Fwd: Do you think a sound card interface can make a difference?

  • Bob Poortinga
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 7, 2005
      Got this off of another list. Interesting reading. 10db improvement
      over a built-in sound card! One of these things may make a BIG difference
      receiving on HF. Is anyone using a RigExpert with the built-in sound card?
      Comments? (Of course, they ain't cheap!)

      --
      Bob Poortinga K9SQL
      Bloomington, Indiana US

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2005
        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Bob Poortinga <bobp+yahoo@w...> wrote:

        > Got this off of another list. Interesting reading. 10db improvement
        > over a built-in sound card! One of these things may make a BIG
        difference
        > receiving on HF. Is anyone using a RigExpert with the built-in
        sound card?
        > Comments? (Of course, they ain't cheap!)
        >
        > --
        > Bob Poortinga K9SQL
        > Bloomington, Indiana US

        I have been considering buying a RigExpert interface and have been
        researching it. About a year ago I purchased a USB external Soundcard
        the Soundblaster MP3. I did not find ANY difference with this card vs
        my internal soundcard.

        I have read the QST review on the RigExpert. It states it uses the AC
        97 soundcard chipset. This chipset is used in many recent vintage
        computers including my HP desktop and my HP laptop.

        So I have to wonder why the RigExpert would have a better S/N when my
        computer is using the same chipset especially since I didnt see any
        difference when using the USB MP3 which supposedly was a better
        quality soundcard than my internal.

        I guess you could say I am not yet convinced that the RigExpert will
        copy sigs better than my present setup.

        The RigExpert does have some advantages tho. USB connectivity, Teoan -
        the ability to run MIXW over your home network, rigcontrol built-in.

        I am un-decided whether to buy or not - any comments from owners of
        RigExpert??

        Stan K9IUQ