sound card

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
      And while I am here I wonder if the members have recommendations for the best sound card to use with the digital modes. Most of the cards today have all the junk that gamers want and I wonder what everyone is using for the Ham stuff. The one I just installed is an old Creative Ensonic.

      Thanks again

      Stan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008

        Hi Agn Stan:

        The old sound blaster 16 ( SB16) is one of the cheapest and easiest ( sp) to use and can be found on ebay new for about 15 to 20 bucks ( PCI slot) If you can't find one ( I think that Wallie World also has them) if not let me know and I will sell you one for $15.00 and shipping ( about 3 or 4 dollars) I have several and will guarantee they work..

        Garrett / AA0OI

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
              Hello Stan,

              I use the Creative Labs SB Audigy.
              A fairly good sound card. You can find them at Wally World.
              The SB Audigy is much better than an  Creative SB-16.
              Allot better specs than the Creative SB-16.

              73 Gary WB6BNE

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
            Great, I will look around and keep you in mind.

            Stan

            The old sound blaster 16 ( SB16) is one of the cheapest and easiest ( sp) to use and can be found on ebay new for about 15 to 20 bucks ( PCI slot) If you can't find one ( I think that Wallie World also has them) if not let me know and I will sell you one for $15.00 and shipping ( about 3 or 4 dollars) I have several and will guarantee they work..

            Garrett / AA0OI

            And while I am here I wonder if the members have recommendations for the best sound card to use with the digital modes. Most of the cards today have all the junk that gamers want and I wonder what everyone is using for the Ham stuff. The one I just installed is an old Creative Ensonic.

            Thanks again

            Stan

          • Hoby KK8G/AAR5HF
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
              If you don't want to use it for anything except your radio programs, just
              load the drivers. Don't load all the other stuff that comes with the install
              CD
              Hoby AAR5HF MI

              And while I am here I wonder if the members have recommendations for the
              best sound card to use with the digital modes. Most of the cards today have
              all the junk that gamers want and I wonder what everyone is using for the
              Ham stuff. The one I just installed is an old Creative Ensonic.

              Thanks again

              Stan
            • Lee Moore (Gimbert)
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 5, 2008
                --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <wa2uet@...> wrote:

                > And while I am here I wonder if the members have recommendations
                for the best sound card to use with the digital modes. Most of the
                cards today have all the junk that gamers want and I wonder what
                everyone is using for the Ham stuff. The one I just installed is an
                old Creative Ensonic.

                > Thanks again
                >
                > Stan

                Hi Stan.

                The best card is one that works immediately without hassle !!! ;o)
                99% work efficiently but there is always that 1% that is a "mother"
                no matter what !!!

                I use the soundcard built into the Asus mother board that i use for
                all digital amateur radio, these soundcards are just integral
                versions of seperate soundcards and are usually very capable at
                decoding digital streams ... when installed correctly, with supplied
                software... don`t forget to download the latest updates for your
                soundcard too!!

                Meanwhile, the main PC uses a Winradio G305i Software defined Radio
                Receiver PCI card running on the motherboard "Legacy C-Media AC97"
                Soundcard ... the soundcard also deals with a Hauppauge WinTV USB
                card, so i can vouch for the inbuilt soundcard digital
                capability...but has a crystal frequency problem that precludes use
                for SSTV or Weathersat decoding on 137Mhz ...hence the second PC for
                hamradio.

                In the bad old days of the 386 and 486 processors the soundcard to
                use was "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16" .. very reliable, or the
                Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 (yes, 64 bit)... very capable but
                large!!! ..anything else from the same era was Quirky unless it is
                Creative Labs ...

                Hope that is of help.

                Lee ... G6ZSG.
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 6, 2008
                  The sb16 or awe64 are two of the very best without all the crap attached..they can be gotten off ebay for about $15.00. and other places around the net(also win98 and xp have all the drivers in them) the onboard sound cards are not so good.. the AC97 is one of the worst ones built on the motherboards.. Ac98 is better but not great.. Use a add on PCI card (NOT Turtle Beach)  Sound Blaster is first choice..  (at times Wallie World has them) (Stay away for multi-channel cards 5.1,6.1,7.1 surrond sound.  The new onboard sound cards have HD sound and mixers built in,, stay away ( they can be used ,, but are not as easy to configure.. and tend not to want to stay where you put them.(settings)..  Some USB sound cards work ( You can get anything to work,,, IF you want to spend all your time working on sound cards)!

                   http://shopper.cnet.com/sound-cards/creative-sound-blaster-16/4014-9334_9-31512263.html  they are 13.95 to 22 buck on this one,, but there are many others..
                  73's  CUL
                  Garrett / AA0OI

                  > And while I am here I wonder if the members have recommendations
                  for the best sound card to use with the digital modes. Most of the
                  cards today have all the junk that gamers want and I wonder what
                  everyone is using for the Ham stuff. The one I just installed is an
                  old Creative Ensonic.

                  > Thanks again
                  >
                  > Stan

                  Hi Stan.

                  The best card is one that works immediately without hassle !!! ;o)
                  99% work efficiently but there is always that 1% that is a "mother"
                  no matter what !!!

                  I use the soundcard built into the Asus mother board that i use for
                  all digital amateur radio, these soundcards are just integral
                  versions of seperate soundcards and are usually very capable at
                  decoding digital streams ... when installed correctly, with supplied
                  software... don`t forget to download the latest updates for your
                  soundcard too!!

                  Meanwhile, the main PC uses a Winradio G305i Software defined Radio
                  Receiver PCI card running on the motherboard "Legacy C-Media AC97"
                  Soundcard ... the soundcard also deals with a Hauppauge WinTV USB
                  card, so i can vouch for the inbuilt soundcard digital
                  capability.. .but has a crystal frequency problem that precludes use
                  for SSTV or Weathersat decoding on 137Mhz ...hence the second PC for
                  hamradio.

                  In the bad old days of the 386 and 486 processors the soundcard to
                  use was "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16" .. very reliable, or the
                  Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 (yes, 64 bit)... very capable but
                  large!!! ..anything else from the same era was Quirky unless it is
                  Creative Labs ...

                  Hope that is of help.

                  Lee ... G6ZSG.

                • cesco12342000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 6, 2008
                    >but there are many others..

                    I have used the creative mp3 usb card for quite some time. I have also
                    used ac97 and other mainboard cards with good sucess, even the 7.1
                    realteck does a good job. Discovering the right settings of the 7.1 cards
                    is hard, i can confirm.

                    I have also tested the creative x-fi music, does a good job, but
                    discovering the right settings for this thing is really hard, it's more a
                    gamer type card focused on output.

                    I had less sucess with the creative 24bit live usb card.

                    Now i'm using the m-audio audiophile 192.
                    Cant recommend it, but it's what i need for the softrock ...
                  • Stan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 6, 2008
                      One problem with these old sound cards is the fact that MB's have been missing the ISA slots for some time now.

                      Stan

                      > And while I am here I wonder if the members have recommendations
                      for the best sound card to use with the digital modes. Most of the
                      cards today have all the junk that gamers want and I wonder what
                      everyone is using for the Ham stuff. The one I just installed is an
                      old Creative Ensonic.

                      > Thanks again
                      >
                      > Stan

                      Hi Stan.

                      The best card is one that works immediately without hassle !!! ;o)
                      99% work efficiently but there is always that 1% that is a "mother"
                      no matter what !!!

                      I use the soundcard built into the Asus mother board that i use for
                      all digital amateur radio, these soundcards are just integral
                      versions of seperate soundcards and are usually very capable at
                      decoding digital streams ... when installed correctly, with supplied
                      software... don`t forget to download the latest updates for your
                      soundcard too!!

                      Meanwhile, the main PC uses a Winradio G305i Software defined Radio
                      Receiver PCI card running on the motherboard "Legacy C-Media AC97"
                      Soundcard ... the soundcard also deals with a Hauppauge WinTV USB
                      card, so i can vouch for the inbuilt soundcard digital
                      capability.. .but has a crystal frequency problem that precludes use
                      for SSTV or Weathersat decoding on 137Mhz ...hence the second PC for
                      hamradio.

                      In the bad old days of the 386 and 486 processors the soundcard to
                      use was "Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16" .. very reliable, or the
                      Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 (yes, 64 bit)... very capable but
                      large!!! ..anything else from the same era was Quirky unless it is
                      Creative Labs ...

                      Hope that is of help.

                      Lee ... G6ZSG.

                    • Siegfried Jackstien
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2008
                        dear cesco
                        dear groupmembers
                        i had a serious problem with my builtin soundcard (ac97) on my laptop but i could fix it ....
                        i had a really bad hum noise of about 200hz and up (400hz 600hz 800hz) and it changed with the setting of the backlight of the display
                        but never went of ....
                        it was the stepup transformer from the backlight of the lcd panel ....
                        it works at a frequency of abt 100khz and is pulse pause modulated with 200hz ....
                        it is controlled via an analog voltage between 1 and 2 volts dc ....
                        1volt bright display and 2 volt dimmed display ....
                        so my idea was : what will happen when the control line is 0 volts ?!?
                        the pulse pause control went full on ... the display backlight is a little bit brighter  but i can bring it lower via the graphic card software
                        and .... the 200hz noise is fully gone .... now i can use the laptop for digital modes without any problems and it is great to hear music
                        over the hifi amp and the big speakers in my room (was a really mess before)
                        don´t know if others have the same probs with builtin soundcards but my mod works fine for me :-)
                        i just cut the wire that comes from the motherboard to the stepuptransformer and VOILA no more hum noise
                        PS: it is a 1.2 ghz laptop from medion but other brands might have the same backlightcontrol
                        best 73´s de dg9bfc
                        sigi

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7, 2011
                          Wonder if anyone has used the SIGNALINK usb interface it works ok on digipan psk31 can't key my radio ft 857
                          Regard George vk4ajl@...