Re: trying to connect digi_ned and aprsd

  • Chris Kantarjiev
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
      > >But your comment about aprsd and digi_ned sharing the serial port is
      > >*really* interesting. I might just have to go try that with my THD7
      > >... it would be grand if it worked!
      >

      > AFAIK, only works in KISS mode. Linux apps tend to lock the serial
      port and
      > generally don't play well with each other, but KISS ports are shareable.

      Oh. You mean KISS-mode AX.25 ports, not KISS-on-serial ports.

      That makes a lot more sense; I was trying to figure out why/how Linux
      was going to duplicate the data coming down the serial line, so it
      could be read both by digi_ned and aprsd ...

      Bummer. I thought this was a solution.

      It's true that both digi_ned and aprsd seem happy to open the serial
      port ... but I'm not sure it's doing aprsd any good!

      Back to the drawing board. I might need to find someone with a WRT
      toolchain to compile both of these for me.

      Could you, for the sake of posterity, describe your setup in detail?
      How are you configuring the ports, with kissattach?

      73,
      chris
    • Chris Kantarjiev
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
        OK, I have this working, after a fashion. The idea of connecting both
        digi_ned and aprsd to the same KISS port was the right direction. By using
        kissattach and net2kiss, I was able to do this, after some hair pulling
        about ptys - the WRT uses Unix98 pty naming, but net2kiss counts on
        legacy pty naming. Luckily, the kernel is compiled with support for
        legacy ptys.

        Google knows everything, if you look hard enough.

        I finally found

        http://www.lanana.org/docs/device-list/devices.txt

        which told me how the legacy pty devices are numbered and named.
        With that in hand, I can

        # makedevs /dev/ptyp c 2 0 0 8
        # makedevs /dev/ttyp c 3 0 0 8
        # cat < /dev/ptyp0 &
        # echo hi > /dev/ttyp0
        hi
        # cat: Read error: Input/output error

        That looks pretty good to me. Now for the acid test...

        # kissattach /dev/tts/1 1 192.168.44.3
        AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0
        # net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptyp0 &
        # net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptyp1 &

        # digi_ned -p /dev/ttyp0:9600:1 -v &

        sure enough, the radio transmits!

        # aprsd &

        (aprsd.conf has tncport set to /dev/ttyp1)

        sure enough, the radio transmits!

        And both packages seem to see the packets... aprsd is writing packets
        into the log, but I think that they're raw KISS packets, not something
        I can read :-/

        The ptys don't survive a reboot, btw.

        aprsd does *not* seem to be sending the RF packets to the net. I'm connected
        to port 10151, and all I see are the aprsd NetBeacons. (Anyone know
        where to find aprsd experts?)

        73 de chris K6DBG
      • Jim Shorney
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
          On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

          >aprsd does *not* seem to be sending the RF packets to the net. I'm connected
          >to port 10151, and all I see are the aprsd NetBeacons. (Anyone know
          >where to find aprsd experts?)

          aprsd should be dumping everrything it hears to the net. Are you using a
          valid passcode?

          --
          TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain 3750 - all vintage, all the time!

        • Chris Kantarjiev
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
            I probably spoke too soon. It appears that aprsd isn't prepared
            (at least in the manner I have it configured) to deal with a KISS
            TNC - just a KISS AX.25 port (if my version supported AX.25).

            Back to do some more digging around... or find the equivalent of net2kiss
            that generates "plain TNC" output!

            73,
            chris