Question on salt / sodium intake.

  • cdi_mike
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      I have had central DI for many years. I was only diagnosed & started
      taking DDAVP this year.

      I have generally eaten more salt than most people. While no one else
      in my family has DI, my whole family seems to eat quite a bit more
      salt than average. In general, I have found that drinking water &
      eating salt always made me feel better.

      Since being diagnosed with DI, I have read about people with DI being
      careful to reduce their salt intake.

      Does the need to reduce salt intake only apply to NDI or also to CDI?

      Since I have been taking DDAVP, it seems that I get to feeling very
      bad (nauseated, stomach ache, head ache, light headed) if I cut down
      on my salt intake too much ... but I also seem to feel crummy if I eat
      as much salt as before.

      Has anyone else had experiences about DI & salt intake?

      Even when on DDAVP, I have an output of 5 Liters per day (down from 8
      to 11 Liters per day before.) I am wondering if people with DI tend
      to loose more salt than average through their high urine volumes and
      therefore need more salt. I am not at all sure of this.

      I would greatly appreciate any comments.

      Thanks to anyone that responds.

      Cdi_Mike
    • colleen fadollone
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        I would like to know this answer also as I have always been a heavy salt user and cooked my food
        by pouring the salt from the box into the food because salt shaker was too limiting. Most people
        couldn't eat my food but my children are the same as me and most of my brothers and sisters and
        father. have found out that my brother and I both have it, we both went to the research center
        together.

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com