Re: What the Buddha said... to whom?

  • abhidhammika
    Message 1 of 76 , Jan 31, 2009
      Dear Scott, Howard, Robert Ep, Herman, colette, Robert K, Nina,
      Alex, Alberto and all

      How are you?

      Scott asked:

      "what is, for example, 'making personal effort'?"

      Suan answers:

      Making personal effort refers to the phenomenon of self-motivation
      or internal motivation in contrast to external motivation. This
      shows that a sasankhaarika mental event can arise either through
      internal motivation or external motivation or through both types of
      motivation.

      Whenever a transmitter of the Buddha's pure Theravada teachings uses
      the terms like person or self, those terms are used only for the
      linguistic convenience.

      So, whenever I, as a teacher of pure Theravada, use the terms like
      person or self, I use them to facilitate the linguistic smooth flow.

      Scott asked:

      "What is the role of pa~n~naa in this, in your opinion (because the
      distinction between Right Effort and Wrong Effort is known by
      pa~n~naa)?"

      Suan answers:

      Only because a person is wise enough to know the efficacy of formal
      Theravada Buddhist meditation methods such as those the Buddha
      taught in Mahaa Satipa.t.thaana Suttam, he or she would use either
      internal motivation or external motivation or both types of
      motivation to choose and undertake a suitable form of meditation
      method or a group of methods. Once this formal practice becomes his
      or her second nature, he or she can undertake formal Theravada
      meditation at will (asankhaarikam).

      Thus, the role of paññaa is already there in making personal effort
      or being motivated by external factors when generating a superior
      meritorious deed such as undertaking formal Theravada meditation.

      Best wishes,

      Suan Lu Zaw

      www.bodhiology.org

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <scduncan@...>
      wrote:

      Dear Suan,

      Regarding:

      "Suan answers:
      1. A mental event can arise without being prompted.
      2. Making personal effort, or being persuaded or motivated by good
      well-wishers such as friends or family members or meditation
      instructor or societal culture such as living in a Buddhist country
      are what prompt a mental event for it to arise.
      3. A mental event is prompted."

      Scott: Answers '1' and '3' are satisfactory.

      For answer '2', what is, for example, 'making personal effort'?

      <>

      What is the role of pa~n~naa in this, in your opinion (because the
      distinction between Right Effort and Wrong Effort is known by
      pa~n~naa)?

      Sincerely,

      Scott.
    • szmicio
      Message 76 of 76 , Feb 16, 2009
        Dear Sarah

        > S: I think that the more understanding there is now, the closer we
        get to considering the qualities of a sotapanna, little by little.

        L: I am happy that you support me so much. When there are doubts,
        nothing is sure, clear.

        I am happy i met wise friends, I don't care about anything now. old
        kamma brings me here, old kamma gives me wise friends ,That's it.
        Nothing i can do more. Seed was planted , let it grow.

        > p.s. Will speak later after settling back in Hong Kong in a couple
        of days.

        L: No problem.

        My best wishes
        Lukas