Re: [digsstv] Re: Easypal dies during LoadAny on Vista

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2008
      Chris:
      if you haven't, try placing EasyPal in route directory c:\ , name a file called EasyPal.. so  c:\easypal     .and install to that folder
      this has fixed most of the problem with Vista install..

      Garrett / AA0OI

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
        I have it loaded into C:\Program Files\Amateur Radio\EasyPal

        I don't want to have dozens of program directories in the root
        directory. EasyPal isn't the only one that defaults to C:\
        There is also RMS Relay, RMS Packet, RMS Pactor, and others.

        I might try C:\EasyPal as an experiment,
        but I won't keep it there.

        Thanks for the advise,

        Howard

        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

        > Hi Howard:
        > First I will ask, do you have it installed into default directory,
        or have you loaded it into route directory??
        > There seems to be a problem if it is in anything other than the
        route directory in Vista,, should be in C:\
        > Try that first , and let me know..
        >
        > Garrett / AA0OI
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Howard Z.
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
          Thanks Chris,

          I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling.

          Howard

          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Reusch" <ab8zl@...> wrote:

          > I've occasionally had problems with EasyPal crashing (different
          > versions at different points) after upgrading versions. I have
          always
          > been able to resolve it by uninstalling and reinstalling EasyPal.
          > have noticed that the uninstall utility in Vista's Control Panel
          > (Programs and Features) never seems to work with EasyPal so I use
          the
          > uninstall.exe file in the EasyPal folder and then delete the
          folder
          > itself before reinstalling.
          >
          > I'm currently running the Oct. 21st version on both Vista 32 and
          Vista
          > 64 systems without any problems.
          >
          > Chris
          > AB8ZL

        • Robert E. Perry
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2008
            Howard
                       C:\Easypal
             Is where it's going to work the best from. I have tried many different ways. I have found that I have to keep my sound card volume on the computer low and the volume control on the radio has to be on the first line of volume. ( VISTA ) That's with a Rig blaster and  Yaesu FT-890 also with the ( Win XP ) RigBlaster plus and a Icom IC-718 the same way.When using the Kenwood TS-520S and a simple $ 24.95 card that I bought over E-bay it seems to work with the volume control but it'd trickly getting it set up to your sound card.

            I do use Vista ( Laptop ) and XP ( Laptop ) and Win2000 ( Desk Top ) and Unix ( Desk Top ) on different computer. I wish Easypal would work on Unix but for now will have to keep using the other programs.

            Try to get on 7.173 in the morning these guys will do there best to help you out. I receive more that I transmit even thou I have several thousand photo's saved up to transmit some day.One's that haven't been transmit before.

            You have to work at it but it's worth it when you get it done.

            KA0AGC

            I have it loaded into C:\Program Files\Amateur Radio\EasyPal

            I don't want to have dozens of program directories in the root
            directory. EasyPal isn't the only one that defaults to C:\
            There is also RMS Relay, RMS Packet, RMS Pactor, and others.

            I might try C:\EasyPal as an experiment,
            but I won't keep it there.

            Thanks for the advise,

            Howard

            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups .com, AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

            > Hi Howard:
            > First I will ask, do you have it installed into default directory,
            or have you loaded it into route directory??
            > There seems to be a problem if it is in anything other than the
            route directory in Vista,, should be in C:\
            > Try that first , and let me know..
            >
            > Garrett / AA0OI
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • Chris Reusch
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
              Thanks Garrett, but as I said in my post, I am having no problems
              running EasyPal on ether 32 bit or 64 bit Vista in EasyPals default
              directory ("C:\Program Files\EasyPal" or "C:\Program Files (x86)
              \EasyPal"). What problems I did have were solved by doing a full
              uninstall (using the uninstall.exe file in the EasyPal folder) before
              upgrading versions.

              While EasyPal is written and compiled on a Vista system, it doesn't
              seem to fully comply with the standards for Vista programs and this
              may be part of the problem using the uninstall routine from the
              Control Panel. I don't think configuration and user files should be
              stored under the Program Files directory in Vista as it requires
              Administrative privileges and this may be giving some users problems.
              Usually the configuration files are located in their own directory
              under one of the AppData directories and user files in their own
              directory under the users account, but this is still a Beta program
              and it seem to run fine for me as it is (other than the uninstall
              from "Control Panel > Programs and Features").

              My 32 bit system does have "User Account Control" turned off (for
              reasons unrelated to EasyPal) which should eliminate any directory
              restrictions to the "Program Files" directory, but the 64 bit system
              has "User Account Control" on and it still seems to function just as
              well.

              P.S. It's called the "root" directory (C:\), not the "route"
              directory.

              73
              Chris
              AB8ZL

              --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, AA0OI <aa0oi@...> wrote:

              > Chris:
              > if you haven't, try placing EasyPal in route directory c:\ , name a
              file called EasyPal.. so  c:\easypal     .and install to that folder
              > this has fixed most of the problem with Vista install..
              >

              > Garrett / AA0OI

            • Howard Z.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2008
                Problem solved

                EasyPal was complaining that NERO needs a C++ runtime library file.

                Uninstalling NERO version 8 solved the problem.

                NERO used to be just nice s/w for writing CDs and DVDs.
                But it has turned on a bloated mess trying to do way too much.

                I then reinstalled NERO with very very few features - just what I
                think I'll need.

                EasyPal LoadAny function now works.

                Howard