Re: Gomphonema truncatum

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 24 11:22 PM
      Charles,

      Posted is a combination valve-girdle of G. acuminatum. I'm not sure the
      girdle view of any will help much with identification but at least you
      can see the wedge shape that is the norm. Here [1] are some live
      Gomphoneis (eriense?) but I don't know how similar it is to Gomphonema.

      -Rob

      [1]
      http://micro.chemeketans.org/full_scale.asp?image_name=2008_07_24_1953_1\
      _1.jpg&gen_grp=diatom.asymmetrical%20biraphid&genus=Gomphoneis&num=4&hie\
      rarchy=diatom.asymmetrical%20biraphid&name=

      --- In diatom_forum@yahoogroups.com, "charles" <suslavage@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > Hopefully not to bore everyone I have posted two images of Gomphonema
      truncatum Ehrenberg 1832, synonyms; Gomphonema constrictum var.
      truncatum (Ehrenberg) Gutwinski 1887, Gomphonema constrictum var.
      truncatum (Ehrenberg; Ehrenberg) Gutwinski 1888, or so I hope my ID is
      correct. The first image G_truncatum1 (eight diatoms) are from a lake
      here in California all from the same strew slide. I was looking for
      variation and was surprised in not finding anything of note with the
      exception of one aberrant that lacks the isolated central pore. The
      second G_truncatum2 (three diatoms) are from half a world away from
      Toome Bridge and I believe there are two varieties pictured.

      > I would be interested in seeing a picture from anyone of a living
      Gomphonema and or a frustule in girdle view. I have no idea as to
      identifying this genus if it is not in valve view.

      > I apologize to all especially Dick the T in truncatum on the images
      should be lower case.

      > Charles

    • Richard Carter
      Message 38 of 38 , May 2, 2012
        Rob,

        A very stimulating post!  I think your list of "questions" is excellent -- I'm sure each of us would offer different answers, but I also think that we each need to consider such questions.

        Thanks much,

        Dick