Re: [diatom_forum] Gomphonema truncatum

  • Richard Carter
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 28 11:32 AM
      Charles,

      I can make a few recommendations as to your diatom images -- but do take them with at least an ounce of salt!  And I think "sub-fossil" better fits the Toome Bridge deposit, as it is quite recent.

      The centrics on Image 2 are interesting.  To the top left is what I have been calling Stephanodiscus rotula (Kützing) Hendey, an ID made when I accepted the then-current synonymy with S. astraea.  Now that they are once again both believed to be good species, I have no idea what to call it -- no access to the publication, as usual.  R. Firth also listed S. neoastraea Håkansson & Hickel from Toome Bridge, so that's worth looking for.  I've not seen one.  I don't recognize the taxon at the top.  The one at the right looks like a Cyclotella, and the one at the bottom is a Puncticulata.

      Image 3 is Cymatopleura elliptica var. hibernica (W. Smith) Van Heurck, very abundant.  The nominate variety occurs rarely in some Toome Bridge samples.

      On Image 9, the middle specimen is Neidium productum (W. Smith) Cleve.  To identify the others would require measurements of striae density.  (I think they are probably the same species.)

      On Image 10, the one next to the bottom shows the characteristic swollen ends and granulation of the axial area of Pinnularia acrosphaeria W. Smith.

      Image 14 looks like two specimens of Epithemia turgida var. westermannii (Ehrenberg) Grunow.  Very similar to E. hyndmanii W. Smith, but with the ends a bit less rounded.

      That's about all I can say, for what little it's worth.................  Very nice photographs, I can say that for sure!

      Regards,

      Dick

      Message 38 of 38 , May 2, 2012
        Rob,

        A very stimulating post!  I think your list of "questions" is excellent -- I'm sure each of us would offer different answers, but I also think that we each need to consider such questions.

        Thanks much,

        Dick