Re: Re: (to Darrell) Re: [differentskies] Re: Some Music

  • Moss Parker
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: John Mahoney <jmahoney@...>
      To: differentskies@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 11:11:26 AM
      Subject: Re:Re: (to Darrell) Re: [differentskies] Re: Some Music

      The installers for QT and other players almost always ask you whether
      or not certain file types should be *associated* with that program.
      There is typically a check box, and I'd bet that you simply didn't
      pay attention to the check box during your QuickTime installation
      (you would have had to uncheck it, I think).---------------------------------------

      Well, I too thought this about QT. Also, I do check to see how the associations boxes are set. Even when you uncheck all of the associations boxes in QT, it still associates itself with streaming audio, no matter what the format is. And, because it is QuickTime, it automatically makes the assumption that you want to play it (as opposed to saving it). That is what is truly annoying about QuickTime.

      John 3

      ___

    • Jay Sala
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
        well, i did get JetAudio, and it seems to be ok...i only had enough time to learn a few of the basics, but i certainly does play OGG files, and that's the primarly thing i was looking for. i need to play around with it more before i decide if it is "the" player i'll use most often, and so far, i've not figured it all out, so the jury (in my head only) is still out.

        i'm not completely sure what Bill means by saying that either player is probably better then WinblowsMediaPlayer...i kinda like (or is it that i'm just most used to and familiar with) the Windows Media Player...it does what i like and need it to do (except OGG files, and JetAudio is set-up to play any/all OGG or FLAC file directly and all other formats still go directly thru WMP)...the experimentation continues...next, after i get more familiar with JetAudio, i'll try Winamp  :)
        Sheeeesh...it used to be easy...now i feel like i'm having to turn into some kinda puterweenie just to keep up...LOL

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
          hmmm...i think i've heard of VLC, but dont remember if what i read had good or bad things to say...lol...most probably, it wasn't favoured over some others, or might remember more.

          >Jetaudio also handles 24 bit wav files without getting confused.

          I've used VLC media player successfully: http://www.videolan .org/vlc/

          Phil
          Click to make millions by owning your own franchise.
          http://thirdpartyof fers.juno. com/TGL2141/ fc/Ioyw6i3m6eO8i CnZeEhXkyANPUwUd KRSALQU4jNWS2mhV VLT5akLyD/

        • Jay Sala
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
            ok, maybe when i said that my files were "changed", i was not using the correct terminology? when you say "file associations", that makes more sense, but i've tried QT several times in the past year or so and even when i think i'm paying attention to NOT let it change the associations by looking for and either checking or unchecking the appropriate box, it always does ;( and i certainly dont want to have to reload my preferred player every time QT farts.

            :)

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
              i see (sez the blind man)!
              you guys know all the techy stuff that i'll probably never get a real good grip on...lol
              so, "file association" is what i meant when i said "format changed"...and since i seem to be one of only a few ppl out there that doesn't mind using Winblows Media Player (no real complaints, but wtf do i know!...lol), my system is lost likely set-up to use WMP for all audio files...now that i have JetAudio installed, i set that up to only be "associated" with OGG and FLAC files, coz they are the ones that won't play in WMP.

              From: Moss Parker <moss_parker@ yahoo.com>
              To: differentskies@ yahoogroups. com
              Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 2:06 AM

              In general (and I find this true for about 98% of things), Winamp is a lot easier, a lot faster, and has better codec support than Media Player. Also, Winamp allows you to set the associations of what you want tot default to Winamp to run. So, for example, if you choose MP3 from the menu any time you click on an MP3, Winamp will play it. I agree with you that QuickTime is a pain in the ass. When I load QuickTime, I load it first, and then load (or re-load Winamp), This allows QuickTime to set its associations the the install of Winamp resets them to Winamp. I've not extensively used JetAudio (although, I remember that it does Flac .. Right Bill?). I guess the main point is that either program is probably better than Media Player for most stuff. Personally, I like the way Winamp handles video, and Winamp doesn't seem to get confused by 24 bit .WAV files. Winamp reeally does kick the llama's ass!!!

              John 3

              From: Darrell Burgan <dburga01@yahoo. com>
              Subject: [differentskies] Re: Some Music
              To: differentskies@ yahoogroups. com
              Date: Tuesday, July 1, 2008, 12:20 PM

              Hi Jay - most third party players, including JetAudio, Winamp,
              foobar2000, and most others support OGG right out of the box. I assume
              you're using Windows Media Player or RealPlayer ... ? In any event
              like Bill suggests, I'd recommend you get an alternate player. It's
              hard to go wrong with Winamp, although I've heard positive things
              about JetAudio as well.

              --- In differentskies@ yahoogroups. com, Bill Fox <billyfox@.. .> wrote:

              > Jay Sala wrote:
              > > ...too bad my antique puter (just a small step above using a pointy
              > > stick and a stone tablet!...lol) can't figure out what to do with the
              > > .OGG files...
              > Hi Jay,
              >
              > I'm willing to bet that your old puter is more advanced than my Pentium
              > II 450MHz running Win98 (*not* Win98SE). Download the free Jetaudio
              > player from http://jetaudio. com and you'll be ogg capable plus a whole
              > lot more.
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Bill

            • Jay Sala
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                QT = annoying = Amen!

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I think that you have confused something John 3 (a.k.a. Moss Parker)
                  said, thinking it was my lips moving! ;-)

                  Cheers,

                  Bill

                  Jay Sala wrote:
                  > ...i'm not completely sure what Bill means by saying that either player is probably better then WinblowsMediaPlayer...

                • John Mahoney
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                    At 11:11 AM 7/2/2008, I had written:
                    >[snip]
                    >The installers for QT and other players almost always ask you whether
                    >or not certain file types should be *associated* with that program.
                    >There is typically a check box, and I'd bet that you simply didn't
                    >pay attention to the check box during your QuickTime installation
                    >(you would have had to uncheck it, I think).
                    >[snip]

                    I was wrong: I've been informed that QuickTime automatically
                    associates itself with various streaming audio formats. So, I don't
                    think you did anything "wrong", Jay. Sorry 'bout that!

                    And, thanks to Moss for posting that explanation of what file
                    associations actually are.

                    John
                  • Jay Sala
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                      Thx again...
                      the knowledge you guys show when it comes to this type of stuff really shows me how puter-dumb i am ;(
                      but at least i did know a little about what i was talking about with QT screwing with my files...LOL

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                        Although I agree with the term WinblowsMedia player, I did not bring it up in this thread.

                        John 3

                        Jay Sala wrote:
                        > ...i'm not completely sure what Bill means by saying that either player is probably better then WinblowsMediaPlayer ...

                      • Moss Parker
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008

                          Jay Sala wrote:
                          > ...i'm not completely sure what Bill means by saying that either player is probably better then WinblowsMediaPlayer ...

                        • Jay Sala
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                            i think i'm the guilty party for first mentioning the term "winblows" ... Sorry!

                            Jay Sala wrote:
                            > ...i'm not completely sure what Bill means by saying that either player is probably better then WinblowsMediaPlayer ...

                          • Greg Hurley
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jul 2, 2008
                              you can, of course change any of the associations in any of the media plunkers out there anyways.

                              Greg

                              *****

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jul 3, 2008
                                Jay Sala wrote:
                                > i think i'm the guilty party for first mentioning the term "winblows" ...
                                > Sorry!

                                [sings softly and mournfully, "Any way the winblows...." and hits suspended
                                WinXP laptop as if it was a Chinese gong]

                                --
                                However, you *are* one of the driving forces behind modern
                                electronic music, whether you like it or not. Harrrumph. (deebee)
                                > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > < > <
                                mike metlay / atomiccity.com / mindspiral.com / differentskies.com
                              • Darrell Burgan
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jul 3, 2008
                                  > i'm not completely sure what Bill means by
                                  > saying that either player is probably better
                                  > then WinblowsMediaPlayer...

                                  In my experience at StillStream, whenever a Windoze user writes into
                                  me and says "I can't tune in!", 99.99% of the time they are either
                                  running Windows Media Player or RealPlayer. I've also run into
                                  several MP3 files that WMP could not play but other players had no
                                  problem with.

                                  Anyway there's nothing inherently wrong with WMP, other than it being
                                  very picky about what it will play / not very standards compliant.
                                  :-P Details, I know, but eschewing standards compliance is The
                                  Microsoft Way.
                                • Greg Hurley
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jul 3, 2008
                                    Windoze media plunker runs best when it's alone on a system - like Quickslime on Macs.
                                    IMO.

                                    Although I have no issues here - just try playing an .avi in w(i)mp if you also have Winamp on the same system.

                                    Greg

                                    *****