Re: [digsstv] EasyPal and Signalink

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
      Thanks Bud,
      I have tried a HUB and it did not help.

      Stan

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Ken N9VV
      Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:53 PM
      Subject: Re: [digsstv] EasyPal and Signalink

      Stan
      http://www.newegg. com has a powered USB hub for $9 :-)
      sounds like it could be your mobo USB implementation
      de ken n9vv

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
        When does it crash?

        Have you tried moving the PTT over to a plain old serial port?
        Or do you use VOX?

        Does it crash if it's just sitting there?

        When you say "tried a HUB" I presume you meant a powered hub. If so
        then power is not an issue.

        I don't remember if you mentioned you are on Vista or not. But rebooting
        the computer for either XP or Vista is nearly unheard of with the NT
        derived OSs. It happens. It's usually a video driver problem in my
        experience. Although there's no reason a sound driver could not crash
        the OS inside its driver code. So the crash is taking place within the
        driver system. That could be caused by DigiPan using the audio port
        differently than EasyPal. I'd try several other programs, such as WinPSK,
        to see how they behave.

        Do you get any dumps when it crashes? In particular does it make a memory
        dump? (Those are HARD to read. But might help the developer.) Also look
        for Dr. Watson dumps at the right time. (Although I doubt you will see
        one in a machine crash.)

        You should also double check your machine for malware. There is some
        REALLY nasty stuff that got out at Christmas time. There are some
        USB "Picture Frames" that were sold pre-equipped with a root-kit level
        malware that is hard to detect, contagious as heck, and anything but
        beneficial to your machine. (It makes your machine part of a bot-net
        used for spamming, phishes, machine attacks, and in some cases even
        as HTTP servers for the goods the spammers are trying to get you to
        buy.) That could, in theory, provide a load on your machine which could
        lead to the crash.

        Also check with TaskManager to see if your machine is being pushed too
        hard by the software. Look at the performance tab graph. If you are up
        above 75% running EasyPal you may experience problems, although crashes
        would not normally be one of the problems I'd expect.

        You say "reboot" below so I am leaving out some other things that can
        happen, including one "effect" that seems to be endemic to XP's
        "explorer.exe", the desktop environment. It will, from tiem to time,
        go into an infinite loop apparently locking up the machine. On single
        processor machines the usual solution is a reboot. Although sometimes
        you can get TaskManager up, kill explorer.exe, then use TaskManager to
        restart explorer.exe. That will allow you to save files. Although some
        of the tray contents may be missing.

        {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU

> [...]
      • Stan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
          WOW, lots of info there, thanks Joanne.

          I am running Win2000 on a home brew computer with a P4. The HUB is powered with a 3.8A wall wart. Easypal in combination with the Signalink is the only time I have any problems with the computer. This computer is dedicated to Ham stuff and is connected to my main display with a KVM switch. I have been just leaving it sit there collecting pictures for the last month or so. There has been no problem using the Rascal interface, just the Signalink USB. I have not transmitted with it at all so far.

          When I switch over to it many times with the KVM switch I find it rebooted. No messages or anything just a fresh reboot.

          At the moment I have the Signalink connected to my laptop running the same software and I just got a crash (not a reboot) with a blue screen and some info like: "***STOP: 0X0000001E (and 4 more #'s like this)
                                 KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

          WOW that is scary! Does that mean anything to you? I had to power down to get out of this screen!

          I have used the Rascal interface many times with this laptop and never seen anything like this. It has to be something with the Signalink and EasyPal...

          Stan

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
            For that blue screen there should be a memory dump that might help
            figure it all out. (But then, it might not.)

            It will likely live in C:\winnt\system32. Look for either "MiniDump" or
            "MEMORY.DMP". There might be a crash log at
            "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr
            Watson\user.dmp" (You may have to cut the folder part of the above
            name and paste it into the "Address:" line for the explorer window to
            get to that directory easily.)

            But that may likely include a lot of other crashes, too.

            One of them may be useful for figuring out what went crash.

            Now, one thing I do know, from my partner doing some USB device
            development, is that the W2K USB stack leaves something to be desired. I
            would expect the logs to ultimately suggest something like that.

            Heck, the other numbers (and lines) in the blue screen dump might be
            interesting. It often contains information about what broke. (The trick
            to save a LOT of typing is to take a picture of the screen. That's how
            I diagnosed why my laptop was crashing on boot. It turns out a critical
            file was corrupted on the disk. And the file could not be fixed on that
            disk. I used Linux to make a disk copy and fixed the file on the copy
            disk. I'm still using that.)

            {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU