DI and Weight Gain

  • Derek
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2003
      Hi. I am a 28 year old with DI. I have had Central DI for 7 years
      now. It took doctors 7 months to diagnose it and during that time, I
      was very dehydrated. Because of that, I wasn't able to keep any food
      down. However, I gained 50 pounds and ever since, even when diet and
      excercise, I can't lose the weight. I have been in aerobic classes,
      the treadmill, put myself on restrictive diets, everything, and
      nothing has worked. My blood pressure is in excellent shape, 117/68
      and my cholesterol is in great shape. Also, my pulse rate is low. I
      don't think my weight gain is something that is just a result of
      overeating and lack of excercise. I have had my thyroids checked and
      it wasn't that. Has anyone heard about this happening in DI
      paitents? Could someone check with a doctor or anyone that might
      know of a route I can go. I think I have tried every avenue I can
      think of. Please help me with this. I am very grateful to have my
      health. I do know that the weight right now isn't really a problem,
      but if I am unable to lose it, later in my life, it will be. Please
      let me know if you anyone knows anything I can try. Thanks.
    • Ken'ichi Yamaguchi
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2003
        In message <bls7vg+e7c7@...>
        "[diabetesinsipidus] DI and Weight Gain"
        ""Derek" <d_nimm@...>" wrote:

        > Hi. I am a 28 year old with DI. I have had Central DI for 7
        years now. It took doctors 7 months to diagnose it and during that
        time, I
        > was very dehydrated. Because of that, I wasn't able to keep any
        food down. However, I gained 50 pounds and ever since, even when
        diet and
        > exercise, I can't lose the weight. I have been in aerobic classes,

        > the treadmill, put myself on restrictive diets, everything, and
        > nothing has worked. My blood pressure is in excellent shape, 117/

        >Please let me know if you anyone knows anything I can try.

        diagnoses of endocrine doctors. Desmopressin (DDAVP) of which
        injection you might have been receiving for a long period to
        cure the DI is known to cause on rare occasion a Cushing's
        disease-like symptom that could be a cause of obesity.
        Have you already checked function of the pancreas.

        Any way, if there is no cause found medically, food
        restriction is most important way for protecting your
        body against the overweight. Please take good cake for
        yourself.

        Dr. Ken'ichi Yamaguchi
        Department of Homeostatic Regulation
        and Development, Niigata University
        Graduate School of Medical and Dental
        Sciences Asahimachi-Dori 1,
        Niigata City Niigata 951-8510, Japan
        Phone: +81-025-227-2075; Fax: +81-025-275-6192
        E-mail: kenbo@...-u.ac.jp
      • r d
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2003
          Mr. Yamaguchi ~  I read your response to the 28 year old DI patient, Derek.  My son receives his DDAVP via nasal spray.  Does this Cushings-like effect also occur w/ the spray?  I have never heard of this.  Thank you for your input.

          Sincerely,

          ~ R.D. Dawson.

             ""Derek" <d_nimm@...>" wrote:

          > Hi.  I am a 28 year old with DI.  I have had Central DI for 7
          years now.  It took doctors 7 months to diagnose it and during that
          time, I
          > was very dehydrated.  Because of that, I wasn't able to keep any
          food down.  However, I gained 50 pounds and ever since, even when
          diet and
          > exercise, I can't lose the weight.  I have been in aerobic classes,

          > the treadmill, put myself on restrictive diets, everything, and
          > nothing has worked.  My blood pressure is in excellent shape, 117/

          >Please let me know if you anyone knows anything I can try.

          diagnoses of endocrine doctors. Desmopressin (DDAVP) of which
          injection you might have been receiving for a long period to
          cure the DI is known to cause on rare occasion a Cushing's
          disease-like symptom that could be a cause of obesity.
            Have you already checked function of the pancreas.

            Any way, if there is no cause found medically, food
          restriction is most important way for protecting your
          body against the overweight. Please take good cake for
          yourself.

          Dr. Ken'ichi Yamaguchi
          Department of Homeostatic Regulation
          and Development, Niigata University
          Graduate School of Medical and Dental
          Sciences Asahimachi-Dori 1,
          Niigata City Niigata 951-8510, Japan
          Phone: +81-025-227-2075; Fax: +81-025-275-6192
          E-mail: kenbo@...-u.ac.jp

          Community email addresses:
            Post message: diabetesinsipidus@onelist.com
            Subscribe:    diabetesinsipidus-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
            http://www.onelist.com/community/diabetesinsipidus

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Ken'ichi Yamaguchi
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2003
            In message <20031008023340.12426.qmail@...>
            "Re: [diabetesinsipidus] DI and Weight Gain"
            "r d <rosalied2002@...>" wrote:

            > Does this Cushings-like effect also occur w/ the spray?
            > I have never heard of this. Thank you for your input.

            It seems to me that you need not worry about the use of the nasal
            spray for your son, because the dose for him must be relatively
            fairly smaller. The case I wrote was concerned with the patients
            injected i.v. with a large dose (10 microgram) of DDAVP.

            I pray for good maintenance of healthy condition of your son,
            and for your joyful and peaceful life with him.

            K. Yamaguchi

            > > Hi. I am a 28 year old with DI. I have had Central DI for 7
            > years now. It took doctors 7 months to diagnose it and during
            that
            > time, I
            > > was very dehydrated. Because of that, I wasn't able to keep any

            > food down. However, I gained 50 pounds and ever since, even when
            > diet and
            > > exercise, I can't lose the weight. I have been in aerobic
            classes,

            > > the treadmill, put myself on restrictive diets, everything, and
            > > nothing has worked. My blood pressure is in excellent shape,
            117/

            > >Please let me know if you anyone knows anything I can try.

            > diagnoses of endocrine doctors. Desmopressin (DDAVP) of which
            > injection you might have been receiving for a long period to
            > cure the DI is known to cause on rare occasion a Cushing's
            > disease-like symptom that could be a cause of obesity.
            > Have you already checked function of the pancreas.
            >
            > Any way, if there is no cause found medically, food
            > restriction is most important way for protecting your
            > body against the overweight. Please take good cake for
            > yourself.
            >
            > Dr. Ken'ichi Yamaguchi
            > Department of Homeostatic Regulation
            > and Development, Niigata University
            > Graduate School of Medical and Dental
            > Sciences Asahimachi-Dori 1,
            > Niigata City Niigata 951-8510, Japan
            > Phone: +81-025-227-2075; Fax: +81-025-275-6192
            > E-mail: kenbo@...-u.ac.jp
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > Community email addresses:
            > Post message: diabetesinsipidus@onelist.com
            > Subscribe: diabetesinsipidus-subscribe@onelist.com
            >
            > Shortcut URL to this page:
            > http://www.onelist.com/community/diabetesinsipidus

            Service.

          • Derek
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2003
              The weight gain happened even before I started treatment for my DI.
              I think that the Cushing's disease might be an answer since the
              weight gain happened as I developed the DI. Thanks for your input.

              --- In diabetesinsipidus@yahoogroups.com, r d <rosalied2002@y...>

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2003
                Thank you so much for your input. I am going to talk to my
                Endocrinologist and see if we can have that tested. Thanks again.

                --- In diabetesinsipidus@yahoogroups.com, "Ken'ichi Yamaguchi"