Evolution of our digi, and a lot of questions

  • f4fwh
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
      Hi all,
      I'm new user of digined, our digi was previously on DOS, and i want to update it to a linux system, for maintenance via internet and other stuff.

      I have compiled digined on a ubuntu server 8.0.4 LTS, it works, but now I want to connect the hardware, for my test i have a PacComm TINY-2, and a AEA pakratt 232.

      And i haven't any idea of how to do to do this, so if you have any documentation on it thanks to send it.

      After that if you have any document on how to configure Igate on digined, i have seen many programs on internet but don't understand how it works (saxigate,JavAPRSsrv, etc...)

      Thanks a lot for your help

      73 F4FWH
    • Tom Hayward
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
        > I have compiled digined on a ubuntu server 8.0.4 LTS, it works, but now I
        > want to connect the hardware, for my test i have a PacComm TINY-2, and a AEA
        > pakratt 232.

        The TNCs will need to be put in KISS mode (the linux terminal emulator
        software "minicom" will be helpful for this). Then install linux AX.25
        networking. This how-to got me started:
        http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:AX.25. Once you have AX.25
        running, digi_ned can be configured to use the AX.25 port.

        Igate is independent of digi_ned. JavAPRSSrvr works well as an igate
        under Linux and works with AX.25 networking. Both digi_ned and
        javAPRSSrvr will connect to the same AX.25 port simultaneously to
        access the radio/TNC.

        I have set up AX.25, digi_ned, and javAPRSSrvr to do this on Ubuntu
        8.04 LTS Server before, and it works well.

        Good luck!

        Tom KD7LXL
      • Kenny Richards
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2009
          --- In digined@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hayward <tom@...> wrote:

          > The TNCs will need to be put in KISS mode (the linux terminal emulator
          > software "minicom" will be helpful for this). Then install linux AX.25
          > networking. This how-to got me started:
          > http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:AX.25. Once you have AX.25
          > running, digi_ned can be configured to use the AX.25 port.

          I think this is the link that Tom meant to provide:

          http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:AX.25

          (The other one is now empty)

          73,
          Kenny
        • Dave Baxter
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
            There is a script tool with DigiNed, certainly in the DOS version, that
            can be used to put a TNC into KISS mode. More reliable than relying on
            the TNC to remember it's state past a power OFF/ON reset cycle!

            I'm sure there is a multitude of ways in Linux to do the same.

            Regards.

            Dave G0WBX.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2009
              --- In digined@yahoogroups.com, Tom Hayward <tom@...> wrote:

              > > I have compiled digined on a ubuntu server 8.0.4 LTS, it works, but now I
              > > want to connect the hardware, for my test i have a PacComm TINY-2, and a AEA
              > > pakratt 232.
              >
              > The TNCs will need to be put in KISS mode (the linux terminal emulator
              > software "minicom" will be helpful for this). Then install linux AX.25
              > networking. This how-to got me started:
              > http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:AX.25. Once you have AX.25
              > running, digi_ned can be configured to use the AX.25 port.
              >
              > Igate is independent of digi_ned. JavAPRSSrvr works well as an igate
              > under Linux and works with AX.25 networking. Both digi_ned and
              > javAPRSSrvr will connect to the same AX.25 port simultaneously to
              > access the radio/TNC.
              >
              > I have set up AX.25, digi_ned, and javAPRSSrvr to do this on Ubuntu
              > 8.04 LTS Server before, and it works well.
              >
              > Good luck!
              >
              > Tom KD7LXL

              Ok, thanks for your help.

              I've put my tnc on kiss mode, attach the tnc with /usr/sbin/kissattach, but i don't know the IP adress :
              "The IP number is needed only for TCP/IP operation. It's normally assigned by your local or regional TCP/IP ham coordinator. It is often acceptable to use a temporary number like we do below for a short time until you get assigned a number, or just as a placeholder in the scripts if you're not going to do TCP/IP over AX.25 protocol"

              I can put any ip, or a class C IP like 192.168.0.xxx is good, or I have to put an IP like the how to on 44.x.x.x netmask 255.0.0.0?

              Thanks for your reply