All I (we) need now are a couple days of good signals.

                David
                KK4NTC