[dsg] The World in the Buddhist Sense. Ch 1, no 5.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      Dear friends,

      Is it true that there is more awareness when we do things which do
      not require much attention? At the Japanese school I have to be
      attentive to the teacher who asks me questions in Japanese which I
      have to answer, applying the grammar I learnt. We should not exclude
      beforehand the arising of awareness in such situations. If there can
      be awareness sometimes of different realities one can begin to
      develop understanding of them. Mindfulness arises when there are
      conditions for its arising and we cannot say beforehand, �In such
      circumstances it will arise, in such circumstances it will not
      arise�. Awareness is anatt�, not self. We may think that it cannot
      arise in particular circumstances, but this is only our thinking. We
      should realize such a moment of thinking as only a kind of n�ma which
      arises because of conditions.
      Sati, mindfulness, of the Eightfold Path will not arise often when it
      has not been accumulated enough yet. We may take for mindfulness what
      is actually only a sensation of quietness and �some notion of what is
      going on�, as you write. But this is not knowing a characteristic of
      a reality which appears through one of the six doors, it is merely
      pondering at leisure.
      When hardness is experienced through touch we may take for sati what
      is actually attachment. Do we wish to have many moments of sati? Then
      we are clinging and right understanding cannot develop. Our aim
      should be to learn more about the realities which appear one at a
      time. We cling to visible object, sound and all the other sense
      objects. We may not notice it that we cling to them, but is it not
      true that we are usually absorbed by these objects and think about
      them for a long time? We think that we see people and different
      things, but we can learn that what appears through eyes is only
      visible object. We think that we hear the voice of someone, but what
      appears through the ears is only sound, there is no person in the
      sound. We can learn to consider the phenomena of our daily life as
      only different realities which appear one at a time.

      *******