Re: [diatom_forum] Diatoms of the Arid Southwest

  • Rob Kimmich
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 30 12:40 AM
      Raymond,

      I may try this. I have a jar of permanganate crystals waiting to be used.

      By the way, your latest Fairhaven arrangements are very nice.

      -Rob

      On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM, Raymond <ortholux@...> wrote:
      A friend of mine produces excellent strews with the hydrogen peroxide /
      potassium permanganate method. Often the strews are so clean that one
      would think he uses the hot acid method. This is what he does:

      Add HCl 30% to the sample (same volume as the sample); wait for 2 hrs
      under occasional shaking/swirling;

      Change water/rinse 4 to 5 times to remove HCl;

      Add H2O2 (twice the volume of the sample). Heat to boiling, let it
      gently boil for 2 to 3 hrs;

      Add a saturated solution (in water) of KMnO4; one drop at a time.
      Continue until the reaction has stopped. The sample is quite brown in color;

      Add a milliliter or so of HCl, and then an equal amount of H2O2. This
      removes the brown.

      After this the usual washings.

      All the best,
      Raymond

      Op 30-4-2012 0:07, Richard Carter schreef:
      > Rob,
      >
      > I have some of that peroxide, too. It hasn't worked all that well for me
      > in the past, but I didn't boil for anywhere near 3 hours. I'll give it
      > another try. Thanks for the tip!
      >
      > Dick

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         diatom_forum-digest@yahoogroups.com
         diatom_forum-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Richard Carter
      Message 38 of 38 , May 2, 2012
        Rob,

        A very stimulating post!  I think your list of "questions" is excellent -- I'm sure each of us would offer different answers, but I also think that we each need to consider such questions.

        Thanks much,

        Dick