Re: [dsg] Understanding White Powder - Section 1

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 57 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi, Scott -

      In a message dated 1/1/2009 2:24:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      scduncan@... writes:

      Dear Howard,

      Regarding:

      Howard: "That nonexistence refrain aside, what was the issue was not
      'existence' but the question of whether various unusual experiences
      are hallucinations that are chemically induced or whether they are
      genuine events."

      Scott: I don't set aside the question of realities, Howard.
      Howard:
      I do at the moment, because it is not the matter at hand.

      This is
      one of the most disputed concerns on the list. And as far as 'unusual
      experiences' go, I've said before that these are neither to be trusted
      nor pursued.
      Howard:
      I don't pursue them.

      What jhaana and 'meditation' enthusiasts chase after and take for
      jhaana is, in my opinion, very likely a panoply of 'unusual
      experiences' nowhere near jhaana, and of no account.
      ---------------------------------------
      Howard:
      The Buddha was a jhana and meditation enthusiast. And you have no basis
      in knowing what anyone else experiences, Scott.
      ---------------------------------------

      The Buddha
      doesn't speak of 'chemicals' and to consider 'chemically-produced'
      anything, in relation to the Dhamma, is just not possible.
      Howard:
      Do you think I disagree? (I do not.)

      Dhamma and the current state of the evolving conceptual realm of
      neuroscience have nothing whatsoever to do with one another. As I've
      enthused at other times:

      Science schmience.
      ---------------------------------------
      Howard:
      Well said! ;-))
      --------------------------------------

      Brain is meat.

      Eclecticism is for musical tastes, not Dhamma.
      ---------------------------------------
      Howard:
      That's true. (I'm pescetarian, if that's a word, but I do hear that
      sauteed brain can be quite delicious, especially if prepared with peppers and
      onion!)
      --------------------------------------

      H: "The Buddha certainly spoke of psychic phenomena including
      out-of-body experience, divine eye, hearing at great distances,
      levitation, etc. (With regard to the levitation the Buddha spoke of,
      BTW, it is a *body* that levitates, which means that the body
      'exists'! The mode of its existence is another matter. It's empty
      nature; i.e., it's complete dependence on conditions and on component
      phenomena all of which are also empty of core and substance, is
      another story.)"

      Scott: The pursuit of these 'psychic phenomena' is unnecessary.
      --------------------------------------
      Howard:
      I don't pursue them. Jhanas, OTOH, are part and parcel of the path.
      Whatever iddhis (is that the word?) develop concomitantly just do so, IMO.
      ------------------------------------

      'Bodies' do not 'exist.' The rest - about emptiness and that - is a
      common litany chanted by a few.
      -------------------------------------
      Howard:
      ROFL! You speak of litanies? ;-)
      ------------------------------------

      Sincerely,

      Scott.

      ========================

      /Suppose there were a river, flowing down from the mountains — going far,
      its current swift, carrying everything with it — and a man would open channels
      leading away from it on both sides, so that the current in the middle of the
      river would be dispersed, diffused, & dissipated; it wouldn't go far, its
      current wouldn't be swift, and it wouldn't carry everything with it. In the same
      way, when a seeker has not abandoned these five obstacles, hindrances that
      overwhelm awareness and weaken discernment, i.e., sensual desire, ill will,
      sloth & torpor, restlessness & anxiety, and sceptical doubt, when s/he is
      without strength and too weak in discernment to understand what is for one's own
      benefit, to understand what is for the benefit of others, to understand what
      is for the benefit of both, then to realize a superior human state, a truly
      noble distinction in knowledge & vision: that is impossible/

      (From the Avarana Sutta)

    • Scott
      Message 57 of 57 , Jan 6, 2009
        Dear Herman,

        Regarding (the Unthinkable):

        H: "...I used to have a Hammond clone, with a standalone Leslie. It was
        sweet. I traded it in........ for my first computer. Ignorance abounds"
        :-)

        Scott: OMG - seriously.

        Sincerely,

        Scott.