HamPal and FT-8900R

  • joel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2008
      Hello

      I'm completely new to digital SSTV, and am in need of some advice.

      The local digital group uses hampal on 2m. I have an ft-8900R and a
      computer running XP. The computer has both USB and a soundcard that I
      dont use for anything else.

      So, what I need is some advice about interfacing these two components
      so that digital (hampal) on 2m will work for me.

      I'm open to any and all suggestions, both "build-my-own" and off the
      shelf buy.

      Thanks

      Tim R
      VK4YEH
    • David Myers
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
        Hi Tim,

        Very easy to roll your own. All you need is 2 small
        Isolation transformers and an Opto Isolator and some cable
        and plugs. Do a Google search for "SSTV INTERFACE" and you
        will find plenty of circuits.
        There are many ready made units out there but they cost an
        arm and a bit whereas you can make your own for about $10.
        There are pinout details so you can interface direct to the
        Data Port on the rear of the radio so that you do not have
        to use the Microphone plug to get your sigs in to the radio.

        Cheers,

        Dave VK2RD / VE3DFK

        30MDG # 39
        DMC # 775
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
          Have you checked with the local hams to see what interface they use?
          That would probably be the easiest method. Barring that, I would think
          any interface that works for WSJT would work (the one I use for WSJT
          works fine for me with EasyPal). Try a Google search on WSJT interface
          and that should get you started.

          Scott N0EDV
          http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
          Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
          Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)

          joel wrote:

          > Hello
          >
          > I'm completely new to digital SSTV, and am in need of some advice.
          >
          > The local digital group uses hampal on 2m. I have an ft-8900R and a
          > computer running XP. The computer has both USB and a soundcard that I
          > dont use for anything else.
          >
          > So, what I need is some advice about interfacing these two components
          > so that digital (hampal) on 2m will work for me.
          >
          > I'm open to any and all suggestions, both "build-my-own" and off the
          > shelf buy.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Tim R
          > VK4YEH

        • joel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
            Thanks Scott.

            yes I have talked to the local guys and they use a variety of
            interfaces, but none use the ft-8900. So, I thought I'd ask around a
            bit further before I commit to anything.

            It seems that just a couple of impedance matching transformers works
            as well as any expensive gear for high signal areas, which I am in.

            So, looks like a job for the soldering iron!

            Tim R
            VK4YEH

            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Scott <acepilot@...> wrote:

            > Have you checked with the local hams to see what interface they use?
            > That would probably be the easiest method. Barring that, I would think
            > any interface that works for WSJT would work (the one I use for WSJT
            > works fine for me with EasyPal). Try a Google search on WSJT interface
            > and that should get you started.
            >
            > Scott N0EDV
            > http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
            > Gotta Fly or Gonna Die
            > Building RV-4 (Super Slow Build Version)
            >

            > joel wrote:
            >
            > > Hello
            > >
            > > I'm completely new to digital SSTV, and am in need of some advice.
            > >
            > > The local digital group uses hampal on 2m. I have an ft-8900R and a
            > > computer running XP. The computer has both USB and a soundcard that I
            > > dont use for anything else.
            > >
            > > So, what I need is some advice about interfacing these two components
            > > so that digital (hampal) on 2m will work for me.
            > >
            > > I'm open to any and all suggestions, both "build-my-own" and off the
            > > shelf buy.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Tim R
            > > VK4YEH

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2008
              As far as I know, most people just use audio transformers with a 1:1
              turns ratio such as a 600 ohm:600 ohm transformer like commonly used in
              computer modems, etc. The big thing seems to be to keep the radio
              ground separate from the PC ground to avoid ground loops (hum).
              Optoisolators work great for the PTT line.