Equipment referendum

  • Rus Foster
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 7:18 PM
      Hey

      I'm trying to decide whether to bring my Simmons/Pearl digital pads
      again. While the possibilities and ideas for their use are many, I'm a
      bit reluctant to simply repeat myself again gear-wise. Hopefully there
      are some members present who have an opinion on the matter.
      Unfortunately I'm easily swayed in either direction, so please offer
      your argument sternly! Any assistance and/or suggestions will be noted
      and appreciated.

      Thanks

      Rus/Una
    • Mike Metlay ++ Atomic City
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 9:33 PM
        >Hey
        >
        >I'm trying to decide whether to bring my Simmons/Pearl digital pads
        >again. While the possibilities and ideas for their use are many, I'm a
        >bit reluctant to simply repeat myself again gear-wise. Hopefully there
        >are some members present who have an opinion on the matter.
        >Unfortunately I'm easily swayed in either direction, so please offer
        >your argument sternly! Any assistance and/or suggestions will be noted
        >and appreciated.
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Rus/Una

        Rus,

        I don't have a strong opinion about the Simmons kit; it was a huge
        chunk of stage real estate, but people enjoyed messing with it.
        (Giles, who's visiting, played it a lot but says you should leave it
        home this time.)

        On the other hand, I am going to argue strongly that you get rid of
        that Peavey mixer you brought. It's massively heavy, takes up a ton
        of room, and doesn't have particularly good sound quality to my ears.
        You can get a Behringer mixer with an equal channel count and better
        S/N that's literally a fifth the size for almost no money at all. If
        you don't have the cash to get a UB6122FXPro or something of that
        ilk, you could probably borrow the 2442 we bought Arcosanti last
        year, or share it with a couple of other folks...

        If it was up to me, I'd suggest that you leave the Simmons kit and
        the entire keyboard A-frame home and put a smaller mixer on a shelf
        of your Apex stand, focusing on Octapad, miked percussion and didj,
        and guitar rather than keys.

        Consider yourself swayed. :)

        mike

        --
        "The problem with this is that you are no longer dealing with true
        silence. You are dealing with 'replicated' silence. The best silence
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 2 6:39 AM
          Rus Foster wrote:

          > I'm trying to decide whether to bring my Simmons/Pearl digital pads
          > again. While the possibilities and ideas for their use are many, I'm a
          > bit reluctant to simply repeat myself again gear-wise. Hopefully there
          > are some members present who have an opinion on the matter.
          > Unfortunately I'm easily swayed in either direction, so please offer
          > your argument sternly! Any assistance and/or suggestions will be noted
          > and appreciated.

          Hi Rus,

          I don't remember how much you used those pads. If it was not much or
          not at all, then I'd strongly recommend that you leave them at home.
          Stage real estate is at a premium, as you know. Lighten your load, man,
          and bring only the gear that will get a lot of use because they play to
          your strengths, take minimal floor space, and give you something to play
          that is unique to you, compared to what the rest of us play. Get that
          circular breathing down and process your didg in a way that even Roach
          hasn't done. Loop it/sample it/pitch shift it/pan it/mangle it!

          As Mike suggested, loose the boat anchor mixer. Get a better condenser
          mic, too, while you're at it. Try something that has multiple pickup
          patterns. The cardioid pattern on the mic you used just picked up too
          much off-axis sound. Get something that can be switched to a
          hyper-cardioid pattern for the times when it's cardioid pattern is not
          selective enough.

          I know that being within driving distance means you can load up an
          entire studio of things you might want to use, just in case. Been
          there, done that. Now try for a leaner-meaner gigging setup. Your back
          will thank you either now or when you're 50. "It's not the age. It's
          the miles!"

          Cheers,

          Bill
        • JEMPolyUnRex@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 2 7:58 AM
            Can you get past the physical need for regular drum pads and settle for a
            Roland HandSonic or Korg DDS5? It's more current technology than the Simmons and
            they can sound just as powerful with a few sonic tweeks.

            JEM

          • Rus Foster
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 2 11:44 AM
              My intent was mostly to determine others' interest in the pads. I was
              curious to know if anyone else wanted any serious percussion and/or
              rhythmic interaction for their DS05 performances. Didn't want to truly
              disappoint if anyone had their hopes set on them. It seems like there
              are already many modular synth-ish and guitar-based entrants so far,
              but few (if any) in the tribal/percussion area. Personally, I can live
              without the pads this time because I have some exciting software
              alternatives up my sleeve, although I'll still have the Octapad unit.
              Hope this clears up any misconceptions.

              Rus/Una
            • Rus Foster
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 2 12:14 PM
                Mike

                Very pragmatic advice. I'm personally not attached to the pads this
                time, and I am definitely looking into replacing my mixer with
                something more practical. I got a new M-Audio Radium 49 keyboard to
                control some sonic toys like Reason, Yamaha CS-80, Moog Modular,
                Virsyn CUBE and maybe even Tassman 4. I've also procured a buddy's
                Roland GR-30 guitar synth, which I should be able to use for the DS05
                event. And in the interest of space conservation, I'll be leaving my
                A-frame keyboard stand behind as requested(although it would have
                been cool to mount all the pads on it like Bruford did back in the
                80's!). Regarding that DS mixer you mentioned: is it already spoken
                for? Would it be wise to loosely plan on using it at this point? I
                expect to be sending between 6-8 inputs, and I would prefer to be at
                the helm for on-the-fly tweaking and sound manipulation. If that is
                not feasable, then it would be smarter for me to go ahead and bring a
                smaller mixer as mentioned earlier. One last thing: What do I need to
                provide so that I can sync with the overall "clock" for everyone
                onstage?

                Regards

                Rus/Una

                --- In differentskies@yahoogroups.com, Mike Metlay ++ Atomic City
                <metlay@a...> wrote:

                > Rus,
                >
                > I don't have a strong opinion about the Simmons kit; it was a huge
                > chunk of stage real estate, but people enjoyed messing with it.
                > (Giles, who's visiting, played it a lot but says you should leave
                it
                > home this time.)
                >
                > On the other hand, I am going to argue strongly that you get rid of
                > that Peavey mixer you brought. It's massively heavy, takes up a ton
                > of room, and doesn't have particularly good sound quality to my
                ears.
                > You can get a Behringer mixer with an equal channel count and
                better
                > S/N that's literally a fifth the size for almost no money at all.
                If
                > you don't have the cash to get a UB6122FXPro or something of that
                > ilk, you could probably borrow the 2442 we bought Arcosanti last
                > year, or share it with a couple of other folks...
                >
                > If it was up to me, I'd suggest that you leave the Simmons kit and
                > the entire keyboard A-frame home and put a smaller mixer on a shelf
                > of your Apex stand, focusing on Octapad, miked percussion and didj,
                > and guitar rather than keys.
                >
                > Consider yourself swayed. :)
                >
                > mike
                >
                > --
                > "The problem with this is that you are no longer dealing with true
                > silence. You are dealing with 'replicated' silence. The best silence
                > is analogue." (d. morley)
                > Atomic City* Box 17083 Boulder CO 80308-0083 * metlay@a...
                > mindSpiral: space music with a smile! * http://www.mindspiral.com
              • Brian Good
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2 12:23 PM
                  Rus Foster wrote:

                  > My intent was mostly to determine others' interest in the pads. I was
                  > curious to know if anyone else wanted any serious percussion and/or
                  > rhythmic interaction for their DS05 performances. Didn't want to truly
                  > disappoint if anyone had their hopes set on them. It seems like there
                  > are already many modular synth-ish and guitar-based entrants so far,
                  > but few (if any) in the tribal/percussion area. Personally, I can live
                  > without the pads this time because I have some exciting software
                  > alternatives up my sleeve, although I'll still have the Octapad unit.
                  > Hope this clears up any misconceptions.
                  >
                  > Rus/Una

                  I'd enjoy doing some tribal stuff, as long as something melodic
                  would fit. I have some appropriate sounds on my VL1 if I can
                  find room to bring it (and if you don't mind the sound of
                  a dijeridu giving birth). So my vote is--bring something
                  percussive.

                  --
                  "I've heard of warp drive. I like strawberries."
                  --entire text of unsolicited submission to the NASA Breakthrough
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2 1:12 PM
                    Sounds marvy. I'll still be bringing my Octapad. Need something to
                    trigger my Planet Earth module. But I'll also have some really groovy
                    pre-composed rhythms coming from my computer via various softwares.
                    Then I'll manipulate them a bit either by mixer tweaking or realtime
                    software twiddling. I'll also be doing some synthy stuff via guitar
                    this time(with MIDI pickup), and then looping that for basic
                    soundbeds. Got a really cool sax patch that might play well against
                    your wind instrument. I'll have a ton of hand percussion and various
                    found-sound thingies for use when appropriate. And of course I'll be
                    bringing my Sonic Pipe of Doom for those primordial moments. I'd be
                    happy to do anything tribal/ambient with you. It should provide you
                    more than enough space for melodic embellishments. If you have any
                    other ideas, let me know.

                    Rus/Una

                    > > Rus/Una
                    >
                    > I'd enjoy doing some tribal stuff, as long as something melodic
                    > would fit. I have some appropriate sounds on my VL1 if I can
                    > find room to bring it (and if you don't mind the sound of
                    > a dijeridu giving birth). So my vote is--bring something
                    > percussive.
                    >

                    > --
                    > "I've heard of warp drive. I like strawberries."
                    > --entire text of unsolicited submission to the NASA Breakthrough
                    > Propulsion Physics program office.
                  • Paul Nagle
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2 1:27 PM
                      On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:23:10 -0500, Brian Good <bsgood@...>
                      wrote:

                      >I'd enjoy doing some tribal stuff, as long as something melodic
                      >would fit. I have some appropriate sounds on my VL1 if I can
                      >find room to bring it (and if you don't mind the sound of
                      >a dijeridu giving birth). So my vote is--bring something
                      >percussive.

                      Count me in for tribal also, as long as my murdered goonie bird noises
                      warped by d-beamed dementure fit.

                      Paul
                    • Rus Foster
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2 5:15 PM
                        Paul

                        Looking forward to hearing your non-sequencer side.....not that
                        sequencing is bad.....if I can hop onto the Universal Clock with all
                        the other P3 dudes, I might even contribute a freaky sequence or two...
                        Nonetheless, I'd still like to check out your spacier ambient side --
                        even if it is just gratuitous twiddly noises.....:)

                        Not that gratuitous twiddly noises are bad.....

                        Rus/Una

                        --- In differentskies@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nagle <paul@s...> wrote:

                        > Count me in for tribal also, as long as my murdered goonie bird
                        noises
                        > warped by d-beamed dementure fit.
                        >
                        > Paul
                      • Paul Nagle
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2 11:20 PM
                          On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:15:02 -0000, "Rus Foster"
                          <paintswithsound@...> wrote:

                          >Not that gratuitous twiddly noises are bad.....

                          Indeed. And even the most outrageous of them can be rescued by the
                          correct application of eyebrows.

                          Paul
                        • Jeff Kunzelman
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 4 1:10 PM
                            Russ,

                            I have a Beringher 20 x 4 x 2 mixer that you can use or share with me. It's
                            sliders are a bit rough after being in the desert for 3 years but after a hose
                            down with craig contact cleaner it'll sound fine but doesn't have that feather
                            glide anymore. I will probably use my Technics dj mixer as it has VCA faders
                            and a better sound.

                            There's also a Carver mixer on site if you need something that sounds more
                            like a peavey. ;-)

                            Beringher gear is just ridiculas how cheap it is for the features isn't it?
                            Anyone have any horror stories about it? It seems to becoming the standard for
                            anyone on a budget.

                            On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:15:02 -0000, Rus Foster wrote
                            > Paul
                            >
                            > Looking forward to hearing your non-sequencer side.....not that
                            > sequencing is bad.....if I can hop onto the Universal Clock with all
                            > the other P3 dudes, I might even contribute a freaky sequence or two...
                            > Nonetheless, I'd still like to check out your spacier ambient side --
                            > even if it is just gratuitous twiddly noises.....:)
                            >
                            > Not that gratuitous twiddly noises are bad.....
                            >
                            > Rus/Una
                            >
                            > --- In differentskies@yahoogroups.com, Paul Nagle <paul@s...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Count me in for tribal also, as long as my murdered goonie bird
                            > noises
                            > > warped by d-beamed dementure fit.
                            > >
                            > > Paul

                            > In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers.
                            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/c9hWNA/3MnJAA/n1hLAA/KVjolB/TM

                          • Rus Foster
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 4 10:18 PM
                              Jeff

                              Thanks for the offer. As it turns out, I just bought a refurbished
                              Behringer UB1832FX-Pro mixer on EBAY. I won't tell you how much it
                              was, but suffice it to say that I never pay retail for anything! And
                              I should be able to sell my Peavey for about the same amount and
                              break even! (insert evil scientist cackle here) And they say
                              musicians aren't very good at economics.

                              Regards

                              Rus

                              --- In differentskies@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Kunzelman" <jeff@a...>