RE: [digined] KISSINIT & 1200bd.

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2007
      Hi...

      If the contents of the EPROM were documented in some way, no problem. But, it's just a binary blob of code, not open source. Pac-Com remember ;-)

      73

      Dave G0WBX.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 6 , May 25, 2007
        On Sat, 26 May 2007 00:17:28 +0100, Dave Baxter wrote:

        >If the contents of the EPROM were documented in some way, no problem. But, it's just a binary blob of code, not open source. Pac-Com remember ;-)

        That's too bad. I would look for a true TNC-2 clone, firmware is readily
        available and easily edited to change the defaults.

        73

        -Jim

        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2007
          Thats not so easy as it sounds. Available hardware is limited here in the UK (check the callsign!) so what we have is what is going to get used. I have KISS only roms for the 220, but they are very old code, very old indeed! And that has problems with the host serial port. The 220 has one of the best modem chips on the planet (AMD 7910 based) far exceeding the capabilities of the XR and other chips, used in earlier and later TNC's. And as we have several of them, as above, that is what will get used.

          Oh yes. The "TRUE" TNC2 firmware is also closed source, it's only some of the so called clones that have any sort of open-ness, and then you need specific compilers, that are also not readily available these days. We looked into that.... We looked at some of the DIGI only rom's too, but again, lack of documentaton spoils the fun, even if we had hardware to host it.

          If needed, it'll be a PIC based KISS only TNC, hooked onto the hardware that run's Digi_Ned. Not tried and tested the PIC code yet, as we have known working TNC's.

          Digi_Ned also has just about everything we want too, and more if needed. It run's on DOS only class hardware, even these ex industrial machine controler PC/104 based boxes, and very low power drain too, much less than any of the individual TNC's I have hear, much to my pleasure and suprise.

          73.

          Dave G0WBX (IO92MA)

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2007
            On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:55:09 +0100, Dave Baxter wrote:

            >Thats not so easy as it sounds. Available hardware is limited here in the UK (check the callsign!) so what we have is what is going to get used.

            Yes, I guess I wasn't aware that hardware was that scarce on your side of the
            pond.

            > And as we have several of them, as above, that is what will get used.

            An interesting dilemma. It looks like, aside from reverse engineering the
            220 code, a backup power source to keep the TNC powered at all times might be
            your best option.

            >Oh yes. The "TRUE" TNC2 firmware is also closed source

            TAPR code has the locations and values of system defaults published in the
            docs, and it works fine in the MFJ-1270/1274 and probably other true TAPR
            clones (later versions require 32K RAM). Aside from that, parameters are
            battery backed with a lithium coin cell in the TAPR-2 design, so editing the
            code wouldn't strictly be necessary except for the truly paranoid.

            >Digi_Ned also has just about everything we want too, and more if needed.

            Digi_Ned is awesome. IMO, every digipeater should be running it.

            73 es gul luck with your digis.

            -Jim

            --
            TR7/RV7, TR6/RV6, T4XC/R4C, L4B, NCL2000, SB104A, R390A, GT550A/RV550A, HyGain 3750 - all vintage, all the time!