ALC ?

  • wd4kpd
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      for hampal/easypal/rdft...

      should the rig show ALC or not ??? have always thought that alc on a
      tone package was bad and cause intermod between the various tones.

      on the otherhand, believe that mfsk/olivia etc can use alc, as they
      only send one tone at a time.

      david/wd4kpd
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi David,

        In my way of thinking, any ALC would produce some clipping. The more
        clipping the more the signal wave shape will distort from the original.
        With DRM signals you need a good S/N ratio as well as an undistorted
        signal. It would be best to run the ALC to as low a level as possible
        while still putting out a decent signal. I also agree with the idea
        that intermodulation distortion is not a factor when it comes to signals
        that are a single tone at a time. I would say that analog SSTV is such
        a signal.

        73 Dave KB4YZ