Re: DRM VS RDFT

  • kd4e2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
      --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "jim_ag3y" <jim_ag3y@y...> wrote:
      > Hi guys, my computer setup in the ham shack is a Win98 SE machine
      > running about 460 Mhz. I realize that to run DRM you need a 1 Ghz
      > machine with Win XP or 2000.
      >
      > However, I can send and receive RDFT transmissions using DigTRX. Here
      > is my question.
      >
      > Does anyone use RDFT on 14.233 anymore? It seems to do a good job,
      > and doesn't require as major a computer power as DRM . If I were to
      > come on the frequency with RDFT, would anyone come back to me, or has
      > everyone switched over to DRM?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your input ! 73, Jim

      Jim,

      Did you ever hear from anyone or was the silence on the list the
      only answer?

      Have you tried some of the several other digital modes lists?
      Perhaps the RDFT users are there instead?

      I am a Linux-only user so unless a mode has an app that runs under
      Linux I am not interested in it.

      73, doc kd4e
    • jim_ag3y
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2006
        Hi Doc, and thanks for the answer! Well, you have been the first
        one to answer me, so I guess you know the answer to your question.

        I have found a group of guys that are running the "DRM" software on
        the Google groups, and although they seem to be fairly open on the
        group, the response on the air has still been pretty "cliquish" !

        I was able to get this computer to barely work with WinDRM software
        by shutting down all the waterfall display functions and just
        watching the transfer functions or something else that doesn't gobble
        up all the CPU cycles. But Win98 doesn't like to allocate more than
        one program to the soundcard, so I cannot play any .wav files that
        print my callsign in the waterfall, and other goodies such as that,
        which are routine for a WinXP machine.

        I do not know what software might be out there for Linux, but I
        suspect that you, like I , am in a desert when it comes to digital
        picture transfers.

        I also am very antenna limited here, Doc, and it seems that if you
        cannot lay a 20 over 9 signal in their laps, they do not want to mess
        around with you.

        My SSTV experiments have been a bit disconcerting and frustrating at
        best, and I am ready to lay back until I am able to get more
        computing power, and/or perhaps someone who is willing to experiment
        with me a bit more, in spite , or because of the limitations I face.

        I thought that ham radio was supposed to be for the purpose of
        experimenting and developing ways to communicate under all kinds of
        conditions, and not just with the greatest amount of power, RF and
        CPU that you could muster.

        Well, thanks for your interest, and I will be looking forward to
        hearing what you might think about this whole situation.

        73, and C U L Doc. Thanks again for your interest! Jim AG3Y