Creating an entirely new text

  • jesterp23
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15 11:40 AM
      Hello,
      I am embarking on an electronic publication project for a small public
      library system. We will be collecting the content and editing it for
      the local history book, then I would like to create the electronic
      edition using TEI-conformant XML, making it print-ready for
      downloading, and published in conjunction with a small print run.
      Unlike many digitization projects where print material is being
      re-created electronically, this text does not yet exist, and so I am
      wondering if anyone can point me to similar projects or any tips for
      me to start framing my approach to creating the electronic edition
      from scratch.
      Many thanks,
      Jess
    • Nick Hodson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 16 5:00 AM
        There is an excellent writer of useful software, many of it for e-books. His website is called Spacejock. He also writes novels, and got the idea of writing software to assist with writing a book. I don't know if it will work for any kind of book, as it was designed for writing novels. Here is the url for it, and is it is free it won't cost you anything to download it and have a look.
        http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter4.html

        I have not tried it myself, as I do not usually write books, but as I have ideas for two of them, perhaps I ought to try.

        Kind regards to all people working in e-books
        Nick Hodson, London, England, United Kingdom

        Message 3 of 4 , May 16 8:46 AM
          Hi Jess,

          I wrote the reply below before I realized you were the person asking,
          and you know our UVic work pretty well, so I guess you're already aware
          of these projects. Others might not be, though.

          We've done several projects where "born digital" documents were the
          basis for print publications. Here are a couple:

          The Scandinavian-Canadian Studies Journal:

          <http://www.scancan.net/>

          The ACH/ALLC 2005 Conference Book/Program:

          <http://web.uvic.ca/hrd/achallc2005/abstracts.htm>

          In the second project, we produced the online program / schedule,
          abstracts in the form of PDF, HTML, XML and plain text, and the print
          volume from the same (TEI) XML document set. Subsequent Digital
          Humanities conferences have used our code from this project and
          doubtless much improved on it.

          Cheers,
          Martin

          --
          Martin Holmes
          (mholmes@...)
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16 11:08 AM
            Hi Martin,

            the ACH/ALLC program is the most relevant model I have found so far.

            I will be out in Victoria for the Digital Humanities Summer Institute
            <http://www.dhsi.org/> in two weeks, so maybe I can talk to you about
            it then.

            Since the History Book project is still in its preliminary stages, if
            there are still other examples out there I would appreciate any
            pointers.

            Thanks (and nice to see you here),
            Jess