Anyone ever hear of a water drinking contest??

  • vorph666
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
      I've been seeing eating contests on TV lately which brought a water
      drinking contest to mind... I can't find mention of one anywhere!
      Closest I've found was a mention on one of the shows about a milk
      (YUCK!) drinking contest in Panama or something... this guy said the
      record there was a gallon in 5 minutes, and this guy said he could
      drink a gallon in 3 minutes... Which makes me wonder if there is a
      contest for drinking water... I bet some of us (okay... ME!) could
      whip some butt in one! I used to have drinking contests (milk) in
      elementary school and I would open my carton and basically drink it
      in 1 or 2 gulps, while the other kids would be soooo sloowwww...

      Maybe a water drinking contest would be good for educating people
      about DI? And it's not like the water would cost much LOL unlike
      some food eating contests!

      Anyone else still drink massive amounts of water? I know a lot of
      you take DDAVP...

      I don't take DDAVP (though I have used it...) and I used to drink a
      64oz glass all at once and I reduced that to 32oz but I can drink
      that and refill and drink part of that and refill to keep by my
      side... I wonder how much it would take to stretch my stomach to
      hold a gallon?? I find that I am really thirsty in the winter,
      sometimes... I drink so much I almost get sick and I'm STILL
      thirsty! Fortunately the water moves pretty quickly.. lol...

      -Merry
    • mskewlgal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
        Merry,

        My thirst is still exceptional, even after ten years of DDAVP. However, I
        have learned that carbonated drinks, and ice-laden drinks, quench it more
        than anything. Has anyone else noticed that plain water doesn't seem to
        quench it quickly enough?

        Steph
      • DTaylo5397@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
          Yes, there are times when I still could almost gulp down a gallon of COLD water.  Sometimes drink 3 to 4 10 oz glasses and still come back in a minute or two for more.  Then of course I spend the rest of the time in the "library"
          Debra
        • MATapia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
          • MATapia@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
              lol, i have always wondered about that too (water drinking contest)! i have
              done that with my cousins and they've given up on me. that was when i haven't
              found out i have DI. now, i still haven't told them yet and still they give
              up. mile? yuck!

              water anyone?
            • colleen fadollone
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
                Hi

                I know what you mean, I don't take medecine for it either because when I went to the research
                hospital and they gave me the medecine I got sodium poisining and vomited for 24 hours so decided
                not to take medecine. I keep a tall plastic quart container always full in the refrigerator
                because I need the water to be ice cold and if I took a new glass everytime I wanted a drink, I
                would not have enough to last a day. I drink at night also and of course urinate all night so
                don't get much sleep. I guess that is why I am always ready for bed by 6pm, makes for a very
                interesting life doesn't it? I can never be satisfied with enough water either, I love ice water.

                http://mail.yahoo.com/
              • KateriJoan@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 5, 2002
                  I've seen those eating contests on tv recently too, and my 10 year old son
                  wondered the same thing. He has NDI, and is sure he can out-drink anybody!
                  I also have three brothers who have it and they would be some pretty fierce
                  competition too! LOL

                  Kathy
                • verodujardin@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
                    Hello

                    I have a CDI and take DDAVP (0,4 mg every 8 hours): I just drink 1,5 l / 24 h
                    now, and I am not thristy! Just when I can not take my DDAVP in time. Without
                    DDAVP, I urinate (and drink) more than 20 l/ 24 h. If you have CDI, you must
                    take DDAVP

                    Bye

                    Veronique Dujardin
                  • DTaylo5397@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
                      Can you please tell me what is CDI?  I don't know why I take DDAVP except because of my pituitary being damaged by a brain tumor and it screwed my whole endo system up.

                      Debra
                    • Merry Macpherson
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 6, 2002
                        Not for me, I still need to drink water when drinking something else... I
                        will feel really dry and choked if I don't. It's not unheard of for me to
                        leave a restaurant after having something like 5 Cokes and need to get a
                        bottle of water for the ride home!

                        The absolute worst I can think of was once we were at a pet store (one that
                        specialized in fish) and they had a bathroom but NO WATER FOUNTAIN... I
                        seriously was thinking about drinking from a fish tank... Fortunately there
                        was a gas station down the road. I was soooo thirsty I almost couldn't
                        breathe anymore! I usually drink water straight from the tap, no ice. Winter
                        is better for that though, because the water is much colder.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
                          --- In diabetesinsipidus@y..., DTaylo5397@a... wrote:
                          > Can you please tell me what is CDI? I don't know why I take DDAVP
                          except
                          > because of my pituitary being damaged by a brain tumor and it
                          screwed my
                          > whole endo system up.
                          >
                          > Debra

                          Central Diabetes Insipidus... your pituitary gland is not producing
                          any (or enough) ADH (anti-diruetic hormone). This means your kidneys
                          aren't getting the "instructions" needed to keep a fluid balance in
                          your body. They will filter out all the water, which makes you
                          really thirsty. Taking DDAVP (a synthetic version of ADH) replaces
                          the missing hormone and makes your kidneys work properly.

                          Probably not the most eloquent explanation but hope that helps!

                          -Merry
                        • DTaylo5397@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
                            Thanks so much for the description.  I've always had trouble explaining it to people.  All I could say was I urinate and drink lots and the meds help not to do that.  Every time I say diabetes insipidus all think I have a sugar problem or on insulin.  Wonder why is in the diabetes family at all?

                            Debra
                          • colleen fadollone
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
                              Hi Debra

                              I read that diabetes is a Greek word for thirst and both types of diabetes cause thirst, I guess
                              that is why they both habe the first word of diabetes it is the second word attached insipidus or
                              metellis (no sure of the spelling)indicates what type you have,unfortunately the medical
                              profession don't know about the insipidus type and won't listen to us when we try to tell them,
                              they would rather put us on prozac when we try to tell them anything.

                              http://mail.yahoo.com/
                            • Kurban2383@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 7, 2002
                                I will be graduating from nursing school in a month as an RN.  I also have CDI.  The medical profession does know the difference but since the DI is rare and does not cause all the problems that DM does we spend about 2 minutes studying DI and a lot of time on DM.  When you get into practice you tend to push to the back of your mind the things you don't use and the info on DI is rarely used.  I have taken the time, in my nursing class, to make sure that everyone is aware of DI and knows the difference because I also have had to explain the disease to a lot of people in my profession.  The key here is to know all you can about our disease and just be prepared to teach it to everyone who will listen.

                                I noticed that everyone mentioned that they like iced/very cold drinks -- usually water (same with me).  There is a reason for this.  The ice/cold can actually stimulate the pituitary to secrete the ADH if your hypothalamus makes any.

                                The term Diabetes means to flow through and the Insipidus means bland tasteless, as in the very unconcentrated water we produce. Mellitus however means sweet because a diabetic has sugar in their urine.

                                Karen