Re: [digsstv] Easypal error

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
      never thought of that Garrett, I will try to check that out. Are you saying that Win2000 OS is not USB2.0 compliant or maybe the MB???

      Thanks
      Stan

      From: Stan

      Thanks Ken,
      I have gone round and round with Tigertronics, very helpful and friendly bunch but they blame it totally on the software.

      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
        still maybe the motherboard,, but I have a 750 mhz pent 4 motherboard and it is usb 2.0 compliant.. I think that you said yours is 1.8 so I'm sure that it is (  I should say think) it would be in you manual.

        Garrett / AA0OI

        From: Stan

        Thanks Ken,

        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
          I asked "JEEVES" and I found some info to look for. It seems that if I go to the Device Manager and look at the USB controllers I need to have a controller that is "Enhanced". I do have a "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB controller" so apparently I am USB 2.0 compatible.

          (I think)  :-)

          From: Stan

          Thanks Ken,

          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
            I do have SP4 installed Garrett, thanks again for your efforts.

            Stan

            From: Stan

            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
              one of the guys I talking to on the air right now says 2000nt will run,  and that just plain 2000  ( unless you have up to service pack 6 installed) will not.. take it for what its worth.  also are you using anything else USB like a mouse?

              Garrett / AA0OI

              From: Stan

              Thanks Ken,

              Message 6 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
                Well Garrett, I don't know. As far as I know the Windows 2000 Professional with SP4 is the latest and greatest of the Win2000 OS... It does say on the CD "Built on NT Technology".

                And yes I do have stuff on other USB ports. I have the KVM switch in a USB port and some radio CAT controls plugged in. But the CAT for the radio I am using is plugged into a Serial Port.

                Stan

                From: Stan

                Thanks Ken,
                I have gone round and round with Tigertronics, very helpful and friendly bunch but they blame it totally on the software.

              • Scott
                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 16, 2008
                  Seems to work OK on my Dell laptop.  Running Windows 200 Pro.

                  Scott
                  N0EDV
                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 17, 2008
                    The other trick is to use a powered hub.
                    {^_^}

                    From: Stan

                    Thanks Ken,
                    I have gone round and round with Tigertronics, very helpful and friendly
                    bunch but they blame it totally on the software.
                  • Simon Brown
                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 17, 2008
                      Also look in the event log - Windows will normally report the reason for the
                      system crash.

                      Simon Brown, HB9DRV

                      From: "jdow" <jdow@...>

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 17, 2008
                        Stan, it's not the PC power supply. USB is designed to support 500 ma per
                        port and no more. If you use an unpowered hub and several attached
                        devices you may go over that 500 ma limit pretty quickly. So powered hubs
                        are a very good idea. Depending on the motherboard drawing too much power
                        on the USB ports can blow surface mount fuses, blow ICs, cause a port
                        shutdown that may recover when you power cycle the computer, and so forth.

                        {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                        From: Stan

                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 17, 2008
                          It still could be a lack of power, your first call, Simon.

                          {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 17, 2008
                            The power consumption is not listed in the specs Joanne but I am near certain it does not approach the 500ma you speak of. On the other hand it does not crash when the power button on the signalink is off. I think the Signalink might work with the power off if I increase the volume somehow. The power just turns on the amplifiers. (I think) I shall play with that idea...

                            The only other device on the USB system that would be using any power all the time is the KVM switch. Again, I have no idea the power requirements for that.

                            Where do I find the windows event log that Simon spoke of?

                            Thanks

                            Stan

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 18, 2008
                              One way is on the My Computer icon right click and select "MANAGE".
                              All manner of management tools appear. You want the event viewer. There
                              are several event logs. Check them all for any notices that seem to relate
                              to the USB bus. The last few messages in each log right after a fault
                              happens are the interesting ones. Note their dates and times to make sure
                              they are interesting, of course. Most of the messages are informational
                              SO I'd not worry very much about the ones you don't understand.

                              {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU (Sometimes ignorance IS bliss. {^_-})

                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 18, 2008
                                Awesome!
                                Thanks, I had no idea... Wonder how much stuff I am missing because of my ignorance.

                                Stan

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 18, 2008
                                  Right click early and often. Experiment VERY carefully.

                                  Of course, being into some of the nuts and bolts involved in Windows
                                  programming Simon, Erick, and I know more than most. (I have a secret
                                  weapon sitting behind me. My partner, Loren, has had access to the
                                  Windows OS source code through his work at UniSys. He's a serious
                                  GURU about the aspects of it he had to work with.)

                                  {^_^}