Minimum PC Requirements

  • m5wjf <screaming@agony.screaming.net>
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2002
      Hi All,

      In the interests of possibly using this new mode in an Emercomms
      setting using NVIS (NZR) HF, where P5 quality stills are desirable,
      exactly what is the minimum PC specification for the software?

      Another question which arises is whether the processing on a slower
      computer would make the use of this mode impracticable?

      I've done the usual search for information in the message archive but
      no-one appears to have raised the issue.

      73 de Wayne M5WJF
    • John <wa1rka@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2002
        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "m5wjf <screaming@a...>"
        <screaming@a...> wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > In the interests of possibly using this new mode in an Emercomms
        > setting using NVIS (NZR) HF, where P5 quality stills are desirable,
        > exactly what is the minimum PC specification for the software?

        Wayne,
        the best rule of thumb would be the faster the better. However I have
        worked stations using anything from a processor speed of 333Megs to
        2.5Gigs.The only real difference is in the time it takes to do the
        decoding. Most stations that are in the 1.5gig range usually take no
        longer than a minute or so for the decoding.

        73
        John
      • m5wjf <screaming@agony.screaming.net>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "John <wa1rka@y...>" <wa1rka@y...>
          wrote:
          > Wayne,
          > the best rule of thumb would be the faster the better. However I
          have
          > worked stations using anything from a processor speed of 333Megs to
          > 2.5Gigs.The only real difference is in the time it takes to do the
          > decoding. Most stations that are in the 1.5gig range usually take
          no
          > longer than a minute or so for the decoding.

          Hi John,

          Yep, probably right, although few RAYNET Groups in the UK would have
          access to the latest and greatest CPU in a Laptop.

          I'm thinking of loading DIGSSTV as an experiment on an old AMD K6
          233MHz PC66 Base alongside my AMD XP 2200+ DDR266 Base, just to
          determine the encode & TX time for the Mode using older equipment.

          On the 2200+ TX time for the Best Quality Picture, for a 1280x960
          image introduced to the TX Window, is 13 minutes 36 seconds, and
          Lowest Quality Picture, for the same image, is 34 seconds.

          I've not heard any DIGSSTV signals yet, so haven't been able to
          decode anything :-(, although some decidedly None-DX will take place
          for interface tuning over a quarter mile to a friend's house.

          Will have to listen out for Leif or you lot across the pond for any
          distance, although I'm more interested in proving the mode works well
          over NVIS paths inter-G 0-500 miles on a noisy European 40m band.

          I hold a 5MHz NoV, so plan to try the mode over 60m inter-G too!

          73 de Wayne M5WJF