Song of the Day #648: thaayE yasOdha from Morning Raga(English).

  • Balaji Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2005
      Song of the Day: thaayE yasOdha from Morning Raga(English).

      http://www.dhool.com/sotd2/648.html

      - Sung by Sudha Raghunathan and Ranjani Ramakrishnan. Music by Mani
      Sharma, Amit Heri.

      - Morning Raga was Mahesh Dattani's second film, after "Mango Souffle".
      It starred Shabana Azmi, Naazar, Prakash Rao and others.

      - I caught the movie in DVD recently. It has a good premise; Shabana
      Azmi is a Carnatic Singer who suffered a terrible tragedy earlier when
      her friend and violinist died in an accident. The accident occurs when
      the bus carrying the duo tries to cross a bridge to get to the city.
      Ever since that incident, Shabana has refused to sing in concerts and
      refuses to cross the bridge.

      The son of the lady who died in the accident returns to the village
      after several years. He slowly changes Shabana into accepting him and
      facing and overcoming her own fears. Music heals the old wounds and they
      all recuperate from the tragedy. As you might have guessed by now, the
      film predictably ends with Shabana crossing the bridge and singing in a
      cathartic concert.

      The film is set in the rural areas of Andhra Pradesh, and ace
      cinematographer Rajeev Menon's work captures the vibrant colors and lush
      scenery of the countryside. Several shots in the film are like picture
      postcards. Shabana Azmi looks good, wears colorful sarees and lip-syncs
      the classical songs to perfection. The flimsy storyline doesn't help the
      development of characters; Naazar as the son's father is probably the
      most ill-developed character in the film. Most of the scenes are
      predictable; That prevents the film from gathering momentum at any
      point.

      The script calls for a powerful musical work; There is the classical
      carnatic part, to suit Shabana's character. There is the fusion
      experiment that the son deals with, as a part of finding his inner self
      and realizing his true calling. Mani Sharma and Amit Heri have done an
      excellent job in the album and in the background music. The album itself
      contains songs that didn't make it into the film, but are worth
      listening to. Bombay Jayashree, Kalyani Menon and Sudha Raghunathan have
      done the bulk of the singing. The album also contains a bunch of
      instrumental pieces that are used as BGMs in the film.

      The climax song is today's SOTD. The composers take a well-established
      route to fusion, by replacing the carnatic percussion with western
      instruments. I liked the initial violin reply to Sudha's thOdi
      aalaapanai, which was different from the usual carnatic style. Check it
      out.

      - I was not aware of Amit Heri before I heard this album. Since then,
      I've listened to his own CD. He is a highly talented guitarist who
      seamlessly blends Indian Classical with Jazz. He is based in Bangalore,
      I believe and his career graph and style of music look similar to our
      own Guitar Prasanna. An artist to look out for.