Galaboda-one day family hike

  • Saminda Basnayake
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 561 KB

    Hi Friends,

    We are going to go to Galaboda Falls on 30th. I am happy to tell that lot of them has confirmed their presence in the journey. Rain will not affect our journey as these days rain fall is mostly during the night. We have organised the railway quarterz for a rest (arranged by Amal Palliyaguruge). We have also arranged coffe and snacks as well. If there is anyone who hasn't informed, Please inform us if you are ready to enjoy with us on that day. There are some pics attached here with. We will be following the schedule made by Suminda Withanarachchi.

    Regards

     Saminda Basnayake

    072-7196111/ 081-2422575

    GALABODA

    Galboda is an isolated village located in between Nawalapitiya & Watawala, in the Colombo-Badulla, the upcountry railway. Since there is not a well developed road system yet, the railway is the only source of transportation for the villages & travelers.

    Galboda is important to travelers due to two reasons. One is the famous Galboda waterfall. The other is the natural water spring located in the back yard of the railway Station. It is known as the source of portable water with the highest in gravity in the south Asia. On the other hand the tastiest water in the south Asia. Therefore it had been used to supply portable water to the Governors’ palace at Colombo in colonial times.

    ranges from between 3m and 6m,  beautiful, virgin & ever young due to the high rainfall received to the catchments area through out the year.( the closest town is Watawala, where received the highest annual rainfall out of the country - Annual rainfall here exceeds 4500mm, 60% of the rain coming from the south-west monsoon (dry season is January to February).

    At certain times of year, the water also cascades in two streams. Growing in the surrounding woodland is a rare species of orchid and the vicinity is home to a wide variety of wildlife. Among them are 12 species of reptile and four are only found in Sri Lanka. The upper section of the fall is unique in its biodiversity, thus it is of paramount importance to limit any potential danger to the area.

    The name of the fall, (Galboda means ‘fall adjoining the stone’) is said to derive from the large boulder situated at its foot, though another theory is that the water here is heavier than anywhere else on the island.