Re: ANSP Taxonomy Workshops

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23 8:25 AM
      Dick,

      Your review of the link from Don Charles helped me see how I might use it and has certainly encouraged me to try it.

      -Rob

      --- In diatom_forum@yahoogroups.com, Richard Carter <rcarter68502@...> wrote:

      > Just a further note to the group on some of the great materials available from the ANSP through the link provided in the email from Don Charles:
      >
      > http://diatom.ansp.org/nawqa/Taxalist.aspx
      >
      > This takes you to a page with numerous links to downloadable datasets and other materials that are incredibly useful for diatom taxonomy.  The 2011 Diatom Taxa dataset is a list of all taxa that occur in the rivers and streams that are being monitored by several publicly-funded projects.  Each name in this list is linked to a separate page for that species in the North American Diatom Ecology Database (NADED), where one can find an image (if one is available), ecological data, geographical distribution in North America (including maps!), etc., etc.  This is a treasure trove of information!
      >
      > For those with deeper interests specifically in taxonomy, I'd really recommend downloading the reports from the taxonomy workshops.  These are full of excellent LM images of diatoms that can be difficult to identify, along with discussions of diagnostic characters.  There is particularly good material on Navicula s.s.and Gomphonema.  (The latter genus has always been a bugbear for me, and I'm really looking forward to straightening out the names I've given to taxa in my collection.)
      >
      > If any of you really want to master the dark art of diatom identification, I'd certainly recommend a thorough exploration of the ANSP materials.
      >
      > Dick

    • Richard Carter
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23 8:43 AM
        Rob,

        Glad you found my little blurb helpful!  I've used their online collection of images for some years -- very useful.  Some of this newer material is really excellent, too.  If you have downloaded Vol. 2 of the Diatoms of Europe from the Russian website, then you will find that the notes and images on Navicula in the taxonomy workshop reports will expand Lange-Bertalot's treatment of the genus for the North American region.  The Gomphonema notes are very good, too, with a lot of references to publications that are more recent than Patrick & Reimer (1975).  I plan to study these documents very intensively for at least the remainder of the year!