Re: [digsstv] Re: Please provide support for Rig Expert

  • KJ7S/Jim
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17 3:37 AM
      Also, having not dealt with a rigblaster I am at a loss, but for comm port
      operation, some rigs or ptt lines may have to use one of two lines for
      keying, IE: the rts or dtc (not sure of the letter format but close)
      line..sometimes this will produce a full-time keydown if the wrong line is
      being used. Jim KJ7S

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17 6:09 AM
        Jerry,

        If you read the documentation is does state that the com port is ONLY for programs that can talk to Rig Expert directly. So I would expect you to select NOT to use a com port at all.

        From the manual:
        "The Virtual COM Port is created by the driver for internal use only. This means that you can not use
        this "COMxx" with software which does not support the MixW RigExpert device directly."

        When you use MMSSTV, what do you select to get that to work? I would think that it should be exactly the same settings for Hampal or any other soundcard based system.

        As for providing support, no I don't agree at all there. It is for Rig Expert to provide the support, as it's their product. Otherwise it's pot luck if a product is supported or not. You cannot expect people who write the various software packages, many of which are hobby programmers and release the programs as freeware, to buy the various interfaces so that they can develop the software to suport them.

        Rig Expert has provided a virtual sound card for their product, so if they have done their job correctly it should work, and you say it does work with MMSSTV. I've used basic soundcards for ages and they have all worked without any real problems. (hardware compatiability issues aside of course)

        Soundcards are available to plug into computers, you don't have to use the systems on the motherboard. (Just disable the on board sound from the BIOS and the expansion card will take over) I did have a bit of a fight with the onboard sound system on this new Dell, but eventually I sorted it out. (I was almost at the point of installing a simple soundblaster card)

        The lack of serial ports, well I think it is a silly error in not having serial ports, especially as in most cases the hardware is still built into the support chips on the motherboard, it's just the connectors that are missing. I find them very useful, in fact the last laptop I bought was chosen because it had a serial port. This Dell desktop did not, but a USB to serial adaptor solved that problem. Likewise a USB to PS2 Kbd and mouse adaptor solved that problem. (I use a KVM switch unit to connect to my machines from a single keyboard and mouse)

        Hope you find the way to make this work...

        Andy

        On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:59:26 -0000
        "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn@...> wrote:

        > Andy,
        >
        > Yes MMSSTV works fine, I have tried different Com ports for Easy Pal,
        > every setting results in a constant PTT output. Also Ham Pal keys PTT
        > no matter what Com port is selected.
        >
        > Maybe I am missing something?
        >
        > IMHO there should be support for these new devices as computer
        > manufactures do not supply a Com port or clean sound card.
        >
        > Jerry - K0HZI
        >
        > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Never having seen a RigExpert, I've just done a bit of reading...
        > >
        > > The Rigexpert manual implies that it IS a sound card if you use the
        > Reaudio virtual sound card.
        > >
        > > Are you using this or are you trying some other method?
        > > The manual is very lacking in informaton regarding the reaudio
        > device. It just implies that the PTT control would work as normal, so
        > I wonder if there are any settings that might need to be tweaked. It
        > states that things like MMSSTV work, so it should not be too much of a
        > problem.
        > >

        > > I just tried hampal with my system, which is a signalink, and the
        > tune tones would NOT activate the ptt, but the normal transmit tones
        > worked OK. (I expect a biut of tweaking would solve that)
        > >
        > > Andy
        > >

        > > On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:05:23 -0000
        > > "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > VK4AES Erik,
        > > >
        > > > Please provide support for the Rig Expert and devices like it.
        > > >
        > > > It is getting difficult to find a computer or mother board with Serial
        > > > Com ports. Also some of the mother board sound devices are not very
        > > > good for use with ham digital modes. So we invest in a device such as
        > > > the Rig Blaster or Micro Ham and a few other "virtual sound card"
        > devices.
        > > >
        > > > Here is a link to the Command set for the Rig Expert:
        > > > http://www.mixw.net/RigExpert/cmdset.html
        > > >
        > > > Thank you,
        > > >
        > > > Jerry - K0HZI

      • Jerry W
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 17 6:16 AM
          Jim,

          The device is the Rig Expert: http://www.rigexpert.com/
          Not the RigBlaster, I mistyped and meant Rig Expert.
          The Rig Expert does not use a Com Port for PTT, the
          wave output from the Rig Expert keys the transceiver
          somewhat like a VOX, through the rigs PTT pin on the
          ACC jack.

          I have most all of the sound card programs working
          except for HamPal or EasyPal using the Rig Expert.
          There is no choice for how PTT is set up using RTS
          or DTR on a Com port. I am not sure how EasyPal
          and HamPal work, I know they work with a regular
          Com port using the Serial connector on a computer.
          However, these new computers are coming out
          without a Serial Port. Yes one can invest in a
          USB to Serial adapter. Then the issue of a poor
          sound device installed on the motherboard comes
          into the picture. Some of these sound devices
          are fine for listening to music or voice over
          the Internet, but are not very good for use as
          a sound generator for ham "digital modes".

          So where do you invest more money to get some
          of the sound card modes to work? Buy a USB to
          Serial device, and maybe two USB to Serial
          converters if you also want to use the CAT
          features of some software. Then a separate
          sound card just for "digital modes". So the
          investment comes pretty close to the purchase
          of a device such as the Rig Expert and a few
          more devices that have come out lately like
          the Micro Ham and think MFJ makes a USB
          device something like the Rig Expert, and
          also now Timewave has come out with a device
          USB to rig.

          IMHO it should be time for the programmers to
          look into these new devices as the Serial
          port on the computer seems to be going away.
          And will be quite a while before ham radio
          manufactures start to support USB devices.

          Jerry - K0HZI

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17 7:07 AM
            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

            Jerry,

            If you read the documentation is does state that the com port is ONLY
            for programs that can talk to Rig Expert directly. So I would expect
            you to select NOT to use a com port at all.

            From the manual:
            "The Virtual COM Port is created by the driver for internal use only.
            This means that you can not use
            this "COMxx" with software which does not support the MixW RigExpert
            device directly."

            When you use MMSSTV, what do you select to get that to work? I would
            think that it should be exactly the same settings for Hampal or any
            other soundcard based system.

            On MMSSTV, I select "NONE", it works. On Easy Pal Selecting VOX or 0
            (zero) it keys PTT constantly.

            I am ready to give up on digital "SSTV", bands are to noisy any way.

            Sorry I brought the whole subject up.

            Jerry
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 17 8:29 AM
              That is strange,

              do you run the other Rig Expert software at the same time, or is Reaudio run as a stand-alone application? (I'm just wondering that if the Mix software is still running, or in a strange state maybe the vox tx switching is getting overridden by that.(but unless MMSSTV is being run in a different way, then that almost lets that out of the loop) or unless Easy Pal is sending a low level signal all the time I'm a bit stumped for ideas.

              I've found that hitting the TX delay switch on SignaLink overcomes the problem here of not keying with tuning tones, so I guess that levels are pretty critical.

              The bands are noisy yes, so you have to pick your time. DSSTV is NOT really a listeners mode, it is designed for one to one contacts, and due to band conditions, time of year, sunspots, wind direction, colour of T shirt etc. :-) it is not always easy to find a good strong signal. From here in the UK I find that I get best results on 80m listening to DK or I stations. Not often I get a good local signal.

              I find it an interesting mode, but not as dynamic as the standard analog modes. Don't give up on it, providing your equipment is stable enough once you find a signal just leave the rig monitoring and go away and do something else. I've done that in the past and found 3 or 4 pics waiting when I've got back,

              Don't feel sorry about bringing this up, puzzles like this is how we find out about things..

              Andy

              On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:07:45 -0000
              "Jerry W" <k0hzi.mn@...> wrote:

              > --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:
              >
              > Jerry,
              >
              > If you read the documentation is does state that the com port is ONLY
              > for programs that can talk to Rig Expert directly. So I would expect
              > you to select NOT to use a com port at all.
              >
              > From the manual:
              > "The Virtual COM Port is created by the driver for internal use only.
              > This means that you can not use
              > this "COMxx" with software which does not support the MixW RigExpert
              > device directly."
              >

              > When you use MMSSTV, what do you select to get that to work? I would
              > think that it should be exactly the same settings for Hampal or any
              > other soundcard based system.
              >
              > On MMSSTV, I select "NONE", it works. On Easy Pal Selecting VOX or 0
              > (zero) it keys PTT constantly.
              >
              > I am ready to give up on digital "SSTV", bands are to noisy any way.
              >
              > Sorry I brought the whole subject up.
              >
              > Jerry

            • Jerry W
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 17 9:38 AM
                --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andyyahoo@...> wrote:

                That is strange,

                do you run the other Rig Expert software at the same time,>>>>>> NO,

                or is Reaudio run as a stand-alone application? >>>>> I Think so.

                (I'm just wondering that if the Mix software is still running,>>>> Am
                not running MixW at the same time.

                or in a strange state maybe the vox tx switching is getting overridden
                by that.(but unless MMSSTV is bein run in a different way, then that
                almost lets that out of the loop) or unless Easy Pal is sending a low
                level signal all the time I'm a bit stumped for ideas.>>>>> This
                could be true, because if I select 0 (zero) on EasyPal, or HamPal,
                there is a constant PTT signal. So I am stumped as well.

                MMSSTV, WinPix 32, MULTIPSK, HamScope, All have no Com Port selected
                and they work. With WinPix 32, I have to go to Control Panel and use
                Rig Expert for the sound device, but it worked like that on the old
                computer. I think Don - K0HEO was working on setting his software so
                one could use other sound devices and no need to switch in the Control
                Panel. But Don got to ill before he had a chance to work on that. I
                do not think he gave the source code to anyone else. Frank G7IZW had
                hosted the WinPix 32 files on his web site as donation ware, but now
                he has taken WinPix 32 down. He said if someone else wants to host
                WinPix 32 on a server, he can make it freeware.

                Jerry - K0HZI

                > The bands are noisy yes, so you have to pick your time. DSSTV is NOT
                really a listeners mode, it is designed for one to one contacts....

                Well that lets me out of operating DSSTV. I am limited to an indoor
                antenna, max power out before the RFI gets back into the computer is
                25 Watts. I don't think any one can hear me at that power level on
                voice. I'll go back down and operate PSK31, and save myself some
                aggravation too! Have worked almost all states on PSK31, except for
                Hawaii, and have worked most of the Canadian provinces except for
                Newfoundland, Yukon and NW Territories with 20 to 25 Watts and the
                indoor antenna. I hardly ever hear DX here, but seem to work all over
                North American Continent on PSK31. Even Brazil, think that was
                Grey line propagation though.

                Jerry