Re: [diatom_forum] Modern name for the diatom 'van Heurckia louisiana'?

  • Richard Carter
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19 8:41 AM
      David,

      I think you are referring to Vanheurckia lewisiana (Greville) Brébisson.  As for the correct modern name, this is a bit of a can of worms!  Most diatomists seem to use the name Frickea lewisiana (Greville) Heiden in Schmidt.  If you look up the two genus names in the CAS database, you'll see the history.  They have the same generotype, basionym Navicula lewisiana Greville 1863.  The catalog suggests that both names are validly published, but that Frickea is a superfluous junior synonym.  Patrick and Reimer (1966) use Frickea, however.  (Which they misspell as Frickia, a definite no-no.)  At one time Vanheurckia was officially rejected by the ICBN, which conserved Frustulia.  If we agree that lewisiana is not a member of Frustulia, however, then it would appear that Vanheurckia is the correct generic name.

      Hope this helps,

      Dick

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19 11:00 AM
        Hello Dick

        Many thanks for the very useful and clear taxonomy information. I'll keep an eye out for a prepared slide of the species as am interested in compiling the set of species which Spitta referred to and photographed so well. His photography is very humbling!

        with regards
        David