Diatom musing

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27 2:55 PM
      Note: I sent this by e-mail hours ago and it has yet to show up on Yahoo so I'm going to try and post it directly.

      Andy Potter is close to finishing the mounting of the batch of samples from Elizabeth Welsh at UTEP. I will send a set to Richard if he is still interested in helping with identifications. My main purpose is to get some Trans-Pecos records into the list (we currently have none!)

      I agree that amateurs will have some difficulty in identifying materials and I am re-thinking my commitment to further work, once I get at least some Trans-Pecos material listed. I have been able to do little lately, partly because my "lab", such as it is, is currently occupied by my daughter while she gets her second Masters degree (this time in GIS-Epidemiology of arthropod-bourn disease, double major in Geography and Biology to add to her M.A. in Bioarcheology at UC-Santa Barbara) in an attempt to actually get a job. I have other interests, which may take up my time more, and with Mac gone I'm re-evaluating things.

      If I do close down my diatom work I will have a lot of literature, slides, etc, plus microscopes and camera to pass on. Some I may sell, but the material given to me by Mac should simply be passed on. However I have not made a firm decision yet. Richard's and other's remarks on taxonomy are hitting home though.

      David Richman