Cataloging Digital Copies in MARC

  • yakovs
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
      Hello,

      I am working currently on creating MARC records for a bunch of
      digitized books so libraries can import them. One interesting question
      that has come up is whether a separate record needs to be created for
      the digital copies or the digital copies and the original printed
      copies are cataloged in a single record.

      Does anyone know whether there is any sort of an accepted convention
      or standard for this?

      Thanks,
      Yakov
    • Palmer,Gayle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
        Hello, For most of the projects I work with a new record is created for
        the digital version with reference back to the source formats. Some
        projects then provide a link to the digital version as a URL in the
        analog record. So far I have not seen any consensus or consistency on
        this question.

        Gayle Palmer
        Digital & Preservation Program Manager
        OCLC Western Service Center
        palmerg@...
        800 854 5753
        http://www.oclc.org/western/preservation/default.htm

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2008
          There's a thread on read20-l that talks about the assignment
          of ISBN numbers to works. If I read it right - and I'm not a
          librarian - you might reasonably create a new record for a
          new work from a new publisher with a new ISBN, just as
          if Dover had reprinted a book and published it themselves
          in a new edition.

          Ed

          --
          Edward Vielmetti +1 734 330 2465
        • Farrington, Jim
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2008
            When we digitize a work we add a link to the object in our digital
            repository to the extant bibliographic record for the physical item,
            both in our local online catalog and in OCLC. If the digital object is
            an exact digital representation of the original, to create a new bib
            record would simply serve to clutter the database with redundant
            information. Bear in mind that we are digitizing primarily musical
            scores in the public domain, but we do the same thing with new
            dissertations.

            Jim Farrington
            Head of Public Services
            Sibley Music Library
            Eastman School of Music
            27 Gibbs St.
            Rochester, NY 14604
            585-274-1304 585-274-1380 (f)
          • Zimmer, Amy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
              At the State Publications section of the Colorado State Library we
              catalog our digital records separately from the original format, while
              using a 776 field and a 530 note to refer back to the original format.
              This way, other libraries can download the MARC record for the digital
              publication without having to own a copy of the original (e.g. print)
              format. For examples see our web catalog at
              http://www.cde.state.co.us/stateinfo/

              ____________________________
              Amy Zimmer
              State Publications Library
              Colorado Dept. of Education
              201 E. Colfax Ave., Room 314
              Denver, CO 80203
              (303) 866-6725
              (303) 866-6940 - fax
              zimmer_a@...

              For news and research tips visit our blog:
              http://cospl.blogspot.com <http://cospl.blogspot.com/>

            • Lars Aronsson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
                yakovs wrote:

                > I am working currently on creating MARC records for a bunch of
                > digitized books so libraries can import them. One interesting
                > question that has come up is whether a separate record needs to
                > be created for the digital copies or the digital copies and the
                > original printed copies are cataloged in a single record.
                >
                > Does anyone know whether there is any sort of an accepted
                > convention or standard for this?

                There are two ways: Either you view the digitization project as a
                "library" that holds a (digital) copy of the book, or you view the
                digitization project as a "publisher" of a new (digital) edition
                of the book. I think the former is more common, but the latter
                would in my opinion be more correct. Especially if you add any
                preface to the digital edition, then you are in fact a publisher.

                You might end up with:

                260 $b Project Gutenberg $c 2008
                500 $a Digitization of the 1872 ed. published by ...

                --
                Lars Aronsson (lars@...)
                Project Runeberg - free Nordic literature - http://runeberg.org/