Another Dead EasyPal

  • w6aav
    Message 1 of 18 , May 10, 2008
      Hello everyone. I am new to this group and I am at the end of the
      road trying to figure out how to find the probem.

      Here is what is going on.

      Up till today the program has been working with no problems. Turned
      it on and I have no receive. I tried several PSK31 programs and
      other digital programs and the all work (send and receive). With the
      Easy Pal I can send and key the rig, but no receive.

      I uninstalled and reinstalled three times. The third time it
      actually started to work! I sent and received pictures for about 30
      minutes. Took a break and shut the program down and came back about
      an hour later and opened the program and again the same problem
      developed and no receive. I can still transmit though which is odd.

      The system software is Windows XP and the interface is the Rigblaster
      Plus. Ham Radio Deluxe and other radio controlled programs work as
      well.

      Anyone have any ideas what I could do?

      Will
      W6AAV
      Message 2 of 18 , May 11, 2008

        Hi Will:

        one of the first things that I would do is to make sure you only have one instance of EasyPal on your computer.. we have found ( in some cases) that more than one will confuse the program ( an some have gotten away with more than one). I would uninstall EasyPal run a registry cleaner ( a free one that work very well is AdvancedWindowsCare.   http://www.download.com/Advanced-WindowsCare-Personal/3000-2086_4-10407614.html   this one is pretty much fool proof..  Then reboot and reinstall.

        do you have AdobieReader on your computer 8.0?? its a problem, upgrade or downgrade will fix.

        Do you have SP2?  Also which ver are you running ?? newest is 23apr08.

        Hope this helps.. if not let me know...

        Garrett / AA0OI

        Message 3 of 18 , May 11, 2008
          Garret,

          I followed your instructions and I still have the same problem which
          is no receive. I checked all other programs and they still work.
          Not sure what is going on. Is there a file missing which could cause
          this or would that affect the whole program iself? If you have any
          other suggestions, please pass them along.

          Thanks for you help.

          Will
          W6AAV

          ______________
          > Be a better friend, newshound, and

        • w6aav
          Message 4 of 18 , May 11, 2008
            Forgot to mention, yes I have SP2 and I have downloaded the latest
            version which is 23 APr 08 version. Not sure what you mean about
            acrobat reader, but it still works.

            ______________
            > Be a better friend, newshound, and

          • David Myers
            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2008
              Hi Will,

              If you have Acrobat Reader 8 or 8.1 installed.. UNINSTALL it. There are issues with it and Easypal.
              Use Acrobat Reader 7 and all will be well.
              Also with Easypal running, check your Soundcard settings, particually the Input level. I have found on some installations of Soundcard Software that the Input level for some reason, gets turned down or muted when the program is run. As you say, it works ok with other programs.

              Just a few suggestions that may help. The Acrobat Reader is a real problem tho.

              73

              Dave  VK2RD / VE3DFK

              30MDG # 39
              DMC # 775

              Forget the Internet. Come and talk to real people.
              Welcome to the world of  Amateur Radio
              Message 6 of 18 , May 11, 2008
                > Hello everyone. I am new to this group and I am at the end of the
                > road trying to figure out how to find the probem.
                >
                > Here is what is going on.
                >
                > Up till today the program has been working with no problems. Turned
                > it on and I have no receive. I tried several PSK31 programs and
                > other digital programs and the all work (send and receive). With the
                > Easy Pal I can send and key the rig, but no receive.
                >
                > I uninstalled and reinstalled three times. The third time it
                > actually started to work! I sent and received pictures for about 30
                > minutes. Took a break and shut the program down and came back about
                > an hour later and opened the program and again the same problem
                > developed and no receive. I can still transmit though which is odd.
                >
                > The system software is Windows XP and the interface is the Rigblaster
                > Plus. Ham Radio Deluxe and other radio controlled programs work as
                > well.
                >
                > Anyone have any ideas what I could do?
                >
                > Will
                > W6AAV

                Good trouble-shooting practice is not to willhe-nillhe reinstall software
                with no good reasoning behind it. A good trouble-shooter asks, "What is
                the last change made before the software stopped working?" If the last
                change was XP SP3 scream at Microsoft.

                Since WE do not know what the latest changes to your system were between
                the time it last worked and the time you discovered it no longer worked
                it will be really hard to help you.

                {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU
              • w6aav
                Message 7 of 18 , May 11, 2008
                  I fully understand not just reinstalling a program an answer to
                  anything. I spent many hours trying to figure out what what going
                  on. No system changes to the computer and no updates or upgrades to
                  the system or software residing on the system. One of the hardest
                  things to do is troubleshoot over the internet and I understand that.
                  I was wondering if maybe there was a new glitch which came out or
                  not. Or if passing thinder storms through a curse in my system
                  Either way, I do appreciate all the help everyone has provided so
                  far. I must ask one question though. The acrobat reader issue with
                  the version 8 or 8.1. What exactly is the issue this has? Of course
                  I am purly asking so I can understand what and why I am doing
                  something and if there is a change coming out to fix the issue.

                  Again to everyone, thank you for all your support and we'll keep
                  plugging away for a sulution.

                • Dave 'Doc' Corio
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 11, 2008
                    While I can't answer the question of why Acrobat Reader 8 is a
                    problem, I can offer a fix that doesn't involve removing it. The problem
                    lies in Acrobat's default setting of automatically checking for updates.
                    This starts a program that runs even when Acrobat is not, and that
                    program seems to cause the problem.

                    Turning off the automatic update option should eliminate Acrobat as
                    a source of problems. They hide it pretty well. Select 'Help' from the
                    menu bar, then click on 'Check For Updates'. On the screen that this
                    produces, lick on the link 'Preferences'. Here you can turn off the
                    auto-update option. Rebooting should eliminate the Reader as a source of
                    trouble.

                    GL es 73
                    Dave
                    KB3MOW

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 11, 2008

                      Sorry that it took me so long to get back to you Will:

                      The things I have suggested that you do have been "known" common problems and solutions..Adobie 8.0 is a"known" problem and so is having more than one EasyPal on your computer.. Try taking off Adobie 8.0 and revert to 7.0.. the taking EasyPal off and cleaning the registry has fixed the problem many times..  Her is another idea,, install HamPal and see if it receives (this is just a test, )  Do you see anything is the water fall at all?? in EasyPal orHamPal?  The issue with EasyPal and Adobie is a .dll.

                      many  ( including myself) have had to go back to 7.0...  Input volume up enought ( sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but have to ask)??  another know problem ( but not a blank waterfall) is the onboard sound cards with AC97 drivers,  this can be fixed by putting in a PCI sound card or updating the drivers ( this is probably not the problem if the other digital programs work

                      OK..  Some have not been able to resolve problems an have gone back to an earlier version ( last resort)..

                      I'll keeping thinking,, and have passed your problem around to the other beta tester and the group on 7.173 during the day..

                      If anyone has an idea, I will pass it along to you.. Let me know if any of this works..

                      Garrett / AA0OI

                      I fully understand not just reinstalling a program an answer to
                      anything. I spent many hours trying to figure out what what going
                      on. No system changes to the computer and no updates or upgrades to
                      the system or software residing on the system. One of the hardest
                      things to do is troubleshoot over the internet and I understand that.
                      I was wondering if maybe there was a new glitch which came out or
                      not. Or if passing thinder storms through a curse in my system
                      Either way, I do appreciate all the help everyone has provided so
                      far. I must ask one question though. The acrobat reader issue with
                      the version 8 or 8.1. What exactly is the issue this has? Of course
                      I am purly asking so I can understand what and why I am doing
                      something and if there is a change coming out to fix the issue.

                      Again to everyone, thank you for all your support and we'll keep
                      plugging away for a sulution.

                      Will
                      W6AAV

                      > > Hello everyone. I am new to this group and I am at the end of
                      the
                      > > road trying to figure out how to find the probem.
                      > >
                      > > Here is what is going on.
                      > >
                      > > Up till today the program has been working with no problems.
                      Turned
                      > > it on and I have no receive. I tried several PSK31 programs and
                      > > other digital programs and the all work (send and receive). With
                      the
                      > > Easy Pal I can send and key the rig, but no receive.
                      > >
                      > > I uninstalled and reinstalled three times. The third time it
                      > > actually started to work! I sent and received pictures for about
                      30
                      > > minutes. Took a break and shut the program down and came back
                      about
                      > > an hour later and opened the program and again the same problem
                      > > developed and no receive. I can still transmit though which is
                      odd.

                      > > The system software is Windows XP and the interface is the
                      Rigblaster
                      > > Plus. Ham Radio Deluxe and other radio controlled programs work
                      as
                      > > well.
                      > >
                      > > Anyone have any ideas what I could do?
                      > >
                      > > Will
                      > > W6AAV
                      >
                      > Good trouble-shooting practice is not to willhe-nillhe reinstall
                      software
                      > with no good reasoning behind it. A good trouble-shooter
                      asks, "What is
                      > the last change made before the software stopped working?" If the
                      last
                      > change was XP SP3 scream at Microsoft.
                      >
                      > Since WE do not know what the latest changes to your system were
                      between
                      > the time it last worked and the time you discovered it no longer
                      worked
                      > it will be really hard to help you.
                      >
                      > {o.o} Joanne, W6MKU

                    • w6aav
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                        Well I uninstalled acrobat reader 8.0 and restarted the computer and
                        still no love from Easy Pal :.( Not sure what to do nect. I guess I
                        can do the other recommendations and try HamPal and see if it will
                        receive.

                        Will

                        ______________

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 12, 2008

                          Ok Will :

                          I have copied all of your email and forwarded them to Erik ( program author) but I think that he's still on vacation ( out prospecting for gold) but should be back any time now.. Also have asked Dave ( KB4YZ) about it.. we'll get it yet..

                          Garrett / AA0OI

                          ____________ __

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                            Not even a new shortcut to the program? Something changed. Did it work
                            at least twice after SP3 was installed to XP? If not, that is where I
                            would look for the problem. Did you make any changes to the audio system?
                            Even as small a change as level settings could make a dramatic difference.

                            {^_^}

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 12, 2008
                              In fact a kicked wire could cause the problem. Has the connector in the
                              back of the radio or the back of the PC been kicked out somehow?

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 13, 2008
                                Thank you very much. I am looking forward to what he has to say
                                could the problem.

                                ______________

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 13, 2008
                                  No changes at all. I am running SP2 for XP. I tried everything I
                                  would think of and what others have recommended. I am baffled, but I
                                  amsure there is an answer out there somewhere.

                                • w6aav
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 13, 2008
                                    I looked everything over and no issues with the cabling. Like I
                                    stated before, PSK31 works just fine and any other PC controlled
                                    programs I have. Can in one day and ne receive. Still scratching my
                                    head.

                                    Will

                                    ______________
                                    > Be a better friend, newshound, and

                                  • Howard Z.
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 9, 2008
                                      Here is my 2 cents worth:

                                      I use Vista laptop and an external USB sound card.

                                      Every single time I use EasyPal I check several things:
                                      1. I check EasyPal is using the correct CALLSIGN - because I have my
                                      MARS callsign and my Amateur Radio callsign.
                                      2. I check EasyPal is using my USB audio speaker and USB audio
                                      mic/linein. Often this changes
                                      3. I go into Vista's sound setup and make sure the USB audio speaker
                                      is not muted and the volume is at 100%. After each reboot I have a
                                      50% chance the output is muted.
                                      4. I go into Vista's sound setup and make sure the USB mike/line-in is
                                      at 100% volume.

                                      Muting and volume changes seem to happen mysteriously, and sometimes
                                      Easypal uses the wrong soundcard.

                                      It only takes a minute to check these items.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 10, 2008
                                        I don't know if this applies to USB soundcards, but I do know that if you plug a USB-serial convertor into one USB port, and then move it to another the com port can change. I suspect that this happens if you move to another USB controller, PC's often have several` sometimes integrated imto one chip.

                                        I'm just wondering if the same is happening to you, and the PC detects what it thinks is a new sound card and so loads a default setup. It might be an idea to mark the USB port that you use so that things are always plugged up the same way.

                                        Andy