No activity in last 7 days
This group is for discussion of matters concerning the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway. Opened in 1881, this is the oldest really long narrow-gauge mountain railway in the world. In 80km (50 miles) it rises 7000ft from the plains of North Bengal to one of India's oldest Hill Stations. The scenery is spectacular. In December 1999, the DHR was listed as a World Heritage site, the second railway to acheive this honour. After some years of neglect, work is going forward on a substantial refurbishment. DHR support societies exist in Australia, India, and the U.K. More details can be found at http://www.dhrsa.org.au.
- Jan 17, 2001
- This is a restricted group.
- Attachments are not permitted.
- Members cannot hide email address.
- Listed in Yahoo Groups directory.
- Membership requires approval.
- Messages are not moderated.
- All members can post messages.