Re: [digitaltelugu] Free InputEditor for RTS

  • Suresh Kolichala
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
      > I would love to contribute to IME editor. Please
      > let me know when you get CVS access figured out. I
      > have some experience in writing IME for Java
      > earlier.

      Are you talking about the IME for windows? I actually
      joined the Sarasvati project as a second member to
      extend the Sanskrit IME for Telugu. Visit the webpage
      for it:

      http://sourceforge.net/projects/sarasvati/

      The code is written using .NET in C++. Stefan Webb did
      all the hardwork of figuring out the interface with
      Windows SDK, making the task of getting a free IME for
      Telugu a bit easier.

      Nevertheless, I think it would be nice to clean some
      of his code to make it generic enough to extend this
      IME for multiple languages ( for example: the big
      switch statement in CTextService::_HandleCharacterKey
      can be replaced by a lookup array for each individual
      language).

      About digitaltelugu, I don't have any roadmap but we
      could make it a repository of little utilities we
      develop as the need arises, taking one little baby
      step at a time. In next two months, we might work on
      utilities like:

      * Converting gibberish to Telugu (I already have an IE
      extension that will convert the gmail gibberish into
      Telugu).

      * Mail processing utilities (as we know Ramarao
      Kanneganti already has this covered)

      * Converting unicode back into RTS (Again Kanneganti
      has Prasad's perl script, but we could also do this as
      a part of our browser extensions)

      * Converting html files containing text in Tikkana or
      other encodings to unicode for batch processing

      * Writing macros for MS Office for RTS2unicode
      conversion.

      I welcome any other interesting ideas and plans.

      Regards,
      Suresh.
      --
      PS: My apologies that my experiments with e-mailing
      the unicode text resulted in two messy messages to

      PPS: By the way, I just uploaded two modules
      containing some old code, into digitaltelugu project
      on sf.net (after figuring out that I needed new cvs
      and ssh on my solaris machine). Those two modules are:

      - Rts2Tikkana (old C code based on the lex file that
      evolved from the times of RIT)

      - Telugize (source code for a Netscape plug-in using
      the code generated by JFlex, again based on a lex file
      from RIT)

      Anybody with CVS access to sf.net should be able to
      see them in next 5 hours.

    • Ramarao Kanneganti
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
        Suresh Kolichala wrote:

        > * Converting gibberish to Telugu (I already have an IE
        > extension that will convert the gmail gibberish into
        > Telugu).
        >
        > * Mail processing utilities (as we know Ramarao
        > Kanneganti already has this covered)
        >
        > * Converting unicode back into RTS (Again Kanneganti
        > has Prasad's perl script, but we could also do this as
        > a part of our browser extensions)
        >
        > * Converting html files containing text in Tikkana or
        > other encodings to unicode for batch processing
        >
        > * Writing macros for MS Office for RTS2unicode
        > conversion.
        >
        > I welcome any other interesting ideas and plans.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Suresh.

        Here are other things we could add:

        1. Doing RTS to PDF directly in some fashion. I suppose some batch
        program can do this. It is helpful for others.

        2. How about doing the same for GIF as well?

        All these are temporary measures. As soon as the world has complete
        unicode capability (by, say 2007), we won't need them.

        Here are some of the things to consider to increase the popularity of
        Unicode:

        1. Some how-to's and some demo's (probably flash) on how to install
        Telugu on Xp and 2000. Remember that most folks are non-technical and if
        we can get them to use it, we can spread this digital telugu revolution
        faster. [For example, I personally installed all the prerequisites on
        velcheru, veluri, and jampala's machines. We should somehow get to do
        the same for paruchuri's machine.]

        2. Some magnet content. Say, take eenadu and make it appear good in
        Unicode. What does eenadu use now? We can setup a proxy with their
        permission. If there is compelling reason for people to convert to
        unicode, and if we provide the resources, they will convert.

        Suresh: I have a lot of old code which I could add. It might be of
        purely historical interest. Also, there is lot TeX related stuff which
        may be of use to somebody. Though, I myself prefer to use HTML these
        days, systems like conTeXt can produce beautiful output.

        --
        Rama
      • Nagarjuna Venna
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005

          > 2. Some magnet content. Say, take eenadu and make it appear good in
          > Unicode. What does eenadu use now? We can setup a proxy with their
          > permission. If there is compelling reason for people to convert to
          > unicode, and if we provide the resources, they will convert.

          Eenadu uses their own font - technology similar to Tikkana fonts. I
          was in touch with some guys there some time ago and my understanding
          is that they had atleast two concerns: The fist one being the
          availability of Unicode but the second one is probably bigger. They
          equate their font to their brand - they proably did quite a bit of
          work to get TTF fonts that look like their print fonts. They don't
          want to give up that branding that easily which in all likelihood they
          will have to. Maybe, someone convince them that even NYT doesn't have
          that cachet...

          Thanks,
          nagarjuna
        • Suresh Kolichala
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
            --- Ramarao Kanneganti <rama@...> wrote:
            > 1. Some how-to's and some demo's (probably flash) on
            > how to install Telugu on Xp and 2000. Remember that
            > most folks are non-technical and if we can get them
            > to use it, we can spread this digital telugu revolution
            > faster.
            > [For example, I personally installed all the prerequisites on
            > velcheru, veluri, and jampala's machines. We should
            > somehow get to do the same for paruchuri's machine.]

            I heard Paruchuri and Veluri are both planning to move on to Windows
            XP machines.

            > 2. Some magnet content. Say, take eenadu and make it
            > appear good in Unicode. What does eenadu use now?

            I believe telugu missed the bus to the faster lane on information
            highway, on two occasions:

            1. We didn't have a standard defined for font encoding (Tamil Nadu
            Govt arranged a conference to come up with a TSCII standard that
            extends the ASCII defining font positions within the 0-255 space. Now
            all the Tamil newspapers conform to the TSCII standard, although they
            have their own proprietary fonts).

            2. Windows 2000 only supported unicode for Devanagari and Tamil among
            the indian languages, although majority of Indians working for
            Microsoft were Telugus.

            Thanks to your inspiring work with RTS and RIT that we atleast have a
            standard on the input side.

            > Suresh: I have a lot of old code which I could add. It might be of
            > purely historical interest. Also, there is lot TeX related stuff
            > which may be of use to somebody. Though, I myself prefer to use
            > HTML these days, systems like conTeXt can produce beautiful output.

            kramarao is your account on sf.net, right? I added you to
            digitaltelugu project. Your seminal work is worth checking in,
            atleast for historical purposes.

            Regards,
            Suresh.
          • Suresh Kolichala
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
              --- In digitaltelugu@yahoogroups.com, Nagarjuna Venna
              <vnagarjuna@g...> wrote:
              > Eenadu uses their own font - technology similar to Tikkana fonts. I
              > was in touch with some guys there some time ago and my understanding
              > is that they had atleast two concerns: The fist one being the
              > availability of Unicode but the second one is probably bigger. They
              > equate their font to their brand - they proably did quite a bit of
              > work to get TTF fonts that look like their print fonts. They don't
              > want to give up that branding that easily which in all likelihood
              they
              > will have to. Maybe, someone convince them that even NYT doesn't
              have
              > that cachet...

              I think they are confusing "fonts" with font-encoding schemes. As I
              explained in my previous mail, all the newspapers can have their own
              proprietary fonts, but conform to a standard font encoding scheme. If
              we had a TSCII like standard scheme defined within ASCII space, we
              could have still been to search eenaaDu, ajyothi, etc., just like we
              can now now search English text regardless of the font face used
              (fonts like "Arial" or "Times New Roman" etc.) Potana2000, code2000,
              Gautami etc. are all different fonts conforming to OTF and unicode
              encoding scheme.

              Regards,
              Suresh.
            • Nagarjuna Venna
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 18, 2005
                Yes, if the standard existed before they got online they probably
                would have gone that way. They know now that if they use Unicode
                encoding or even a TeluguSCII they can't force people to use their
                fonts. Some one has to convince them that it is not that important...

                Thanks,
                nagarjuna