DRM VS RDFT

  • jim_ag3y
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2005
      Hi guys, my computer setup in the ham shack is a Win98 SE machine
      running about 460 Mhz. I realize that to run DRM you need a 1 Ghz
      machine with Win XP or 2000.

      However, I can send and receive RDFT transmissions using DigTRX. Here
      is my question.

      Does anyone use RDFT on 14.233 anymore? It seems to do a good job,
      and doesn't require as major a computer power as DRM . If I were to
      come on the frequency with RDFT, would anyone come back to me, or has
      everyone switched over to DRM?

      Thanks in advance for your input ! 73, Jim
    • kd4e2001
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2006
        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "jim_ag3y" <jim_ag3y@y...> wrote:
        > Hi guys, my computer setup in the ham shack is a Win98 SE machine
        > running about 460 Mhz. I realize that to run DRM you need a 1 Ghz
        > machine with Win XP or 2000.
        >
        > However, I can send and receive RDFT transmissions using DigTRX. Here
        > is my question.
        >
        > Does anyone use RDFT on 14.233 anymore? It seems to do a good job,
        > and doesn't require as major a computer power as DRM . If I were to
        > come on the frequency with RDFT, would anyone come back to me, or has
        > everyone switched over to DRM?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your input ! 73, Jim

        Jim,

        Did you ever hear from anyone or was the silence on the list the
        only answer?

        Have you tried some of the several other digital modes lists?
        Perhaps the RDFT users are there instead?

        I am a Linux-only user so unless a mode has an app that runs under
        Linux I am not interested in it.

        73, doc kd4e
      • jim_ag3y
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2006
          Hi Doc, and thanks for the answer! Well, you have been the first
          one to answer me, so I guess you know the answer to your question.

          I have found a group of guys that are running the "DRM" software on
          the Google groups, and although they seem to be fairly open on the
          group, the response on the air has still been pretty "cliquish" !

          I was able to get this computer to barely work with WinDRM software
          by shutting down all the waterfall display functions and just
          watching the transfer functions or something else that doesn't gobble
          up all the CPU cycles. But Win98 doesn't like to allocate more than
          one program to the soundcard, so I cannot play any .wav files that
          print my callsign in the waterfall, and other goodies such as that,
          which are routine for a WinXP machine.

          I do not know what software might be out there for Linux, but I
          suspect that you, like I , am in a desert when it comes to digital
          picture transfers.

          I also am very antenna limited here, Doc, and it seems that if you
          cannot lay a 20 over 9 signal in their laps, they do not want to mess
          around with you.

          My SSTV experiments have been a bit disconcerting and frustrating at
          best, and I am ready to lay back until I am able to get more
          computing power, and/or perhaps someone who is willing to experiment
          with me a bit more, in spite , or because of the limitations I face.

          I thought that ham radio was supposed to be for the purpose of
          experimenting and developing ways to communicate under all kinds of
          conditions, and not just with the greatest amount of power, RF and
          CPU that you could muster.

          Well, thanks for your interest, and I will be looking forward to
          hearing what you might think about this whole situation.

          73, and C U L Doc. Thanks again for your interest! Jim AG3Y