Re: [digsstv] Transmit audio with W98

  • w6ids
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2006
      Nope........not normally for transmitting. None of the DRM programs,
      DIGTRX,
      HAMPAL or WinDRM will transmit with W98. They're designed for XP.

      I found that out the hard way my first time with DIGTRX using W98. I
      upgraded
      to XP Home Edition.

      Howard W6IDS
      Richmond, IN

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
        DIGTRX does work with W98, I run it without too many problems,
        however there are a couple of issues that can cause problems.

        Firstly, the DRM modes work fine, I've never tried the other modes
        live, but from memory they do transmit. I'll happly admit that I
        could be wrong on that point :-)

        When running, if you try to switch out of DRM mode, it will lock.
        Shut the program down and then restart, and it will come up in the
        mode that you switched to. Again from memory I think that switching
        to DRM is OK, and does not lock things up, it's just going back the
        other way that is a problem.

        One other annoying point, is that the waterfall text message does
        not work at all. You can try sending, but all that happens is the
        start tones (for want of a better term) do their stuff, but that's
        it, no text or anything. I've not found any workaround for that.

        I normally use this on VHF FM, where it has proved to be very useful
        when discussing a few problem a friend was having, and we have been
        exchanging circuit scans between ourselves. We sometimes get the odd
        error, so I've even had the chance to try out the request bad blocks
        system, and that works fine.

        One thing not related to the program, is the soundcard. On some
        sound cards, I think the SB 5, there is a REALLY stupid problem, in
        that it defaults to setting the output to have a reverb/surround
        effect by default, and the daft program will not save that setting
        if you change it. I use a very useful utility called quickmix which
        allows you to set and save any number of sound card setups. I just
        drop a default version of the settings I want is startup, and every
        time I reboot things are set the way I want.

        I suppose that I'll have to load up XP sometime, but that will; have
        to wait until I decide to rebuild a machine.

        Andy G0POY

        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "w6ids" <w6ids@...> wrote:

        > Nope........not normally for transmitting. None of the DRM
        programs,
        > DIGTRX,
        > HAMPAL or WinDRM will transmit with W98. They're designed for XP.
        >
        > I found that out the hard way my first time with DIGTRX using
        W98. I
        > upgraded
        > to XP Home Edition.
        >
        > Howard W6IDS
        > Richmond, IN

      • w6ids
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
          UH, whatcha mean "but from memory they do transmit."

          MY W98 received peachy HAMPAL and DIGTRX. Worked just spiffy. Could
          NEVER get it to transmit a picture reliably, although it did. NONE of the
          waterfall
          or button message thingies worked. I've been messaged by other W98 stations
          who
          either experienced the same thing OR simply could not transmit a picture at
          all.

          I don't recall the locking up problem here but then I'm turning 62 in June
          so who
          knows what about "memory."

          What kind of activity are you having with DIGI on VHF? Noticeable activity?

          I'm assuming there's repeater activity, maybe even simplex for you?

          Just commenting.........

          Howard W6IDS
          Richmond, IN
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
            From memory - means I'm at work so I can't check directly, and can't remember ever trying the non DRM modes on air, just a couple of tests when I first installed the software :-))
            (Just about all the activity I've found is DRM)

            When using DIGITRX, as I said the waterfall messages don't work and I've never found a workaround for that,
            I've not had any problems transmitting an image, but you do need to keep both the drive and the audio level down, and make sure you don't use any form of audio processing. a good stable rig is another requirement.

            There used to be a reasonable amount of SSTV activity on VHF, but it's not very common now. A couple of stations have tried DRM on VHF but no real activity as such. Just using it as a tool within another QSO. There is a dedicated SSTV repeater in the area, but it's just outside my VHF range, I've never tried using the normal voice repeaters for Digi, I don't think I would be very popular if I tried :-)

            I've seen the lockup on two PC's both running the same software setup, it could easily be related to particular software builds etc,

            Andy

            On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:40:16 -0500
            "w6ids" <w6ids@...> wrote:

            > UH, whatcha mean "but from memory they do transmit."
            >
            > MY W98 received peachy HAMPAL and DIGTRX. Worked just spiffy. Could
            > NEVER get it to transmit a picture reliably, although it did. NONE of the
            > waterfall
            > or button message thingies worked. I've been messaged by other W98 stations
            > who
            > either experienced the same thing OR simply could not transmit a picture at
            > all.
            >
            > I don't recall the locking up problem here but then I'm turning 62 in June
            > so who
            > knows what about "memory."
            >
            > What kind of activity are you having with DIGI on VHF? Noticeable activity?
            >
            > I'm assuming there's repeater activity, maybe even simplex for you?
            >
            > Just commenting.........
            >
            > Howard W6IDS
            > Richmond, IN

          • bobechan1
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2006
              --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Andy Eskelson <andydigsstv@...> wrote:

              > From memory - means I'm at work so I can't check directly, and can't
              remember ever trying the non DRM modes on air, just a couple of tests
              when I first installed the software :-))
              > (Just about all the activity I've found is DRM)
              >
              > When using DIGITRX, as I said the waterfall messages don't work and
              I've never found a workaround for that,
              > I've not had any problems transmitting an image, but you do need to
              keep both the drive and the audio level down, and make sure you don't
              use any form of audio processing. a good stable rig is another
              requirement.

              > There used to be a reasonable amount of SSTV activity on VHF, but
              it's not very common now. A couple of stations have tried DRM on VHF
              but no real activity as such. Just using it as a tool within another
              QSO. There is a dedicated SSTV repeater in the area, but it's just
              outside my VHF range, I've never tried using the normal voice
              repeaters for Digi, I don't think I would be very popular if I tried :-)

              > I've seen the lockup on two PC's both running the same software
              setup, it could easily be related to particular software builds etc,

              > Andy
              >

              > On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 16:40:16 -0500
              > "w6ids" <w6ids@...> wrote:
              >
              > > UH, whatcha mean "but from memory they do transmit."
              > >
              > > MY W98 received peachy HAMPAL and DIGTRX. Worked just spiffy. Could
              > > NEVER get it to transmit a picture reliably, although it did.
              NONE of the
              > > waterfall
              > > or button message thingies worked. I've been messaged by other
              W98 stations
              > > who
              > > either experienced the same thing OR simply could not transmit a
              picture at
              > > all.
              > >
              > > I don't recall the locking up problem here but then I'm turning 62
              in June
              > > so who
              > > knows what about "memory."
              > >
              > > What kind of activity are you having with DIGI on VHF? Noticeable
              activity?

              > > I'm assuming there's repeater activity, maybe even simplex for you?
              > >
              > > Just commenting.........
              > >
              > > Howard W6IDS
              > > Richmond, IN

              OK, Thanks guys. That's about what I had decided here.

              73,
              N4AU-Bobby