Re: [digsstv] New and need help

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
      Use a line input. The signal from the radio is WAY too strong for a
      microphone input. At least attenuate the audio from the radio about
      20dB to 40 dB depending on the level from the TS2000 if you must use
      a microphone jack.

      {^_^}
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
        I am a rookie at this too (use Hampal rather than Easypal).  I discovered that I WAS receiving pictures even though I thought I was not.  The pictures we stored in a received pictures folder.  Downloading Irfanview solved this, after setting that program up, the received pictures "pop-up" automatically after successfull receipt.

        One thing to be aware of with digital slow scan is the fact that the software receives the pictures in "segments".  Usually the picture does not arrive unless it receives 100% of the segments.  You may be locked on to what you perceive as a perfectly strong signal and wonder why you never received the picture.  However, a brief bit of QRM of QRN can cause the loss of a "segment".  The software usually has  "BSR" features (bad segment report, or BBR "bad block report)).  The usual practice is for the receiving station with a few missing segments to send the BSR.  This will cause your rig transmit (if you have that hooked up yet).  The originating station will then send a "fix" which means they will re-transmit the MISSING  segments.  IF all goes well, you will then get the "fills", the missing data and see the picture. It sometimes takes 2-3 tries before you get all the data, if conditions are not too good.  Usually, the software displays how many segments are missing.

        Some digital software applications allow the user to choose "progressive receive" (or some similar term).  This does away with the "all or nothing" concept often associated with digital SSTV.  Under these circumstances the data successfully received is gradually displayed on your screen .  You may only see partial pictures if conditions are poor.

        Try hanging out on 14.233 this weekend, especially in the afternoon.  There is usually quite a lot of activity.  Practice tuning the signals using the "waterfall" option .  The waterfall will display vertical lines that you "line up" with the markers in your softwre.  In Hampal there three green "markers" that are used to tune the signal.  It is similar in Easypal but I can't remember exactly.

        Good luck,

        Andy K3UK

        --
        Andy K3UK