4311Re: [digsstv] new user, can't get program to start properly

    Apr 28, 2013
      Well, er, ahm, a lady never tells her age. I'm not sure I'm a lady; but, I
      will enter failsafe mode and simply note that I've been working with
      electronics for nearly 60 years now, as a ham for about 54 years, and
      professionally for about 50 years. Draw your own confusions about my age.
      If you are the author I was playing with CK722s before you were born.

      That said, the instructions are generic for any program that does not
      install and run in "program files" or if appropriate "program files (x86)".
      I can offer some help in this regard as I have some professional software
      that performs properly on Win 7 (and presumably Win 8). And, yes, at my
      age I am still working on software in a professional capacity. I'm old.
      I'm crotchety. And I do like to "do it right." I've harped about that
      online since the mid 80s. I see no reason to stop now. The problems are,
      if anything, much worse and much more numerous.

      I do suggest bitching because getting it right is important for system
      security. It can protect your bank records and other trivial incidentals
      like that when the malware bogeyman is running around. And XP is within
      one year of end of life - no more updates.

      Somebody else's comment suggests the fldigi author has done it right,
      one presumes, if the program runs as a regular user and properly stores
      any data files it may produce when running on Windows 7. Presuming you
      run EasyPal without resorting to UAC trickery, kudos to the author for
      getting it right. It's somewhat convoluted to figure out for Win 7.

      {^_^} Joanne/W6MKU

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic