trying to connect digi_ned and aprsd

  • Chris Kantarjiev
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
      I'm trying to get a small igate configuration running on a WRT54G.
      I have the "embedded" digi_ned 0.3.5, and an AX.25 kernel
      (White Russian 0.9 w/X-wrt). I'm slowly learning how to configure ax.25
      under linux.

      My struggle tonight is how to tell digi_ned which AX.25 port to use!
      The help file (digi_ned -h) says

      --

      digi_ned [-h] | -p <port> [-v] [<digi_ned.ini>]

      To use this digipeater you must specify the port using the '-p'option.
      This option takes a string that defindes the port in thefollowing
      form:

      -p <tty-device>:<baudrate>:<nr-of-ports>

      The KISS device needs to have at least one port,more ports follow the
      MKISS standaard. There can be only one tty-device with this version.

      --

      OK, fine. I have no idea what the MKISS standard is, and google
      doesn't help me discover it... but when I run 'listen -a', I see

      Help?

      Thanks...

      73 de chris K6DBG
    • Jim Shorney
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
        On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:03:26 -0700 (PDT), Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

        >OK, fine. I have no idea what the MKISS standard is, and google
        >doesn't help me discover it... but when I run 'listen -a', I see
        >no output, even though digi_ned -v shows me that it's sending
        >beacons.
        >
        >Help?

        I can't get into specifics, because it's been several years. But when I did
        this, I followed the instructions in Henk's documentation TO THE LETTER, and
        read the online ax.25 HOWTOs for additional input. That gave me the tools
        and info I needed to eventually get it to work.

        However....

        I eventually discovered it wasn't necessary. Digi_ned and aprsd will happily
        share the same KISS port connected directly. Packets fed to APRS-IS don't
        need to be filtered through digi_ned rules (in fact, it may be better that
        they AREN'T), and aprsd should do a good job at deciding what needs to be
        gated back to RF.

        I'm currently running Xastir as my Igate, sharing the same KISS port with
        digi_ned under a different SSID. It seems to be working pretty well, and
        doesn't appear to be generating excess digipeats. IIRC, I put the Igate
        call-SSID in the digi_ned BLOCK and VIABLOCK lists just to make
        sure.

        http://www.db0anf.de/hamweb/aprsdb/showdata/NU0C-1/shdigiusers?sortdigiusers=l
        http://www.db0anf.de/hamweb/aprsdb/showdata/NU0C-15/shdigiusers?sortdigiusers=
        ld

        Hope this helps.

        -Jim

        --
        Jim Shorney -->.<--Put complaints in this box
        jshorney (at) inebraska.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
          Well ... it appears that the comment about "following the MKISS
          standard" means that the embedded digi_ned code will deal with a
          multiport TNC on the serial line. It doesn't mean that it does ax.25
          ports.

          Sigh.

          But your comment about aprsd and digi_ned sharing the serial port is
          *really* interesting. I might just have to go try that with my THD7
          ... it would be grand if it worked!

          Thanks,
          chris
        • Jim Shorney
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
            On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 04:05:58 -0000, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

            >Well ... it appears that the comment about "following the MKISS
            >standard" means that the embedded digi_ned code will deal with a
            >multiport TNC on the serial line. It doesn't mean that it does ax.25
            >ports.

            The fact that you were using the embedded code completely escaped me. I
            haven't experimented with that.

            >But your comment about aprsd and digi_ned sharing the serial port is
            >*really* interesting. I might just have to go try that with my THD7
            >... it would be grand if it worked!

            AFAIK, only works in KISS mode. Linux apps tend to lock the serial port and
            generally don't play well with each other, but KISS ports are shareable.

            But I'm no expert, believe me....

            73

            -Jim

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 17, 2007
              > >But your comment about aprsd and digi_ned sharing the serial port is
              > >*really* interesting. I might just have to go try that with my THD7
              > >... it would be grand if it worked!
              >

              > AFAIK, only works in KISS mode. Linux apps tend to lock the serial
              port and
              > generally don't play well with each other, but KISS ports are shareable.

              Oh. You mean KISS-mode AX.25 ports, not KISS-on-serial ports.

              That makes a lot more sense; I was trying to figure out why/how Linux
              was going to duplicate the data coming down the serial line, so it
              could be read both by digi_ned and aprsd ...

              Bummer. I thought this was a solution.

              It's true that both digi_ned and aprsd seem happy to open the serial
              port ... but I'm not sure it's doing aprsd any good!

              Back to the drawing board. I might need to find someone with a WRT
              toolchain to compile both of these for me.

              Could you, for the sake of posterity, describe your setup in detail?
              How are you configuring the ports, with kissattach?

              73,
              chris
            • Chris Kantarjiev
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
                OK, I have this working, after a fashion. The idea of connecting both
                digi_ned and aprsd to the same KISS port was the right direction. By using
                kissattach and net2kiss, I was able to do this, after some hair pulling
                about ptys - the WRT uses Unix98 pty naming, but net2kiss counts on
                legacy pty naming. Luckily, the kernel is compiled with support for
                legacy ptys.

                Google knows everything, if you look hard enough.

                I finally found

                http://www.lanana.org/docs/device-list/devices.txt

                which told me how the legacy pty devices are numbered and named.
                With that in hand, I can

                # makedevs /dev/ptyp c 2 0 0 8
                # makedevs /dev/ttyp c 3 0 0 8
                # cat < /dev/ptyp0 &
                # echo hi > /dev/ttyp0
                hi
                # cat: Read error: Input/output error

                That looks pretty good to me. Now for the acid test...

                # kissattach /dev/tts/1 1 192.168.44.3
                AX.25 port 1 bound to device ax0
                # net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptyp0 &
                # net2kiss -i ax0 /dev/ptyp1 &

                # digi_ned -p /dev/ttyp0:9600:1 -v &

                sure enough, the radio transmits!

                # aprsd &

                (aprsd.conf has tncport set to /dev/ttyp1)

                sure enough, the radio transmits!

                And both packages seem to see the packets... aprsd is writing packets
                into the log, but I think that they're raw KISS packets, not something
                I can read :-/

                The ptys don't survive a reboot, btw.

                aprsd does *not* seem to be sending the RF packets to the net. I'm connected
                to port 10151, and all I see are the aprsd NetBeacons. (Anyone know
                where to find aprsd experts?)

                73 de chris K6DBG
              • Jim Shorney
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
                  On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:45:31 -0700 (PDT), Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

                  >aprsd does *not* seem to be sending the RF packets to the net. I'm connected
                  >to port 10151, and all I see are the aprsd NetBeacons. (Anyone know
                  >where to find aprsd experts?)

                  aprsd should be dumping everrything it hears to the net. Are you using a
                  valid passcode?

                  --
                  TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain 3750 - all vintage, all the time!

                • Chris Kantarjiev
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 18, 2007
                    I probably spoke too soon. It appears that aprsd isn't prepared
                    (at least in the manner I have it configured) to deal with a KISS
                    TNC - just a KISS AX.25 port (if my version supported AX.25).

                    Back to do some more digging around... or find the equivalent of net2kiss
                    that generates "plain TNC" output!

                    73,
                    chris