Re: new member

  • alwaysthirsty123
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 2, 2004
      I am in the process of being diag. with CDI
      Getting the "right"doctor to work with me and get some answer's has
      been so HARD. I understand what your going through.

      I will say that I'm 29 and have been feeling this way for a good
      while and it's only now that I'm starting to get some answers. This
      board has been really helped.

      If I hadn't been lucky with my last doctor REQUESTING an MRI I would
      still be wondering what's going on.......

      About the foot problem, I can tell you that I have had problems with
      my feet falling asleep for sometime now. Even when I am sitting
      still. I also am a dancer and at times struggle with being out of
      breath.......... I am NOT a doctor but wanted to share with you. I
      too at still in the being of this, so if I find out anything
      regarding feet and shortness of breath I will write back.
      Good luck!

      Renee

    • Emily
      Message 2 of 27 , May 29 8:24 PM
        Hi everyone,
        I just found out this week that the doctors think that I might
        have diabetes insipidus. I have looked around on the internet and
        think it might be, but I am not sure. I went to the doctor because I
        am thirsty all of the time and consequently I am urinating all of
        the time. When I went my urine was clear which is what led him to
        believe this is the problem, but it does get some color if I have to
        go a period of time without drinking. Is that normal with this? I am
        currently drinking about 30 sixteen ounce bottles of water a day. If
        I go very long I feel like I am dehydrating. I have to plan
        activities around if there is a bathroom available. I feel like it
        is running my life right now. It came on rather suddenly about a
        month ago. Is this typical? I am scheduled for a water restriction
        test on the ninth of June so I guess I will find out for sure then,
        but in the meantime I just wondered if these things were typical for
        this disease or if it was more likely something else. They did a lot
        of blood tests and said the results were fairly normal. I do not
        know what exactly that means. The doctor I went to had heard of it,
        but never seen it, so I don't know if he knows what he is talking
        about. He referred me to an endocrinologist. Thanks in advance for
        any information.
        Emily
      • emazzi
        Message 3 of 27 , May 29 8:35 PM
          Emily, I have had this problem since birth, first question did you have any head injuries recently, second questions why are you drinking so much now? Complicated issue, if you are drinking that much water you should be going frequently, are you on any meds? and if so what kind? Caffeeine intake? A lof of coffee. Please reply. I will answer questions to the best of my ability Eric
[...]

          Community email addresses:
            Post message: diabetesinsipidus@onelist.com
            Subscribe:    diabetesinsipidus-subscribe@onelist.com

          Shortcut URL to this page:
            http://www.onelist.com/community/diabetesinsipidus

        • Emily
          Message 4 of 27 , May 29 9:57 PM
            I have not had any head injuries. I am drinking so much because I am so thirsty. I am on some meds for asthma, but the doctors said they have nothing to do with this. I do not drink any caffeine at all. I just drink cold water all of the time. I have tried to not drink as much, but my mouth gets extremely dry, my lips get really chapped, and my head starts to hurt. If I drink a lot I do not have these problems. I feel much better when I drink as much as I feel like I need to, but then it is frustrating to have to urinate so much. I am waking up at least four times a night to go to the bathroom and with extreme thirst. I don't know what else to do. Thanks, Emily

            emazzi <emazzi@...> wrote:
[...]

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • cpoego@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , May 30 7:03 AM
              Hi Emily,

              Here's some website for you to check out.  I have seen several people mention acquiring DI through head trauma.

              Best thoughts to you, Emily!

              Cherri

              Message 6 of 27 , May 30 8:44 AM
                Dear Emily,
                When did the thirst happen, Also do not trust a doctors opinion on medication effects, look the medicen side effects up, how long have you been on asma meds? Have you changed meds, or have these been the same meds, I can relate to going at nite, without dirining I go 12-15 times a nite. If you list the meds I will give you the side effects. Meds can make you thirsty, the only reason you are going so much is because you are drinking a lot, the main question is meds, not DI. That just not happen without a head injury. Please respond, I am in doubt of your opinion, but before some schmuck Dr. that has no Idea of meds, that had no knowledge of meds tells you that is not it, please research all possibilites, also vitamins, B complex vitamins can cause increased output of urine. Please respond when you can. Eric

                Message 7 of 27 , May 30 9:13 AM
                  I have always been thirsty and gone to the bathroom a lot. It has just gotten A LOT worse in the last month. I have been on the same asthma meds for several years without any problems. I have not changed my doses at all. Also, when I look them up I do not see increased thirst as a side effect. I do not take any vitamins so that is probably not it. THe doctor that I saw made several calls to doctors at the local University and they all seemed to think this was what it was. When I looked on the internet they said there were several cases that were ideopathic. Based on my symptoms, do you think it sounds like DI or something else? I know that the need to drink is not all in my head. I am seriously extremely thirsty, and experience symptoms of dehydration if I go without drinking for very long.
                  Emily

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 30 7:12 PM
                      Hi Emily,
                      I also had not had a head injury and my DI developed overnight.I lived my life around bathrooms and water fountains for over 13 years before I could find a doctor to take me somewhat serious,he too was a nut though, and wanted to first give me bladder expanders and send me to a psychiatrist to find out why I wanted to drink all this water. Anyways, he had to run this past the Doctor of the clinic who was in charge because he was still an intern. and that Doctor thought that they should go ahead and try DDAVP first just in case it was DI and not all in my head.I got a bottle of it from them in the rhinal tube version, and it worked immediently and I slept the entire night for the first time since I was 12.

                      I then saw an Endocrinologist who confirmed DI and have been taking DDAVP ever since.I ow use the spray form of DDAVP.

                      Anyways, I just wanted you to know that there are a lot of idiopathic cases of DI and it can develop suddenly.

                      Christie W
                    • Emily

                          Message 12 of 27 , May 31 2:21 PM
                            Hi Emily!
                            Welcome to the group! I have Diabetes Insipidus, along with
                            Hypothyroidism and Adrenaline Insufficiency, due to a brain tumor I
                            had when I was 12. I thought you would like to know that DI is also
                            called water diabetes. It is not the same as regular diabetes, and
                            the treatment for it is different. DDAVP is a great help and an
                            essential medication for me. Good Luck!

                            Stephanie
                          • Dan Williams
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 31 4:20 PM
                              Hi Emily

                              I got Diabetes Incipidus just after my 18th birthday! which sucked coz over here in england the legal drinking age is 18!!! so i had to learn to adapt to taking meds and being able to go to the pub with friends and being able to get drunk and having a good time with friends! But i have always had the frame of mind that this wont stop me from doing anything, and since have gone on holiday to phoenix (Arizona) one of the hottest places an English man can go!!! and continue a good social life down the pub!  So i guess what I'm saying is once you have all your meds sorted and your happy with everything, dont let this stop you from doing anything and living your life to the fullest! Or making it the central point in your life coz otherwise you will just dewl on what it would have been like if you hadn't got it! anyways good luck and deal with it the best ya can, its what i have done!

                              cheers

                              Dan

                            • Chillin0016@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 4, 2004
                                Eric, I don't want to contradict you, as of course you know all about DI and have had it your whole life, but DDAVP is generally only effective in Central and Gestagenic Diabetes Insipidus. Other medications are used to treat Nephrogenic DI (such as hydrochlorothiazide and indomethacin), and Primary Polydipsia (Dipsogenic DI) is almost never treatable with medication. And it sounds to me (from the extensive research I have done in the recent past, though in no way am I claiming myself to be an expert) that Emily has Primary Polydipsia.

                                From what I've heard, she's had her symptoms for a very long time--before she even started the Prednisone or Advair--they only just recently became problematic. Knowing that her polydipsia causes her polyuria (and not the other way around) practically rules out both CDI and NDI; and she isn't pregnant (or so she hasn't claimed), so it wouldn't be GDI. That leaves only PP. In addition--and as you said--her urine is only clear when she drinks excessively; when she drinks less, her urine gets darker; that is cause to believe that the values of her urine osmolality fluctuate greatly depending upon how much she drinks. (Emily, don't you just love us talking about your urine? *friendly smile*) In both CDI and NDI, the kidneys pass large volumes of dilute urine, either because the hypothalamus secretes too little vasopressin, or because the kidneys cannot respond to the vasopressin secreted; in both cases, the patient's urine osmolality values are low regardless of how much they drink. This sends us again to the possible conclusion that Emily has Primary Polydipsia (Dipsogenic DI) as opposed to CDI or NDI.

                                Now, more often than not, the cause of excessive thirst in PP is hypothalamic dysfunction. A brain scan would show any growths or malignancies on Emily's hypothalamus. Sometimes, however, the cause is ideopathic and cannot be determined from a brainscan or etiology (though in Emily's case, I'd say it be studied extensively to find the cause if an MRI shows up normal--but again: not an expert).

                                And, I think I'm done speiling now. Emily, hope I helped. Eric, hope I didn't scare ya too much. heh.

                                Jennifer e.h.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 4, 2004
                                    No, I have not had any injuries at all and I have never been to a chiropractor.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 4, 2004
                                      Dear Emily,
                                      Please hang in there. Most everyone here has had a difficult time
                                      getting a diagnosis. I hope your endocrinologist will be able to help
                                      you. I tried the same thing whenever i went to the movies. I would
                                      end up with a pounding headache in the back of my head. It felt as
                                      though i had a hangover. Sometimes these headaches would last for
                                      days. Good luck with your appointment and if you end up getting an
                                      answer you don't like don't hesitate to find another doctor you like
                                      better
                                      jessie.

                                    • Stephanie
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 6, 2004
                                        Hi Emily!
                                        Welcome to the group! There are a lot of supportive people
                                        here! Have you had your sodium checked? Diabetes Insipidus is also
                                        know as water diabetes, and is affected by your sodium level. Just
                                        thought I'd mention that. Just one other thing to take into
                                        consideration. Good Luck!
                                        Stephanie