Re: [digsstv] DIGITAL SSTV DRM

  • Richard Hudgins
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 28, 2004
      Bob
      I tried the program on win2000pro and could not
      get the soundcard to come online. It showes up as
      selected but will not show up on the display. There
      were several other errors on startup as well [aside
      from the inital no call no transmitter] What am I
      missing here? This looks like a great program.

      Rich Hudgins N5ALE

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 28, 2004
        This looks like a really great program but I am having
        problems getting it to run. I am using win2000pro
        with a system that works well with other sound card
        programs. Do you think that I may be missing some ocx
        or dll file? When the error message pops up that says
        RX Exception the incomig sound will not display on the
        spectrum,
        when I get the transmit will not work error the sound
        spectrum is displayed. Any thoughts ..

        Rich Hudgins N5ALE

        There is a digital SSTV mode called DRM (Digital Radio
        Mondial)
        to send pictures and files as well as voice on HF.
        Software is
        available at

        http://n1su.us/windrm/windrm-24-dec-04.zip

        and it is free for amateur radio usage.
        Suggested frequencies are:
        7.169
        7.173
        7.176
        7.290
        14.236
        18.162
        21.370
        On 20 meter there is more noticable activity.
        73 de Bob, VE2HAR

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Terms of Service.

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Rick Muething
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
          I also had similar experiences on Win 2000 Pro. There were no problems on
          my Win XP Pro machine. Since I have a HF channel simulator between these two
          machines it would be very convenient to run some controlled tests over
          specific HF channels (e.g. Noise, Multipath, Flat Fading) at various S/N
          ratios. I would be happy run these tests and publish the results if anyone
          can help with suggestions on the Win 2000 problem.

          73,

          Rick Muething KN6KB

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
            > I would be happy run these tests and publish the results if anyone
            > can help with suggestions on the Win 2000 problem.

            the soft runs fine with win2k if one of the
            following points is true:

            - you have 2 soundcards and the sound config is right !
            - you run only the transmitter (-t option)
            - you run only the receiver (-r option)

            winXP desent have the problem since it allows soundcard
            sharing.
          • Jose
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
              Hi Cesco!! is possible to implement the new engine MMVarix to add other mode
              to the ISSTV programm http://mmhamsoft.ham-radio.ch

              >> I would be happy run these tests and publish the results if anyone
              >> can help with suggestions on the Win 2000 problem.
              >
              > the soft runs fine with win2k if one of the
              > following points is true:
              >
              > - you have 2 soundcards and the sound config is right !
              > - you run only the transmitter (-t option)
              > - you run only the receiver (-r option)
              >
              > winXP desent have the problem since it allows soundcard
              > sharing.
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rick Muething
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                Thanks for the pointers..I was able to get at least one way operation going
                which is enough to start the tests.

                Initial results...more to come
                All using default WinDRM setting and Oregon Hardware/Software Factory DSP HF
                simulator on the audio channels.

                Near 100% first instances success for 800 byte text file with these Channel
                models:
                White Gaussian Noise, Multi path Good, and Multi Path poor at +5dB S/N (3KHz
                noise bandwidth)

                0 success for above at 0dB S/N (3 KHz noise bandwidth)

                My simulator only has steps of 5 dB.

                I will try later to expand the stats and build some tables.

                Rick Muething KN6KB

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                  Intresting measurements!

                  The main data stream default is qam16.
                  The FAC stream is always qam4 (dqpsk ?).

                  Would be intresting to know if the FAC
                  stream remains stable at low snr. FAC
                  transports the callsign, mode, etc.

                  using qam4 for the main-stream would cut
                  data rate in half and make voice sounding
                  very bad, but it could be useful for
                  pictures.
                • Jose
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                    New isstv server www.isstv.co.uk
                    > The FAC stream is always qam4 (dqpsk ?).
                    >
                    > Would be intresting to know if the FAC
                    > stream remains stable at low snr. FAC
                    > transports the callsign, mode, etc.
                    >
                    > using qam4 for the main-stream would cut
                    > data rate in half and make voice sounding
                    > very bad, but it could be useful for
                    > pictures.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Richard Hudgins
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 30, 2004
                      Hello All
                      With two sound cards every thing seems ok except
                      when ever I look at my call the program dies when I go
                      to close the message box and after that the program
                      gives me a rx error and will not recieve until I open
                      the settings.txt with notepad and then close it [no
                      modifications at all just a look] then the program
                      will start backup with the normal error [tx will not
                      work] and it will recieve audio. All on win2000pro.
                      In my short sightedness I deleted the message with the
                      freq. on it could some one resend that message please
                      or at least any freq that are in use on this mode I
                      would love to be able to try it out.
                      Rich Hudgins n5ale

                      The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                      http://my.yahoo.com
                    • Robert Sismanyan
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                        --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hudgins <n5ale@y...> wrote:
                        Hi Rich,

                        Here I am using WINXP and I don't have any problem.

                        73 Bob, VE2HAR

                        > This looks like a really great program but I am having
                        > problems getting it to run. I am using win2000pro
                        > with a system that works well with other sound card
                        > programs. Do you think that I may be missing some ocx
                        > or dll file? When the error message pops up that says
                        > RX Exception the incomig sound will not display on the
                        > spectrum,
                        > when I get the transmit will not work error the sound
                        > spectrum is displayed. Any thoughts ..
                        >
                        > Rich Hudgins N5ALE

                      • Robert Sismanyan
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                          --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@c...>
                          wrote:
                          Hi Rick,

                          I am using Win XP and don't have any problem.

                          73 Bob, VE2HAR

                        • Robert Sismanyan
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 1, 2005
                            --- In digsstv@yahoogroups.com, cesco12342000 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                            Hello,

                            Here I have only one sound card and running WIN XP, don't have any
                            problem.

                            Bob

                            > > I would be happy run these tests and publish the results if
                            anyone
                            > > can help with suggestions on the Win 2000 problem.
                            >
                            > the soft runs fine with win2k if one of the
                            > following points is true:
                            >
                            > - you have 2 soundcards and the sound config is right !
                            > - you run only the transmitter (-t option)
                            > - you run only the receiver (-r option)
                            >
                            > winXP desent have the problem since it allows soundcard
                            > sharing.
                          • Jose
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 5, 2005
                              good site http://www.qslnet.de/member/f6gia/