New and need help

  • lshinsdale
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2006
      I have downloaded two programs for Digital SSTV and can not get
      pictures from either one. One is Easy Pal and the other is DIG TRX. I
      also downloaded MMSSTV for regular SSTV and it works fine. I am
      running a new computer with XP. The rig is a Kenwood TS-2000. I do not
      want to transmit at this time, just receive. I currently have a line
      from an audio out jack on the rig to a mic jack on the computer. Any
      ideas why the digital pics are not coming through? Are there
      adjustments neede to get these programs to work? Thanks in advance for
      any help.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2006
        If you are just receiving, you have to sit on the frequency and wait and wait and wait and wait and ........wait some more.

        Try to find a strong signal digital QSO and look at the waterfall display and make sure that your tuning is spot on. You do need a very stable Rx for this to work well, so do keep an eye on the tuning.

        Providing the signal is good enough you should start to get for data downloaded, however digital modes are all or nothing, so unless you get the file perfectly you will not see a thing.

        Most of the programs do make use of infraview, which does have a progressive jpg decoder, but even that needs quite a bit of data in order to display anything.

        Andy

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
          Hi Larry,

          Welcome to the group. First thing you should do is put DIGTRX into the
          DRM mode (select HamDRM).

          The SSTV audio must be received just like any voice audio but be patched
          to the input of the soundcard on your computer. This may be done in
          many ways but ideally, you want to extract the "line level" audio from
          the transceiver. Run this signal using a shielded audio patch cable to
          the "line-in" input on the soundcard. Be sure to use stereo minature
          phone plugs for the connections to the soundcard. Wire the cable so
          that the audio "hot" is connected to the "tip" of the plug.

          Don't use any filters on your receiver or any DSP. Adjust levels for
          max SNR. Don't expect much if you can't get at least an S-9 signal that
          is noise free.

          Good luck!

          73 Dave KB4YZ

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
            Use a line input. The signal from the radio is WAY too strong for a
            microphone input. At least attenuate the audio from the radio about
            20dB to 40 dB depending on the level from the TS2000 if you must use
            a microphone jack.

            {^_^}
            >I have downloaded two programs for Digital SSTV and can not get
            > pictures from either one. One is Easy Pal and the other is DIG TRX. I
            > also downloaded MMSSTV for regular SSTV and it works fine. I am
            > running a new computer with XP. The rig is a Kenwood TS-2000. I do not
            > want to transmit at this time, just receive. I currently have a line
            > from an audio out jack on the rig to a mic jack on the computer. Any
            > ideas why the digital pics are not coming through? Are there
            > adjustments neede to get these programs to work? Thanks in advance for
            > any help.
          • Andrew O'Brien
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2006
              I am a rookie at this too (use Hampal rather than Easypal).  I discovered that I WAS receiving pictures even though I thought I was not.  The pictures we stored in a received pictures folder.  Downloading Irfanview solved this, after setting that program up, the received pictures "pop-up" automatically after successfull receipt.

              One thing to be aware of with digital slow scan is the fact that the software receives the pictures in "segments".  Usually the picture does not arrive unless it receives 100% of the segments.  You may be locked on to what you perceive as a perfectly strong signal and wonder why you never received the picture.  However, a brief bit of QRM of QRN can cause the loss of a "segment".  The software usually has  "BSR" features (bad segment report, or BBR "bad block report)).  The usual practice is for the receiving station with a few missing segments to send the BSR.  This will cause your rig transmit (if you have that hooked up yet).  The originating station will then send a "fix" which means they will re-transmit the MISSING  segments.  IF all goes well, you will then get the "fills", the missing data and see the picture. It sometimes takes 2-3 tries before you get all the data, if conditions are not too good.  Usually, the software displays how many segments are missing.

              Some digital software applications allow the user to choose "progressive receive" (or some similar term).  This does away with the "all or nothing" concept often associated with digital SSTV.  Under these circumstances the data successfully received is gradually displayed on your screen .  You may only see partial pictures if conditions are poor.

              Try hanging out on 14.233 this weekend, especially in the afternoon.  There is usually quite a lot of activity.  Practice tuning the signals using the "waterfall" option .  The waterfall will display vertical lines that you "line up" with the markers in your softwre.  In Hampal there three green "markers" that are used to tune the signal.  It is similar in Easypal but I can't remember exactly.

              Good luck,

              Andy K3UK

              --
              Andy K3UK