[dsg] Re: The object of meditation in metta meditation

  • kenhowardau
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Herman,

      -------------
      H: > Here's wishing you a happy New Year.
      -------------

      Thanks, Herman, and the same to you.

      ----------------------
      KH: > > There is nothing wrong with the present reality.

      H: > It depends on who is talking.
      --------------

      Or it depends on what is meant. In this case I meant 'for the
      purposes of satipatthana.'

      -------------------------
      <. . .>
      H: > With the arising of satipatthana, one sees that the present
      reality consists only of a continuous flight from the past to the
      future.
      -------------------------

      A "flight?" That doesn't sound right to me. The past no longer exists
      and the future has never existed. The present reality is all there is!

      -------------------------------
      H: > And that the engine for this continuous movement is craving. As
      long as there is craving, there is the flight towards future
      becoming. And that is because there is something wrong with the
      present, namely that it is void of self.
      --------------------------------

      Conditioned reality is always devoid of self. So too is nibbana. That
      is the way things are. It's the Dhamma! There is nothing wrong with
      the Dhamma. :-)

      Ken H
      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 23, 2009
        Hi Robert

        > It still doesn't make sense to me that having *any* view of "another
        > sentient being" could ever be kusala, given that it is a delusion.
        > Having kusala metta arise for a delusory concept of a person would
        > seem to be wishing non-suffering to a source of suffering, namely
        the
        > very illusion of self that we are trying to gain release from.

        Would you mind clarifying what you mean by a "view of "another
        sentient being"". Do you mean just any idea at all? If so that
        would suggest that most people's day was filled with wrong view.

        As I understand it there is a distinction to be made between the
        concept of a being and the view that beings are 'real' in the
        ultimate sense. The former does not necessarily imply the latter.