RE: [digined] digi_ned & xastir

  • Dave Baxter
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
      Hmmm....

      That could result in an awful lot of beacons, many people may not
      appreciate that, but if you do it, keep the beacon local to you, like no
      digis in the path. Many of the LEO satellites will be seen and gone by
      the time a beacon is sent, with typical beacon intervals, so it may be
      best to leave the sat' info as query only mode. But by all means put
      something in the beacon indicating that you have such info available,
      but let the punters come to you, rather than flood the channel with
      stuff only some will want. (or even understand what it is, let alone
      able to use!)

      Best Regards..

      Dave B G0WBX.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
        > That could result in an awful lot of beacons, many people may not
        > appreciate that, but if you do it, keep the beacon local to you, like no
        > digis in the path.

        Announcements of workable satellites is a great thing and is built
        into Digi_ned. Many times it's let me know that ISS was making a pass
        and I was then able to either bounce an APRS packet through or listen
        to the astronauts talking. My favorite was when the whole sequence
        happened as I was in the drive through at a Wendys fast food cafe.

        The standard scheme is for one position of the satellite every ten
        minutes switching to a position every minute when the bird is in view.
        Yes it needs to be maintained and pathed sanely but it's one of
        those real APRS features that makes it useful and fun.

        This is the "Satellite Tracking" feature.

        http://digined.pe1mew.nl/?What_DIGI_NED_does:Satellite_tracking

        The tricky part is getting it to automaticall update Keps.

        Even trickier is changing satellites in the data file as there is
        little slack for errors in the raw formatting.

        73
        Bill - WA7NWP
      • Kim Aiken
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
          On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:17 AM, Bill V WA7NWP<wa7nwp@...> wrote:

          > Announcements of workable satellites is a great thing and is built
          > into Digi_ned. Many times it's let me know that ISS was making a pass
          > and I was then able to either bounce an APRS packet through or listen
          > to the astronauts talking. My favorite was when the whole sequence
          > happened as I was in the drive through at a Wendys fast food cafe.
          >
          > The standard scheme is for one position of the satellite every ten
          > minutes switching to a position every minute when the bird is in view.
          > Yes it needs to be maintained and pathed sanely but it's one of
          > those real APRS features that makes it useful and fun.
          >
          > This is the "Satellite Tracking" feature.
          >
          > http://digined.pe1mew.nl/?What_DIGI_NED_does:Satellite_tracking
          >
          > The tricky part is getting it to automaticall update Keps.
          >
          > Even trickier is changing satellites in the data file as there is
          > little slack for errors in the raw formatting.
          >
          > 73
          > Bill - WA7NWP

          Bill wrote me a script to update keps from the AMSAT site. Those keps
          are updated about once a month though
          my cron job requests updates daily, once a month works very well. I
          bet Bill wouldn't mind if I forwarded you that
          script :) If you want it let me know.

          It does generate a lot of packets so as was said be aware of the
          network you are sending
          into and the area you need covered. We are lucky to have an
          alternative network on UHF to insert these packets.
          Bill also added a great feature to his hog page where these packets
          are grabbed from the aprsIS system. Makes it very easy to get SAT info
          from the iPhone/iTouch (or even a computer) when not inside the area
          of coverage of the aprs network. See:
          http://srv02.compumont.com/96uhf/

          These are the SATs we track. All FM workable mobile, except AO-16
          which is there for info only ....
          from digi_ned.ini:
          ;read in and update keps from AMSAT site
          automessage: 1400 3
          ?utle
          ;
          automessage: 100 3
          ?trk ISS_
          automessage: 101 3
          ?trk AO27
          automessage: 102 3
          ?trk SO50
          automessage: 103 3
          ?trk AO51
          automessage: 104 3
          ?trk AO16
          automessage: 105 3
          ?trk GO32
          ;automessage: 106 3

          Have fun

          kim - ac7yy
        • Jim Shorney
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
            On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 09:13:58 -0700, Kim Aiken wrote:

            >Bill also added a great feature to his hog page

            Is anyone actively maintaining hog? I've seen various version numbers running
            on the internet, but never anywhere to download new versions. My 2.14 keeps
            bombing, and I haven't figured out why yet.

            73

            -Jim

            --
            Ham Radio NU0C
            Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

            "Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will learn for a lifetime."

          • Bill V WA7NWP
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
              > Is anyone actively maintaining hog? I've seen various version numbers
              > running
              > on the internet, but never anywhere to download new versions. My 2.14 keeps
              > bombing, and I haven't figured out why yet.

              Real soon now. I have a really trick web links thing I want to add
              and I need to make it really restart when the web feed goes away. Or
              maybe I'll just put what we have up and let folks give it a try.

              Bill
            • Jim Shorney
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
                On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:31:15 -0700, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:

                >> Is anyone actively maintaining hog?
                >
                >Real soon now. I have a really trick web links thing I want to add
                >and I need to make it really restart when the web feed goes away. Or
                >maybe I'll just put what we have up and let folks give it a try.

                Cool! I can't wait to see it! I suppose then my challenge may be getting it to
                run under a Debian 2.2 distro....

                73

                -Jim (it's always something)

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009