Re: [digsstv] Better suggestion

  • Bob Poortinga
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
      As a software developer, I agree that the quality of Erik's software is
      below what I would consider acceptable for a commercial application. However,
      since Erik is providing his programs for FREE, there is no basis for slamming
      him or his work. If you think you can do better, then do it. Otherwise just
      be thankful that someone is gracious enough to donate their time and effort to
      make this available. About the only beef I have with Erik is that he adds
      features to his programs that make them incompatible with the alternatives.

      If you don't like the 'PAL' programs, don't use them. Remember you get
      what you pay for. My personal preference is Windrm. It's simple, easy
      to use, and it works.

      73 de
      --
      Bob Poortinga K9SQL
      Bloomington, Indiana US
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
        Hi Bob:
        You hit the nail right on the head Bob,, if you don't like the software, don't use it!!
        Everybody is always upgrading and improving the software that they write,, from MS, to HRD to HamPal ( The first release was not perfect) to MMSSTV ( how many revisions did it go through?)
        EasyPal full is in the development stages and will continue to improve as it goes along.. 30June07 is very stable and runs well on 90% ( a guess) of the computers out there, But I'm sure Erik will continue to fix small problem that arise.  We use it on 40 meters for 6 to 8hrs a day (between 20 and 30 people) and have very few problem, and when we do we work with each other to fix them and then send a report to Erik.  Someday the program will be just perfect, just like MicroSoft ( with its thousands of programers-- that make 100,000 a year) and still all for FREE.

        Garrett / AA0OI

        As a software developer, I agree that the quality of Erik's software is
        below what I would consider acceptable for a commercial application. However,
        since Erik is providing his programs for FREE, there is no basis for slamming
        him or his work. If you think you can do better, then do it. Otherwise just
        be thankful that someone is gracious enough to donate their time and effort to
        make this available. About the only beef I have with Erik is that he adds
        features to his programs that make them incompatible with the alternatives.

        If you don't like the 'PAL' programs, don't use them. Remember you get
        what you pay for. My personal preference is Windrm. It's simple, easy
        to use, and it works.

        73 de
        --
        Bob Poortinga K9SQL
        Bloomington, Indiana US

        Building a website is a piece of cake.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
          And if the error is beyond the control of the developer, what then? As I
          have mentioned there IS a serious problem that comes from distributing
          programs compiled with Visual Studio 2005 SP1. The correct redistributable
          file must accompany the program since this is not a Microsoft Update thing.
          I've had professional problems with this situation I have had to deal with.
          It is ineffably ugly that I have to distribute updated system dlls for
          Microsoft. But that's the way it is.

          That is also why it might be a good idea to know what compiler he is using.
          And if it is a recent (2000 series) Visual Studio knowing if the manifest
          file is compiled into the program or must be distributed separately also
          makes a difference.

          {^_^} Joanne, W6MKU
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2007
            From: "Bob Poortinga" <bobp+yahoo@...>

            > As a software developer, I agree that the quality of Erik's software is
            > below what I would consider acceptable for a commercial application. >
            > 73 de
            > --
            > Bob Poortinga K9SQL

            With those call letters I bet you do database work, right?

            {^_-} Joanne W6MKU, does video software for broadcasters