Re: Giles Reaves to beam down...

  • Giles Reaves
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007
      On Jan 1, 2007, at 6:17 AM, differentskies@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Re: Giles Reaves to beam down...
      >
      > Posted by: "Bill Fox" billyfox@... ultramusicman
      >
      > Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:55 pm (PST)
      >
      > Giles Reaves wrote:
      >
      > > Wunjo attracts the most attention of my musical endeavers. In honor
      > > of the 20th anaversary of Wunjo I've been re-recording (for legal
      > > reasons) the entire project.
      >
      > So what's the deal? I'm assuming that MCA owns the rights to the
      > master
      > tape? Do those rights extend to the MIDI files and the performance
      > they
      > create or are you being extra careful, thinking that the extra
      > degree of
      > separation of a new performance will provide enough protection from
      > nasty corporate lawyers?

      Well...I kept MIDI files around for a while, but...

      Wunjo started life in Total Music (anyone? no? nobody? oh well!!),
      then I moved (in order) to MIDI Paint, Master Tracks Pro, and Vision,
      Studio Vision (w/pro tools), and now Pro Tools (or as they say in
      Ireland, P. R. O'Tools!). Somewhere along the line I stopped
      transferring old files - I know, standard MIDI files - but then I
      wouldn't be having such a good time reminiscing, no?

      BTW, I breifly entertained an idea of performing a segment from Wunjo
      for Different Skies, but it would require most of you learning the
      parts - not much fun. The idea was to have a synth orchestra (or at
      least small ensemble) with parts being doubled or even tripled on
      stage to create a huge sound (or a huge mess). Maybe next year?

      Giles

    • Giles Reaves
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007
        On Jan 1, 2007, at 6:17 AM, differentskies@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Re: Giles Reaves to beam down...
        >
        > Posted by: "Moss Parker" moss_parker@... Moss_Parker
        >
        > Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:58 pm (PST)
        >
        > Giles:
        >
        > Forget the royalties. The one copy of Wunjo available on Amazon is
        > listed at about $80. I imagine that a few autographed co[pies
        > would draw quite a lot moreL)

        Great idea! Got any spare copies I can autograph? After Hearts of
        Space "dropped" me, they sold the old stock back to me at a
        reasonable rate. I got so excited when I thought about getting the
        MCA stuff as well, called them, and found out they had destroyed all
        the old copies to make room in the wear-house. No phone call, no
        nothing - well, they did say they were sorry. Doh!

        Why do I stear folks away from big record labels? I don't know, maybe
        I'm just jaded!

        Giles

      • Moss Parker
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2007

          > BTW, I breifly entertained an idea of performing a segment from
          > Wunjo
          > for Different Skies, but it would require most of you learning
          > the
          > parts - not much fun. The idea was to have a synth orchestra (or
          > at
          > least small ensemble) with parts being doubled or even tripled on
          >
          > stage to create a huge sound (or a huge mess). Maybe next year?
          >
          > Giles

          I think that is a great idea. It would be good if you could
          provide some kind of copy of the segment you want to do before hand
          and how you envision the stage performance before we get to
          Arcosanti. That way we wouldn't be starting cold and can develop
          ideas while we learn the parts. I know that this would probably be
          cheating in the Different Skies sense, but not really much more so
          than Evil Build.

          John 3

        • Bill Fox
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2007
            Giles Reaves wrote:

            > BTW, I breifly entertained an idea of performing a segment from Wunjo
            > for Different Skies, but it would require most of you learning the
            > parts - not much fun. The idea was to have a synth orchestra (or at
            > least small ensemble) with parts being doubled or even tripled on
            > stage to create a huge sound (or a huge mess). Maybe next year?

            I read music. Count me in!

            Cheers,

            Bill
          • Darrell Burgan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 5, 2007
              > BTW, I breifly entertained an idea of performing a segment from Wunjo
              > for Different Skies, but it would require most of you learning the
              > parts - not much fun. The idea was to have a synth orchestra (or at
              > least small ensemble) with parts being doubled or even tripled on
              > stage to create a huge sound (or a huge mess). Maybe next year?
              >
              > Giles

              I'd love to participate in this ... !
            • Darrell Burgan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 6, 2007
                Hello friends,

                It's Saturday so it's time again for another edition of "Blue Water
                Drift Dive", my live ambient net radio program on StillStream.com.

                Tonight we have a very special show in store for you, with a marathon
                live set by prodigal ambient and electronic artist Jan Nemecek. Jan
                promises to play "at least two hours" uninterrupted, and may even go
                longer than that, so don't miss this special event!

                Just the facts:

                - The show begins tonight Sat Jan 6 at 11p ET (Sun Jan 7 at 4a GMT)
                and lasts at least four hours

                - There will be no planned ambient longplay feature, to ensure Jan has
                plenty of time to play as long as he wants to go. If, however, we have
                the time and feel the urge, we'll pick something at showtime.

                - There will obviously be no ambient train wreck this evening, however
                there may be an ambient warmup doodle prior to showtime if time permits.

                - To listen: http://www.stillstream.com/listen.php

                - To chat: http://www.stillstream.com/chat.php

                As always, listening to StillStream radio is free, anonymous, and can
                be done from the comfort of your own home. So there's no reason not to
                join us! If you do tune in, be sure to stop by the chatroom and say
                hello. We promise to be nice.

                Hope to see you there!

                Darrell
              • Darrell Burgan
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 10, 2007
                  Please join me tonight for a special edition of Blue Water Drift Dive,
                  my live ambient net radio program on StillStream.com!

                  - Tonight I have the pleasure of bringing to you another live concert
                  from symphonic ambient artist Kevin Fletcher Tweedy! His last show
                  was a doozy, so don't miss this one.

                  - The show begins tonight, Sat Feb 10 at 11p ET (Sun Feb 11 at 4a GMT)
                  and lasts 4 hours

                  - There will be no live ambient train wreck tonight, but I will be
                  playing a couple of cuts from the brand new release of the Ambient
                  Train Wreck Series Volume 3 available on Blue Water Records
                  (http://bluewaterrecords.com)

                  - If time permits, there may be a pre-show ambient warmup doodle.

                  - In addition to the spectacular concert by Mr. Tweedy, we'll also be
                  playing some brand new music from Dino Pacifici, Gregg Plummer,
                  Michael O'Connell, and many other.